Is there a TOS criteria for meaningless incessant rambling

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Ceisiwr

Re: Is there a TOS criteria for meaningless incessant rambling

Post by Ceisiwr »

BrokenBones wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:11 pm There is also the possibility it's a giant wind-up. :tongue:
Too much consistency and effort.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Johann wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:53 pm May good householder try to focus on mindfulness and alertness as the liberating refuge, the Gems.
I sincerely and truly hope the same to you.
Johann

Post by Johann »

santa100 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:23 am
Johann wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:53 pm May good householder try to focus on mindfulness and alertness as the liberating refuge, the Gems.
I sincerely and truly hope the same to you.
That's a skilful thought in all cases, good householder. Sadhu.

How ever, there is no prosperty in "equal", much lose in "higher" when lower, and "lower" when higher, and a gain when taking at least in consideration that possible wrong taken, wrong perceived.

The actually "beautiful" of such a forum is, than one could go through topics another time, try not only to reflect the said again but also how and why it came about. Perceptions (remembering) makes the way one thinks and it would for no useful purpose if not simply for the sake of liberation (which is not done by dislike but by gratitude, gratitude toward what bound, gratitude toward what pulls out). It about move on, while Terms of services are moire or less corrupt trades.

One is about maintaining and household, one about turning a Wheel out.
Last edited by Johann on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

any adult human should have enough experience in this world-madhouse to be able to apply some relax
person (n.)

Origin and meaning of person
c. 1200, persoun, "an individual, a human being," from Old French persone "human being, anyone, person" (12c., Modern French personne) and directly from Latin persona "human being, person, personage; a part in a drama, assumed character," originally "a mask, a false face," such as those of wood or clay, covering the whole head, worn by the actors in later Roman theater. OED offers the general 19c. explanation of persona as "related to" Latin personare "to sound through" (i.e. the mask as something spoken through and perhaps amplifying the voice), "but the long o makes a difficulty ...." Klein and Barnhart say it is possibly borrowed from Etruscan phersu "mask."

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=person
we all are crazy. Avoid damages is what makes the difference
Johann

Post by Johann »

zerotime wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:31 am any adult human should have enough experience in this world-madhouse to be able to apply some relax
It necessary to have abound the first 3 fetters, good householder, to firm abstain from crazy deeds.
we all are crazy. Avoid damages is what makes the difference
That would be wrong view, to assume that "we are all crazy", first, becauses there are those having gone beyond craziness in this world, and second "we" is gross On-group-holding-identification/stand.

Second is the reason why one runs crazy when fear of seperation arises, TOS might not fix such. The first hinders to take refuge. No refuge in the DW, but in a household, one goes after crazy actions by words and deeds, wishing to hold control and by it leave right view, metta.

Aside of Silas, as a gross fence, not forgeting the beath, to possible trace mind qualities as well, help to avoid going after crazy deeds, even if still mental crazy.
mikenz66 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:53 am The board has become much more enjoyable since I put him on my ignore list (which only has one other entry - now banned so irrelevant), so I don't actually have to read the posts unless they are quoted. That's my suggestion for non-moderators to deal with such postings - don't feed the rambler...

:heart:
Mike
Sure good to know for those prefering an household, yet also bad if those wishing to ramble, whether good or bad, the "quote" thing, good householder Mike.

Possible good to remind that ignorance is actually the cause of suffering,

But it's surely possible to disable notivications as well in one's settings, or?
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

Johann wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:18 pm Aside of Silas, as a gross fence, not forgeting the beath, to possible trace mind qualities as well, help to avoid going after crazy deeds, even if still mental crazy.
:anjali:
Radix

Post by Radix »

Johann wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:53 pmMay good householder try to focus on mindfulness and alertness as the liberating refuge, the Gems.
But that wouldn't be very enjoyable at a forum like this! Or at the very least, it would minimize one's participation in this forum.

Because we're here to enjoy ourselves, not to do Dhamma!!!!!!

(That's sarcastic ... and so sad.)
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Radix wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:08 pm
Johann wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:53 pmMay good householder try to focus on mindfulness and alertness as the liberating refuge, the Gems.
But that wouldn't be very enjoyable at a forum like this! Or at the very least, it would minimize one's participation in this forum.

Because we're here to enjoy ourselves, not to do Dhamma!!!!!!

(That's sarcastic ... and so sad.)
Can't we have both? Dhamma and enjoyment?
Radix

Post by Radix »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:12 pmCan't we have both? Dhamma and enjoyment?
Certainly not when the enjoyment is of the kind one tends to get at a forum like this.

Companions in ruinous fun.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Radix wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:28 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:12 pmCan't we have both? Dhamma and enjoyment?
Certainly not when the enjoyment is of the kind one tends to get at a forum like this.

Companions in ruinous fun.
That's not the way I see it, but it takes all sorts to make a forum, I suppose.
Mumfie

Post by Mumfie »

Radix wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:28 pm Companions in ruinous fun.
But this is a term for gamblers, womanizers, drunkards, swindlers, tricksters and brawlers (dhuttā, soṇḍā, pipāsā, nekatikā, vañcanikā, sāhasikā). I don't think it includes humorous people unless they also happen to belong in one or more of these six classes.
“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)
Radix

Post by Radix »

Mumfie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:22 pmBut this is a term for gamblers, womanizers, drunkards, swindlers, tricksters and brawlers (dhuttā, soṇḍā, pipāsā, nekatikā, vañcanikā, sāhasikā).
What poster here isn't guilty of one or more of these?
Glenn Wallis
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

Surely when mixing laity and ordained in a semi-anonymous online forum it's expected to encounter all kinds of people. All worthy of seeking the goal regardless of dust or kamma.

I believe more insidious the view of self verses other which muddies virtue and reduces wholesomeness. A view of "me vs you" as I understand here:
dn11
"Whereas some brahmans and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, are addicted to debates such as these — 'You understand this doctrine and discipline? I'm the one who understands this doctrine and discipline. How could you understand this doctrine and discipline? You're practicing wrongly. I'm practicing rightly. I'm being consistent. You're not. What should be said first you said last. What should be said last you said first. What you took so long to think out has been refuted. Your doctrine has been overthrown. You're defeated. Go and try to salvage your doctrine; extricate yourself if you can!' — he abstains from debates such as these. This, too, is part of his virtue."
For pure water, drink from the mountain's source, the hard to reach and secluded. If drinking where others bathe and bring their cattle, much more challenging to find a clean drink. Little help to point out how dirty the bath water is. More help to bring in clean pure water for others to bathe and drink with.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
Mumfie

Post by Mumfie »

Radix wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:16 pm
Mumfie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:22 pmBut this is a term for gamblers, womanizers, drunkards, swindlers, tricksters and brawlers (dhuttā, soṇḍā, pipāsā, nekatikā, vañcanikā, sāhasikā).
What poster here isn't guilty of one or more of these?
I expect there are lots of posters here who are none of these things. But even if I'm wrong ... even if no one is innocent and the forum is full to the brim with gamblers, womanizers, drunkards, swindlers, tricksters and brawlers, they wouldn't actually count as ruinous companions for you unless you arranged to meet with them in person.
“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)
Johann

Post by Johann »

"...The Dhamma is just like this, talking in similes, because the Dhamma doesn't have anything. It isn't round, doesn't have any corners. There's no way to get acquainted with it except through comparisons like this. If you understand this, you understand the Dhamma.

"Don't think that the Dhamma lies far away from you. It lies right with you; it's about you. Take a look. One minute happy, the next minute sad, satisfied, then angry at this person, hating that person: It's all Dhamma..."