Is there a TOS criteria for meaningless incessant rambling

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Radix

Re: Is there a TOS criteria for meaningless incessant rambling

Post by Radix »

Mumfie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:13 pmI expect there are lots of posters here who are none of these things. But even if I'm wrong ... even if no one is innocent and the forum is full to the brim with gamblers, womanizers, drunkards, swindlers, tricksters and brawlers,

they wouldn't actually count as ruinous companions for you unless you arranged to meet with them in person.
How do you figure that??

For the time of the posting and for as long as a person's words reverberate in one's mind, this long there is companionship with that person.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Mumfie

Post by Mumfie »

Radix wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:26 pm How do you figure that??
To have companionship (sahāyatā) with a drunkard, for example, means that you go out boozing together. The term doesn't include merely being acquainted with a drunkard. Similarly with the gambler, the womanizer, etc.
“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)
Radix

Post by Radix »

Mumfie wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:18 pmTo have companionship (sahāyatā) with a drunkard, for example, means that you go out boozing together. The term doesn't include merely being acquainted with a drunkard. Similarly with the gambler, the womanizer, etc.
When posters at this forum ostensibly engage in "Dhamma discussion", this is sometimes (often) "Dhamma-as-a-hobby", "Dhamma as just something to pass one's time with". An indulging in not being serious about the Buddha's teachings. As such, at best, being a case of "all thunder and no rain", and at worst, stealing Dhamma, gambling with one's good fortune. And they do it together here, as companions.
This is what Johann is talking about, and many posters see it as an attack on themselves, or as "incessant rambling".
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Mumfie

Post by Mumfie »

Radix wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:51 pmWhen posters at this forum ostensibly engage in "Dhamma discussion", this is sometimes (often) "Dhamma-as-a-hobby", "Dhamma as just something to pass one's time with". An indulging in not being serious about the Buddha's teachings. As such, at best, being a case of "all thunder and no rain", and at worst, stealing Dhamma, gambling with one's good fortune. And they do it together here, as companions.
I tend to take a more upbeat view. Even if you're right that some people are just here as Dhamma hobbyists, they are still gaining exposure to the Buddha's teaching and this will leave imprints on their mind that may on some later day, or even in some later life, bear fruit.
Radix wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:51 pmThis is what Johann is talking about, and many posters see it as an attack on themselves, or as "incessant rambling".
I see. For me the novice's posts are so indecipherable that even if he was attacking me I suspect I wouldn't realize it.
“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)