Finally, I found one doctor who self criticize!

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
SarathW

Finally, I found one doctor who self criticize!

Post by SarathW »

Finally, I found one doctor who self criticize! and criticizes big pharmaceutical companies!
It always has to be an Indian or Sri Lankan to rock the boat. :tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dan74

Re: Finally, I found one doctor who self criticize!

Post by Dan74 »

I don't think he's read the studies either. The 95% figure was clearly defined.

Nice that people who are so inclined can find some sources to support their confirmation bias. But this vid provides no information, just casts unfounded aspersions on his colleagues and the Government organisations who have scrupulously reviewed the data and approved (some of ) the vaccines. Never mind the fact that we were able to get the pandemic under control largely thanks to the vaccine. I guess no thanks are needed...

You should be ashamed.
_/|\_
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dan74 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:46 pm I don't think he's read the studies either. The 95% figure was clearly defined.

Nice that people who are so inclined can find some sources to support their confirmation bias. But this vid provides no information, just casts unfounded aspersions on his colleagues and the Government organisations who have scrupulously reviewed the data and approved (some of ) the vaccines. Never mind the fact that we were able to get the pandemic under control largely thanks to the vaccine. I guess no thanks are needed...

You should be ashamed.
Do you really think that the vaccine got the pandemic under control?
Or someone used the pandemic to launch their own agenda.
I have no shame at all. Many of my medical issues are solved thanks to humble Youtubers.
viewtopic.php?t=44565
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

If you look for evidence of an opinion you have, you will find someone (else) with it on the internet. It isn't an indication your opinion is right. Or that you understand the subject enough for your opinion to hold water.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

dharmacorps wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:16 am If you look for evidence of an opinion you have, you will find someone (else) with it on the internet. It isn't an indication your opinion is right. Or that you understand the subject enough for your opinion to hold water.
Generally what I do is I support my ideas with a person who got some authority.
Tipitak, a reputed monk, doctor, etc.
:sage:
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:56 pm
Dan74 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:46 pm I don't think he's read the studies either. The 95% figure was clearly defined.

You should be ashamed.
Do you really think that the vaccine got the pandemic under control?
Or someone used the pandemic to launch their own agenda.
I have no shame at all. Many of my medical issues are solved thanks to humble Youtubers.
viewtopic.php?t=44565
I followed the development of the pandemic and the role of the vaccines closest here (Switzerland), including looking carefully at the stats, which I am also qualified to do. And yes, the vaccines clearly helpes bring the mortality in the delta wave right down. The risk of hospitalisation (all other things being equal) was much higher for the unvaxxed, especially among the elderly, chiche accounted for the post hospitalisations.
_/|\_
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Excess deaths in 2022 among worst in 50 years

More than 650,000 deaths were registered in the UK in 2022 - 9% more than 2019.

This represents one of the largest excess death levels outside the pandemic in 50 years.

Though far below peak pandemic levels, it has prompted questions about why more people are still dying than normal.

Data indicates pandemic effects on health and NHS pressures are among the leading explanations.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-64209221

They claim that the vaccines are blameless. That is to be expected.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Bundokji wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:26 pm

This represents one of the largest excess death levels outside the pandemic in 50 years.

Though far below peak pandemic levels, it has prompted questions about why more people are still dying than normal.

Data indicates pandemic effects on health and NHS pressures are among the leading explanations.

They also say that it's not the 5G. :spy:

Seriously, if it's the vaccines, present the evidence. Insinuations do not prove a case.
_/|\_
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:22 am
LOL, Well there you go! You find people who already support your ideas already. and claim to be in a position of authority. That's called confirmation bias as already eplained by Dan. Completely at odds with the scientific method and shows the criticism of your approach is correct.

Relying on authority figure alone is not sufficient for understanding. Its blind obedience. Although this thread seems to have no dhamma in it, the Buddha criticized those who fell back on authority figures or traditions alone.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

dharmacorps wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:12 pm
SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:22 am
LOL, Well there you go! You find people who already support your ideas already. and claim to be in a position of authority. That's called confirmation bias as already eplained by Dan. Completely at odds with the scientific method and shows the criticism of your approach is correct.

Relying on authority figure alone is not sufficient for understanding. Its blind obedience. Although this thread seems to have no dhamma in it, the Buddha criticized those who fell back on authority figures or traditions alone.
It is up to the reader to prove me wrong.
However, I expect the reader to support his/her claim with some supporting material, not their personal opinion or hearsay statements. Unless you have some authority or reputation that you have a history of providing reliable information like the venerable Dhammanado.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dan74 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:34 pm
Bundokji wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:26 pm

They also say that it's not the 5G. :spy:

Seriously, if it's the vaccines, present the evidence. Insinuations do not prove a case.
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Perhaps why many people are dying now is due to the increase in the elderly population.
What I did not like about the vaccine as it was forced on people.

Perhaps this is a pandemic the wolf cries and the real wolf may come one day.

My biggest concern was how every doctor prescribe the same medicine when I have an illness.
I had GERD and went to three doctors and they all recommended Nexium.
I bought it but checked Google and Youtube and found it is not to be taken.
Many recommend taking an Applecyder vinegar diluted with water.
I did that for only two days and my GERD stopped.
Scabrella

Post by Scabrella »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:18 pm Finally, I found one doctor who self criticize! and criticizes big pharmaceutical companies!
You must have not been looking very hard. Your search was 3 years too late. I read the "95% effective" as soon it was announced in the FDA Pfizer EUA. The data was totally flawed, where only 271 of the 35000 cohort caught Covid and the majority of the 271 were from the low risk cohort. Also, Pfizer was actually overt in the EUA, saying they could not guarantee their vaccine could stop infection, transmission & certain indicated side-effects. I am not even a doctor.
SarathW wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:18 pm It always has to be an Indian or Sri Lankan to rock the boat.
Indians rejected Buddhism and the current state of Sri Lanka indicates Sri Lankans cannot understand it.
Dan74 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:27 pm I followed the development of the pandemic and the role of the vaccines closest here (Switzerland), including looking carefully at the stats, which I am also qualified to do. And yes, the vaccines clearly helpes bring the mortality in the delta wave right down. The risk of hospitalisation (all other things being equal) was much higher for the unvaxxed, especially among the elderly, chiche accounted for the post hospitalisations.
Your post here is unrelated to the facts.

You should be ashamed.
The doctor was 100% correct. The FDA Pfizer EUA declared the vaccine was 95% effective in stopping infection, which was quickly proved to be false. The EUA is at this link: https://www.fda.gov/media/144416/download Page 6 says:
The EUA request includes safety and efficacy data from an ongoing Phase 3 randomized,
double-blinded and placebo-controlled trial of BNT162b2 in approximately 44,000 participants.
The primary efficacy endpoint is incidence of COVID-19 among participants without evidence of
SARS-CoV-2 infection before or during the 2-dose vaccination regimen. In a mid-November
analysis of 36,621 participants randomized 1:1 to vaccine or placebo who were included in the
per-protocol efficacy analysis population of participants without evidence of SARS-CoV-2
infection prior to 7 days after completion of the vaccination regimen, efficacy in preventing
confirmed COVID-19 occurring at least 7 days after the second dose of vaccine was 95.0%,
with 8 COVID-19 cases in the vaccine group and 162 COVID-19 cases in the placebo group.
Subgroup analyses of the primary efficacy endpoint showed similar efficacy point estimates
across age groups, genders, racial and ethnic groups, and participants with medical
comorbidities associated with high risk of severe COVID-19. Secondary efficacy analyses
suggested benefit of the vaccine in preventing severe COVID-19 and in preventing COVID-19
following the first dose, although available data for these outcomes did not allow for firm
conclusions.
Page 9:
A Phase 3 randomized and placebo-controlled trial using BNT162b2 in approximately 44,000
participants is currently ongoing to evaluate the vaccine’s safety and efficacy. Vaccine efficacy
for the primary endpoint against confirmed COVID-19 occurring at least 7 days after the second
dose was 95.0% with 8 COVID-19 cases in the vaccine group compared to 162 COVID-19
cases in the placebo group. Data from about 38,000 participants randomized 1:1 with a median
of 2 months of follow-up after the second dose of vaccine showed a favorable safety profile at a
dose of 30 µg in participants 16 years of age and older. On November 20, 2020, Pfizer and
BioNTech submitted an EUA request to FDA for its investigational COVID-19 vaccine
(BNT162b2) intended to prevent COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2.
Page 23:
For participants without evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection prior to 7 days after Dose 2, VE
against confirmed COVID-19
occurring at least 7 days after Dose 2 was 95.0%.
Attachments
95% effective.png
Last edited by Scabrella on Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

You're talking about science, not dhamma. You don't get scientific info from a monk.

Sarath, as you may have forgotten I have 25 years experience working in medicine specializing in pathology (the study of disease).

How can we prove you wrong if you're not even capable of understanding the discussion in scientific terms? Would you understand a medical research about immunology or virus spike proteins?

Sounds like youtube medical research as a basis for knowledge has not treated you very well based on how much you are putting your foot in your mouth.
Scabrella

Post by Scabrella »

dharmacorps wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:21 am I have 25 years experience working in medicine specializing in pathology (the study of disease).
The doctor in the video was correct. I have provided the FDA EUA evidence. One of many media articles from the time:
Nov. 18, 2020
Pfizer and BioNTech announced Wednesday that the efficacy portion of their Covid-19 vaccine trial has been completed, showing the vaccine to prevent 95% of cases of the disease.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/18/pfi ... -fda-data/
Another:
WED, NOV 18 2020
Pfizer and BioNTech said Wednesday that a final data analysis found their coronavirus vaccine was 95% effective in preventing Covid-19 and appeared to fend off severe disease.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/18/coronav ... -days.html
But at a later time the narrative was changed to 95% effective in stopping hospitalization & death.

The Pfizer EUA trial was literally only about "infection" and was not about "hospitalization & death". Read it at this link: https://www.fda.gov/media/144416/download
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

dharmacorps wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:21 am You're talking about science...
My experience after 33 years as an RN has been that people believe exactly what they want to believe, science or no science. If people want to get their medical care from the internet, there is very little that anyone can say to convince them it really isn't a good idea. Sooner or later, they'll either figure it out...or they won't. They are the ones who will experience the consequences.