Giving good headspace

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Giving good headspace

Post by Sam Vara »

I couldn't resist this one!

People have probably heard of "Headspace", a really popular app-based approach to secular mindfulness. https://www.headspace.com/ Well, it appears they are branching out...
A few years ago, when I was stressed and suffering from insomnia, a concerned friend recommended a meditation app called Headspace. ‘You’ll love the bloke, Andy, who does it,’ she said knowingly. ‘His voice is lush.’

She was right. Listening to his voice in my hour of need was the closest I came to being unfaithful. He didn’t just set my mind at ease but, as I lay beside my sleeping husband, closing my eyes and listening to Andy Puddicombe, a former monk turned Headspace founder, I fell a little in love. I gather from my friends that I was not alone.

So when I heard that Headspace had moved into sex and relationships, offering audio guided meditations and educational video content which promises ‘more mindful’ and, therefore, better sex, my shameless first thought was that Andy was going to talk dirty to me.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -wine.html
Bundokji

Re: Giving good headspace

Post by Bundokji »

I have never heard of headspace, but glad that people can use it to enhance their happiness and well-being.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Radix

Post by Radix »

How does any of this connect with Theravada Buddhism?
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Radix wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:23 pm How does any of this connect with Theravada Buddhism?
It's in the "Connections..." section, but the "headspace" app is a really popular introduction to mindfulness, which is obviously a Path Factor, and the app has been mentioned here before as an aid to Buddhist practice.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:29 am I couldn't resist this one!

People have probably heard of "Headspace", a really popular app-based approach to secular mindfulness. https://www.headspace.com/ Well, it appears they are branching out...
A few years ago, when I was stressed and suffering from insomnia, a concerned friend recommended a meditation app called Headspace. ‘You’ll love the bloke, Andy, who does it,’ she said knowingly. ‘His voice is lush.’

She was right. Listening to his voice in my hour of need was the closest I came to being unfaithful. He didn’t just set my mind at ease but, as I lay beside my sleeping husband, closing my eyes and listening to Andy Puddicombe, a former monk turned Headspace founder, I fell a little in love. I gather from my friends that I was not alone.

So when I heard that Headspace had moved into sex and relationships, offering audio guided meditations and educational video content which promises ‘more mindful’ and, therefore, better sex, my shameless first thought was that Andy was going to talk dirty to me.
What's not to like? :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:49 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:29 am I couldn't resist this one!

What's not to like? :tongue:
Andy, maybe, if one would prefer Andrea... :)
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Susannah Jowitt wrote: '... Andy ...' she said knowingly. ‘His voice is lush.’
  • I wanted to say something, but just didn't know exactly what it was.

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:01 pm ...
Andy, maybe, if one would prefer Andrea... :)
  • Now I know :jumping:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

cerebral onanism is a sankhara of past kammas. perhaps seeing this helps to resist, restrain, retrain and let go.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:33 pmIt's in the "Connections..." section, but the "headspace" app is a really popular introduction to mindfulness, which is obviously a Path Factor, and the app has been mentioned here before as an aid to Buddhist practice.
Right Mindfullness is a path factor. Corporate mindfulness or sensual pleasure mindfulness are not.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Radix wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:31 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:33 pmIt's in the "Connections..." section, but the "headspace" app is a really popular introduction to mindfulness, which is obviously a Path Factor, and the app has been mentioned here before as an aid to Buddhist practice.
Right Mindfullness is a path factor. Corporate mindfulness or sensual pleasure mindfulness are not.
Yes, that's kind of why I posted it.....because it has been debated as to whether the app is suitable for training in the type of mindfulness that the Buddha recommended....

Did you honestly think I was recommending a bit of mindful sex on a Theravadan forum?
samsarayoga

Post by samsarayoga »

Is it like airheaded?
reality is not shaped by your mind, if this was the case there won't exist right view and wrong view to begin with (doh)
Radix

Post by Radix »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:24 pmYes, that's kind of why I posted it.....because it has been debated as to whether the app is suitable for training in the type of mindfulness that the Buddha recommended....
Then say so right away in the OP.

Did you honestly think I was recommending a bit of mindful sex on a Theravadan forum?
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:29 amI couldn't resist this one!
And just look at the title you gave this thread.

You can be quite loose when it comes to morality. And worldly. And you don't believe in rebirth. And recently you said you didn't know whether Buddhism was true.
Glenn Wallis
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Radix wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:36 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:24 pmYes, that's kind of why I posted it.....because it has been debated as to whether the app is suitable for training in the type of mindfulness that the Buddha recommended....
Then say so right away in the OP.
I'll decide what I post, thanks!
And just look at the title you gave this thread.
Yes, what of it?
You can be quite loose when it comes to morality.
Do you mean you have found out some terrible things from my past, or are you giving me permission to indulge myself a little more? ;)
And worldly
Well, it's where I live at the moment...
And you don't believe in rebirth.
Don't I??
And recently you said you didn't know whether Buddhism was true.
Did I??!!

Anyway, :focus: , please.