How long was mahamogallana in hell?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sha Bac

How long was mahamogallana in hell?

Post by Sha Bac »

How long was he in hell for killing his parents?
Ontheway

Re: How long was mahamogallana in hell?

Post by Ontheway »

Ven. Maha Moggallana Thera was an Arahant. He already attained Parinibbana.

The question need to be rephrased "In one of the past lives of Bhante Maha Moggallana Thera, committed a crime of killing parents. How long did the evil doer suffered in Hell?"

I checked the story is in Dhammapada Atthakatha - Mahāmoggallānattheravatthu.
https://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/dhp/v ... ?verse=137

The English translation did not specified how long it is:
The news of the passing away of Thera Maha Moggallana at the hands of assassins spread like wild fire. King Ajatasattu ordered his men to investigate and get hold of the culprits. The assassins were caught and they were burnt to death. The bhikkhus felt very sorrowful over the death of Thera Maha Moggallana, and could not understand why such a personage like Thera Maha Moggallana should die at the hands of assassins. To them the Buddha said, "Bhikkhus! Considering that Moggallana had lived a noble life in this existence, he should not have met with such a death. But in one of his past existences, he had done a great wrong to his own parents, who were both blind. In the beginning, he was a very dutiful son, but after his marriage, his wife began to make trouble and she suggested that he should get rid of his parents. He took his blind parents in a cart into a forest, and there he killed them by beating them and making them believe that it was some thief who was beating them. For that evil deed he suffered in niraya for a long time; and in this existence, his last, he has died at the hands of assassins. Indeed, by doing wrong to those who should not be wronged, one is sure to suffer for it."

Then the Buddha spoke in verse as follows:

[Verse 137]:
He who does harm with weapons to those who are harmless and should not be harmed will soon come to any of these ten evil consequences:

[Verses 138, 139 & 140]:
He will be subject to severe pain, or impoverishment, or injury to the body (i.e., loss of limbs), or serious illness (e.g., leprosy), or lunacy, or misfortunes following the wrath of the king, or wrongful and serious accusations, or loss of relatives, or destruction of wealth, or the burning down of his houses by fire or by lightning. After the dissolution of his body, the fool will be reborn in the plane of continuous suffering (niraya).
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

20 pots of sesame seeds, every century a sesame seed is taken until all 20 pots are empty. Justice is more important than peace.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Just go to Heaven, Pure Land or something, and don't mess around on Earth if you have such bad karma, if you're such a smart Arhat after all. Not to disparage you, but to let you know karma isn't fun!

:candle:
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:47 pm Just go to Heaven, Pure Land or something, and don't mess around on Earth if you have such bad karma, if you're such a smart Arhat after all. Not to disparage you, but to let you know karma isn't fun!

If I had found this forum before I could've become an arhat.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:42 pm
Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:47 pm Just go to Heaven, Pure Land or something, and don't mess around on Earth if you have such bad karma, if you're such a smart Arhat after all. Not to disparage you, but to let you know karma isn't fun!

If I had found this forum before I could've become an arhat.
Before what?
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded