Do they ask if you are human, to become a monk?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
thepea

Do they ask if you are human, to become a monk?

Post by thepea »

Race vs species, is this the reason this question is asked?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Do they ask if you are human, to become a monk?

Post by DNS »

thepea wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:17 am Race vs species, is this the reason this question is asked?
Species. It's so that animals are not ordained.

See:
http://www.khandro.net/mysterious_nagas_2.htm
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I always felt very sad for the snake-dragon-thing when it was denied. It wept with sadness when the Buddha said No Sorry. So sad! Poor naga.
Is there a conclusion to the story where it says what happened to the naga? Did it get enlightened in the next life?
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:06 am I always felt very sad for the snake-dragon-thing when it was denied. It wept with sadness when the Buddha said No Sorry. So sad! Poor naga.
Is there a conclusion to the story where it says what happened to the naga? Did it get enlightened in the next life?
Maybe it is human now
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

How can snake ecome human? Can one species transform to antober species which is higher? I thought only specieis transform to soemthing lower but not higher than its original species jati
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:27 am How can snake ecome human? Can one species transform to antober species which is higher? I thought only specieis transform to soemthing lower but not higher than its original species jati
With khandro.net as Buddhas naga ,I found the following narrative . Once a naga with great desire to be a.monk took the form of a human and lived in a hut with another human monk. The naga monk in the night became his real naga self at nights . The real human monk who got frightened brought in this problem before lord budda. Lord budda then addressing the naga monk advised him to observe the five precepts to enable him to be born as a human to be ordained as a monk.
I understand a great deal from this story where it is expressed that snake or reptile minded people who do not observe even pancasila should at least be perfect in five precepts to be ordained. The real character of such people arise at nights in darkness.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

justindesilva wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:06 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:27 am How can snake ecome human? Can one species transform to antober species which is higher? I thought only specieis transform to soemthing lower but not higher than its original species jati
With khandro.net as Buddhas naga ,I found the following narrative . Once a naga with great desire to be a.monk took the form of a human and lived in a hut with another human monk. The naga monk in the night became his real naga self at nights . The real human monk who got frightened brought in this problem before lord budda. Lord budda then addressing the naga monk advised him to observe the five precepts to enable him to be born as a human to be ordained as a monk.
I understand a great deal from this story where it is expressed that snake or reptile minded people who do not observe even pancasila should at least be perfect in five precepts to be ordained. The real character of such people arise at nights in darkness.
I think its not snake ... snake should kill frogs etc to live
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:56 am
Its not a snake definitely , though the literal translation in India of naga is snake . Howrver Nagas historically had been identified as a community , tracing back to have arrived in India through mienmar. Nagas as a community had lived in southern India and in the north of sri lanka. Naga dipa meaning land of Naga is still in existence and is with a buddhist temple.
There by nagas are a community now mixed with other communities. There are various dances with movements dressed as a cobra ritualistic with Hindus.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Evolution is the direction which stems from craving and aversion. Species are naturally evolving it’s just that only human race has developed to the extent where they can turn awareness upon self and see its reflection or lack there of.
Given time it seems plausible that other species could develop this.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

justindesilva wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:23 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:56 am

Its not a snake definitely , though the literal translation in India of naga is snake . Howrver Nagas historically had been identified as a community , tracing back to have arrived in India through mienmar. Nagas as a community had lived in southern India and in the north of sri lanka. Naga dipa meaning land of Naga is still in existence and is with a buddhist temple.
There by nagas are a community now mixed with other communities. There are various dances with movements dressed as a cobra ritualistic with Hindus.
Why they become snake shaped normally? Nagas group in india are humans in natural state
[james]

Post by [james] »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:27 am I thought only specieis transform to soemthing lower but not higher than its original species jati
If that were the case, over the course of the kalpas of aeons as numerous as the grains of sand of the Ganges we would all have become hole dwelling devils or worse. Due to the ripening of kamma, it goes both ways. Right?
samsarayoga

Post by samsarayoga »

I identify myself as a kangaroo yet I understand the dhamma. Is samsara the amalgamation of all arahats? Where did samsara come from? Is samsara only a stopgap to answer the prima causa dilemma?
reality is not shaped by your mind, if this was the case there won't exist right view and wrong view to begin with (doh)
Johann

Post by Johann »

samsarayoga wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:23 am I identify myself as a kangaroo yet I understand the dhamma. Is samsara the amalgamation of all arahats? Where did samsara come from? Is samsara only a stopgap to answer the prima causa dilemma?
Worthy a seperate topic, good householder.
samsarayoga

Post by samsarayoga »

What sutta is this? I look at this as a silly story. Naga is only the dweller of catumaharajika. I agree with you, if this was the case, can higher devas transform to other beings too? Like the dwellers of Yama heaven? I don't even think this is canon. It might be Mahayana tradition.
reality is not shaped by your mind, if this was the case there won't exist right view and wrong view to begin with (doh)
thepea

Post by thepea »

samsarayoga wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:23 am I identify myself as a kangaroo yet I understand the dhamma. Is samsara the amalgamation of all arahats? Where did samsara come from? Is samsara only a stopgap to answer the prima causa dilemma?
Why do you identify as a kangaroo?