In your opinion what is the greatest Dhamma propagation project in last 100 years.

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
SarathW

In your opinion what is the greatest Dhamma propagation project in last 100 years.

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
thomaslaw

Re: In your opinion what is the greatest Dhamma propagation project in last 100 years.

Post by thomaslaw »

Project? Do you mean a publication on Dhamma? :buddha1:
SarathW

Re: In your opinion what is the greatest Dhamma propagation project in last 100 years.

Post by SarathW »

thomaslaw wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:14 am Project? Do you mean a publication on Dhamma? :buddha1:
Yes, any thin in your opinion had made a great contribution.
For instance, in my opinion, Dhamma Wheel, Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations, and Access to insight are great projects that helped me to understand Buddhism. I like Sutta Central as a great project but I do not use it very often I know it is there and it is free.
Perhaps how Dalilama introduced Mahayana to the West etc. Any project had a major impact on Buddhists or newcomers to Buddhism.
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

I See. The core teaching/dhamma of the Buddha is the four noble truths. So, the following is just a suggestion in this direction:

• Core reading on the four noble truths suggested:
What the Buddha Taught by Dr. Walpola Rahula.
(Second and enlarged edition 1974; reprinted by different publishers)

This work is mainly based on the Pali texts.

• Further essential reading:
The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism: A Comparative Study Based on the Sūtrāṅga portion of the Pāli Saṃyutta-Nikāya and the Chinese Saṃyuktāgama (Series: Beitrage zur Indologie Band 32; Harrassowitz Verlag, Wiesbaden, 2000) by Dr. Choong Mun-keat.

The second one is, in my opinion, the greatest Dhamma propagation project in last 100 years in the English writing for international Academic and Buddhist communities on Buddhist Studies.

:buddha1: :reading:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

thomaslaw wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:36 am I See. The core teaching/dhamma of the Buddha is the four noble truths. So, the following is just a suggestion in this direction:

• Core reading on the four noble truths suggested:
What the Buddha Taught by Dr. Walpola Rahula.
(Second and enlarged edition 1974; reprinted by different publishers)

This work is mainly based on the Pali texts.

• Further essential reading:
The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism: A Comparative Study Based on the Sūtrāṅga portion of the Pāli Saṃyutta-Nikāya and the Chinese Saṃyuktāgama (Series: Beitrage zur Indologie Band 32; Harrassowitz Verlag, Wiesbaden, 2000) by Dr. Choong Mun-keat.

The second one is, in my opinion, the greatest Dhamma propagation project in last 100 years in the English writing for international Academic and Buddhist communities on Buddhist Studies.

:buddha1: :reading:
Wow!
I have read that book I never thought it will in this thread. Perhaps I should read it again.

What do you think about Buddha and his teaching by Narada and the Manual of Abhidhamma by him?
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote his Abhidhamma based on that.
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

That books are just OK in my opinion! :thinking:
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

sutta central,

access to insight

may be vipasanna 10 day retreat
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Johann

Post by Johann »

Not sure who gave the kick off of publishing the Tipitaka, after the last Sanghayana, good householder, which might be the root course of what is common perceived as "greatest Dhamma propagation", yet possible less is known and traced in regard of the Sublime Buddhas wish in how many would benefit on proclamation on the Dhamma: knowledgeable Arahats going their secluded ways.

So it comes down to a very individual perception and in all ways a matter of individual Upanissaya.

What's perceived as market is surely funded by the first an very common.
Last edited by Johann on Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I like lists, so here goes:

1. The internet
Numerous buddhist information websites, blogs by monks, nuns, lay people make the Dhamma accessible to anyone, virtually anywhere on the planet. One can watch Dhamma talks via youtube and other platforms easily.

2. Maha Bodhi Society, India
Buddhism was on the decline from 11th century through the 1800s. The Maha Bodhi Temple in India was almost completely covered from vegetation from the forest and almost not even visible. Cunningham and Anagarika Dharmapala were instrumental in getting the Maha Bodhi Temple restored. It is the "Mecca" of Buddhism and inspires faith in the people.

3. Dhamma books
Especially those written in English and other European languages. For my generation, What the Buddha Taught (1959 first edition) was a great introductory book.

4. Ajahn Chah
The great Thai meditation master taught numerous Western monks, which helped spread the Dhamma to many Western nations.

5. S.N. Goenka
His international vipassana meditation courses helped introduce thousands, maybe millions of people to the Dhamma.

6. Bhikkhuni full ordinations
The full ordinations of women into the bhikkhuni Sangha allowed women to participate fully in the holy life and encouraged supporters of the ordinations to continue their practice.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Lord Buddha declared that the greatest of all gifts is meditation.

A moment meditating (being aware of anicca) is worth more than lifetimes of not meditating. It’s worth more than any other activity. Therefore any one taking time to practice, as the teacher taught, is carrying out the Greatest of all Dhamma Projects.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

On a personal level, the pros & cons of their printing & pricing apart, I'd have to say... the Wisdom series by Bhikkhu Bodhi; although there are a few close contenders.
Johann

Re:

Post by Johann »

sunnat wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:22 am Lord Buddha declared that the greatest of all gifts is meditation.

A moment meditating (being aware of anicca) is worth more than lifetimes of not meditating. It’s worth more than any other activity. Therefore any one taking time to practice, as the teacher taught, is carrying out the Greatest of all Dhamma Projects.
Sadhu Sadhu
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Johann wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:57 pm Not sure who gave the kick off of publishing the Tipitaka, after the last Sanghayana, good householder, which might be the root course of what is common perceived as "greatest Dhamma propagation", yet possible less is known and traced in regard of the Sublime Buddhas wish in how many would benefit on proclamation on the Dhamma: knowledgeable Arahats going their secluded ways.

So it comes down to a very individual perception and in all ways a matter of individual Upanissaya.

Printing Tipitaka was a great idea but it never took off to the general public except as a handbook for monks.
Even in temples, Tipitaka was collecting dust.
Not like the bible freely available even in a hotel room.

However, as Davide mentioned after the invention of the internet many people had the access to Tipitaka.
As a Sri Lankan I still have not read the Sinhalease Tipitka however I have read English Tipitaks many times. (not the Vinaya and Abhidhamma though)
Johann

Post by Johann »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:00 am
Johann wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:57 pm Not sure who gave the kick off of publishing the Tipitaka, after the last Sanghayana, good householder, which might be the root course of what is common perceived as "greatest Dhamma propagation", yet possible less is known and traced in regard of the Sublime Buddhas wish in how many would benefit on proclamation on the Dhamma: knowledgeable Arahats going their secluded ways.

Printing Tipitaka was a great idea but it never took off to the general public except as a handbook for monks.
Even in temples, Tipitaka was collecting dust.
Not like the bible freely available even in a hotel room.

However, as Davide mentioned after the invention of the internet many people had the access to Tipitaka.
As a Sri Lankan I still have not read the Sinhalease Tipitka however I have read English Tipitaks many times. (not the Vinaya and Abhidhamma though)
That simply because in Sri Lanka they still have more shame of wrong doing, good householder, but no more long. The crowd votes mostly for Robin Hoods, yet it isn't for anybodies long therm benefit. Gains will be gone, kamma follows.