What is an independent Brahma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
wenjaforever

What is an independent Brahma?

Post by wenjaforever »

Any theories? I've read a few entries that mentioned them? What are they? I'm sorry this probably doesn't belong here and I'm not an expert. But they visited Gautama a few times when he attained enlightenment. TQ
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
Mumfie

Re: What is an independent Brahma?

Post by Mumfie »

In the commentaries a Paccekabrahmā is defined as, “A Brahmā that goes about alone, not a Brahmā with a retinue” (ekacārī brahmā, na parisacārī brahmā).

When any background information is offered about them, those found in the suttas all seem to be living in the Pure Abodes.
“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

Mumfie wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:20 am In the commentaries a Paccekabrahmā is defined as, “A Brahmā that goes about alone, not a Brahmā with a retinue” (ekacārī brahmā, na parisacārī brahmā).

When any background information is offered about them, those found in the suttas all seem to be living in the Pure Abodes.
Yes indeed. In the 2nd and 3rd jhana, the 2 lower realms always starts with paritta and appamana. Thank you mister.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

A Buddha which is part of the Three Jewels', being non-separate from them. Striving for Buddhahood as a Bodhisattva, I held and hold the Three Jewels', the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha as one complete unit, in this sense any one who becomes a Buddha is independent. Aren't they? In Sagacity, in thoughts without nconsistencies from Eachother. Nama Om. Buddhahood is the most important thing for a Brahma King.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:29 am A Buddha which is part of the Three Jewels', being non-separate from them. Striving for Buddhahood as a Bodhisattva, I held and hold the Three Jewels', the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha as one complete unit, in this sense any one who becomes a Buddha is independent. Aren't they? In Sagacity, in thoughts without nconsistencies from Eachother. Nama Om. Buddhahood is the most important thing for a Brahma King.
Buddha is the teacher
Dhamma is the truth
Sangha is the school

Remember they didn't have internet or TV/radio in the past. No telegraph either, no electricity. No long range telecommunication. Most people are even still illiterate.

To become a Buddha it takes 100k mahakalpa according to the buddhavamsa. How long does it take to become an arahat?
Mumfie

Post by Mumfie »

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:29 am in this sense any one who becomes a Buddha is independent. Aren't they?
Sammāsambuddhas are called "self-dependent" (sayambhū), not "independent" (pacceka).

They can't be called pacceka, for they have retinues of disciples. They are called sayambhū because their awakening is not dependent on the guidance of another.
“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

With jhana, I suspect a Brahma attains the ability of shape shifting or physical transformation. Which is called creating a magical body in the suttas. CMIIW. But does a Brahma have a true form?

This is why brahmaloka is called the non sensual realm. The 5 senses correlate with the neural system. And with shape shifting ability, neurones become irrelevant. This is also why there is no pain in brahmaloka. This is also why Brahmas are genderless because they can manifest or get rid of sexual glands/organs at will.

Given an Apsara, a pretty girl is pleasant to the senses. Her visual appearance, her voice, her soft skin, her perfume. Except she doesn't taste sweet or sour :tongue:
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Training the mind is cool. Taking one a Wife in Sacred Marriage even for Brahma is cool. And studying Buddhism with the whole body intact as it is meant to be, instead of straying from the body Brahma Himself engineered, is way past cool. It's all in the mind, and the extension of our Metta. No need to answer me if you want to start an argument based on mental speculation. Thank you.

-Dhammapada.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

That makes no sense. And it begs the question, what does the food in Brahma realm taste like? Aren't they supposed be nonsensical beings?
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

wenjaforever wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:15 pm That makes no sense. And it begs the question, what does the food in Brahma realm taste like? Aren't they supposed be nonsensical beings?
Non attached to the senses, yet it is a Heavenly Realm, the Brahma Heaven, therefore the senses are hundreds of thousands of times more controlled and active.

-Dhammapada.