More bad stuff about meat

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
octathlon

More bad stuff about meat

Post by octathlon »

Almost half of meat in stores may have drug-resistant bacteria
Meat in the U.S. may be widely contaminated with strains of drug-resistant bacteria, researchers reported Friday after testing 136 samples of beef, chicken, pork and turkey purchased at grocery stores.

Nearly half of the samples — 47% — contained strains of Staphylococcus aureus, the type of bacteria that most commonly causes staph infections. Of those bacteria, 52% were resistant to at least three classes of antibiotics, according to a study published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

DNA testing suggested the animals were the source of contamination. Environmental health scientist Lance Price, the study's leader, said the animals most likely harbored these drug-resistant pathogens because antibiotics routinely are fed to livestock to promote growth and prevent disease in crowded pens on large farms.
But not just the animals and those who eat them will suffer the consequences:
But the bigger threat to public health is that widespread antibiotic use in livestock could make the drugs increasingly ineffective in humans, Price said.

The American Medical Assn., the World Health Organization and other medical groups have warned that the misuse of antibiotics in food animal production may be creating a serious problem for human health by fostering development of drug-resistant bacteria.
Full story > http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-mea ... 1049.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Re: More bad stuff about meat

Post by Ben »

Next time you're at your video library, I recommend you hire 'Fast Food Nation'.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Ben wrote:Next time you're at your video library, I recommend you hire 'Fast Food Nation'.

Hi Ben. Having read the book and seen the movie I would like to strongly recommend the book. The old cliche about the book being better than the movie is true in this situation, but not only is it true it is significantly much more true than the usual gulf of quality between the movie and the book.

The book was a masterpiece of journalism that has a universe more of things to offer than the film.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Jhana4 for the recommendation.
Consider it on my list!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Since mankind may not lose the craving for the taste of meat for seven more kalpas, the older veggie-based burgers are better than the newer artificial lab cultured "meat". This stuff has a repulsive source:

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defe ... cow-blood/
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

Actually human craving cause it. Staphylococcus Aureus (SA) was getting their resistance because the human found antibiotics. The more antibiotics human found, SA can adapt. Its like sending the SA to the gym of antibiotic.

I would say it is not SA is dangerous. Likely, the human craving (in disguise of science) is dangerous.

And the solution is not vegetarianism. The solution is to control human mind. If we all become a vegetarian than there will be another catastrophe coming from the plants. For you all to ponder "Is there no SA in the plants?"
Nicholas Weeks

Re: More bad stuff about Fake meat

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Another reason to avoid lab cultured "meat":

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defe ... at-safety/
Bill Gates, Sir Richard Branson, Hollywood actors, venture capitalists — they’re all pushing lab-grown meat as the solution to world hunger and environmental sustainability, but scientists last week told a panel of experts they have serious concerns about the product’s safety.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:02 pm ...
Another reason to avoid lab cultured "meat":
Veggies ain't safe either!

Another reason to avoid any processed foods! My wife had hip surgery w/1 caregiver, me, and we have a friggin' freezer full of these - nada on their website not replying to emails...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/tech/dai ... index.html

Metta

:anjali:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

NotMe wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:43 am
Veggies ain't safe either!

Another reason to avoid any processed foods! My wife had hip surgery w/1 caregiver, me, and we have a friggin' freezer full of these - nada on their website not replying to emails...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/tech/dai ... index.html

Metta

Gadzooks, that is bad!
'I've never experienced pain like that': Influencers recount harrowing experiences with Daily Harvest crumbles, blast company's handling of recall
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

NotMe wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:43 am Veggies ain't safe either!
Yes, you have to worry not only about pesticides, but also the source of the phosphate used in fertilisers, which can contain a lot of heavy metals, depending on where they are sourced.

Mike
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:37 am
NotMe wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:43 am Veggies ain't safe either!
Yes, you have to worry not only about pesticides, but also the source of the phosphate used in fertilisers, which can contain a lot of heavy metals, depending on where they are sourced.

Mike
Been organic since the early 70's. I still worry about overspray.

Metta

edit: Yeah they used to sell waste sludge - even getting manure from a farm - ask the farmer questions! And even rubber garden hoses watering the garden add chemicals - no refuge anywhere it seems.

Edit to edit: I just saw Daily Harvest is not organic! I’m surprised because although we do eat non-organic occasionally, that she would stock up so much surprises me.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Great news. They refunded our entire purchase. Afaid to thaw it and put it in the compost - but if we can really get it the compost to cooking and steaming this summer - it may work! salvage what we can of those plants' offerings.

Metta

samsarayoga

Post by samsarayoga »

Poor people only get sick in soap operas. Food is the source of illness, especially meat. I'm not a vegetarian btw. I just eat normal food.
reality is not shaped by your mind, if this was the case there won't exist right view and wrong view to begin with (doh)
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

over five years vegan here and very happy with my choice. oddly enough, i have not read too much or seen many of the documentaries (other than Gamechangers) about the perils of the meat and dairy industries.