Meditation Maverick - Adam Mizner

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dharmapala

Meditation Maverick - Adam Mizner

Post by Dharmapala »

Hi,

I have seen this guy (Adam Mizner) is being heralded as somewhat of a modern meditation master.

He is known as an internationally famous Taiji Quan master, who teaches a variety of meditation techniques (standing, moving, sitting)

He lists, Ajahn Jomnien as his main teacher and said has experience in the Ajahn Chah tradition as well as non Buddhist systems such as Taoism, Western hermetics, various types of Chinese Kung Fu and Qi Gong.

some of the statements about, Ajahn Jomnien, seem a bit far fetched such as "carrying a 70kg bag of amulets around all day" him having the ability to enter the jhanas at will for 30 hours at a time at 9 years old, did not lie down to sleep for 9 years and many others.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to Ajahn Jomnien at all, as far as I know he has not made these statements himself.

(talking about, Ajahn Jomtien around 30 minutes into this)

(I found this presentation a bit awkward as I am not used to seeing a lay person, sitting on a seat usually reserved for monks)
Last edited by Dharmapala on Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
cappuccino

Re: Meditation Maverick - Adam Mizner

Post by cappuccino »

The teacher is the Buddha

Learn his teaching
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Sounds like this should be in Connections to Other paths.
Dharmapala

Post by Dharmapala »

dharmacorps wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:06 am Sounds like this should be in Connections to Other paths.
Those videos talk specifically about, Theravadan meditation practices and their results, not the other stuff he is into.

J.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Avoid this jimjak .. lay teachers who teach properly are few
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Dharmapala

Post by Dharmapala »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:10 pm Avoid this jimjak .. lay teachers who teach properly are few
I was mostly interested to see if there was any of Ajahn Jumnien's students who on here, which could verify any of the claims made in the video
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Dharmapala wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:26 pm some of the statements about, Ajahn Jomnien, seem a bit far fetched such as "carrying a 70kg bag of amulets around all day"
This is well known. I saw him in 1996 in San Francisco, somebody commented that this time he had given up carrying around these heavy weights attached to his robes but had them on his previous visit.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I watched the first video and found it interesting.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
mangala108

Post by mangala108 »

Howdy! I'm actually friends with a few of LP Jamnians students. I can confirm that he does carry many many many lbs of amulets. I was skeptical of him when I first found out about him but LP Pasanno of Abhayagiri told a story that LP Jamnian tried to become a disciple of LP Chah. At this time he already had tons of monasteries and was very established in his own right. LP Chah told him roughly "You are good enough, you don't need to become my disciple."

From the stories I hear LP Jamnian was instrumental in preventing the south of Thailand from becoming communist. He is indeed extremely psychic and has survived several assassination attempts from extremist groups. He actually visited Abhayagiri in California shortly after surviving one such attack from a Christian group.

As for Adam Mizner dunno anyone that knows him.

For some of his teachings:

https://www.youtube.com/@luangporjamnianteachings6644

You can also read about him in Sons of The Buddha and Tending the Fire