Buddhist Precepts Reduce Stress and Buffer Depression: Study

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Buddhism's "Five Precepts" lower stress, which may lessen depressive symptoms.

Key Points

Along with 10 "perfect virtues" known in Pali as Pāramitās, Buddhists observe an ethical code known as Pañca Sīla, or "Five Precepts."

Observing Buddhism's Five Precepts involves abstaining from killing, stealing, telling lies, sexual misconduct, and taking intoxicants.

Living by a moral code is associated with more robust self-control, lower levels of perceived stress, and fewer depressive symptoms.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... sion-study

Five precepts of Buddhism may be linked to lower depression risk

Study suggests the moral practice may buffer known links between high stress levels and depression

Summary:
A new study suggests that people with high levels of neuroticism and stress may be at greater risk for depressive symptoms, but those links could be buffered for people who observe the five precepts of Buddhism -- a fundamental system of ethics for the religion's followers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 151514.htm

:anjali:
Last edited by Lucas Oliveira on Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Dhammapardon

Re: Buddhist Precepts Reduce Stress and Buffer Depression: Study

Post by Dhammapardon »

I love seeing these studies come out. Thanks for sharing. As someone previously diagnosed with depression, I can say practicing precepts and meditating has provided me significant relief of these depressive symptoms. I hope everyone suffering finds this relief as well.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Buddhist Precepts Reduce Stress and Buffer Depression: Study

Post by Sam Vara »

Many thanks, Lucas, that's both interesting and heartening! :anjali:

I guess it might all seem really obvious to some people who keep the precepts, but it's good to see studies like this. I was intrigued by this bit at the end:
non-Buddhists can probably benefit from lower levels of perceived stress, less neuroticism, and fewer depressive symptoms by observing any moral code that boosts feelings of self-control. Moving forward, they encourage future research on the association between living by a moral code and mental health outcomes to "study this issue in a non-Buddhist culture."
I would imagine that self-control plays a big part in the daily-life benefits, because I gather that many mental illnesses are marked by a feeling that people's lives are uncontrollable and they are at the mercy of malign forces. But the beauty of the precepts is that they reflect how the world really is. If you drink alcohol or take drugs, you have to deal with the aftermath, and a strict moral code that recommended drunkenness would be nonsensical. And lying - we really do have to work harder, think less of people, and cope with others' bad reactions towards us if we don't stick to the truth. The same applies to all the precepts. They keep us safe, and even if a person were brought up to follow them automatically without the sense of being in control they would still have a happier life.

Anyway, that's my opinion. :soap: