Simone Weil speaking Buddhish

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Simone Weil speaking Buddhish

Post by Sam Vara »

She's talking about God, of course, and that in a Roman Catholic context, but I liked the similarities with Buddhism in the way she talks about the unsatisfactory nature of life.
not to believe that the future is a place capable of fulfilling us. The future is made of the same stuff as the present. We well know that what we have that is good, wealth, power, esteem, knowledge, love of those we love, prosperity of those we love, and so on, does not suffice to satisfy us. But we believe that the day when we will have a little more, we will be satisfied. We believe it because we are lying to ourselves. For if we really think about it for a while we know it's false. Or again if we are suffering affliction, we believe that the day when this suffering will cease, we will be satisfied. There again we know it's untrue; as soon as we have gotten used to the cessation of suffering we want something else.
(Thoughts without order concerning the love of God)
SarathW

Re: Simone Weil speaking Buddhish

Post by SarathW »

I am not sure of the views of Simone Weil.
However, every living person on this earth knows the unsatisfactory nature of life.
Not only that every person has a view of the reason, and path and escapes from that unsatisfaction of life too.
Even Buddha's teachers knew about it and that is why they became ascetics.

Why Buddha different was he discovered the unsatisfactory nature of the mind too.

However, Buddha said any person who teaches Four Noble Truths is a Buddhist.

Is she talking about the Four Noble Truths?

Another point is I found many Christians and Muslims also now have borrowed ideas from Hinduism and Buddhism and adopted them into their preaching. But they are half-cooked Buddhism I believe.
It is important to note that even Buddhists do not know Buddhism.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Simone Weil speaking Buddhish

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:50 pm I am not sure of the views of Simone Weil.
However, every living person on this earth knows the unsatisfactory nature of life.
Not only that every person has a view of the reason, and path and escapes from that unsatisfaction of life too.
Even Buddha's teachers knew about it and that is why they became ascetics.

Why Buddha different was he discovered the unsatisfactory nature of the mind too.

However, Buddha said any person who teaches Four Noble Truths is a Buddhist.

Is she talking about the Four Noble Truths?

Another point is I found many Christians and Muslims also now have borrowed ideas from Hinduism and Buddhism and adopted them into their preaching. But they are half-cooked Buddhism I believe.
It is important to note that even Buddhists do not know Buddhism.
Yes, I think that Weil was at least acquainted with Buddhism, but most of her writings (she was a fairly solitary contemplative writer, rather than a preacher) were informed by Christian mysticism.