justindesilva wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:24 am
Microdose wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:10 am
cappuccino wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:06 am

The Mandela effect is a real phenomenon
The subject is about if ai can be useful for sutta study and learning dhamma

Please stay on track

Thanks
I tried chat gp ailya on google without any effect instead aliya is available
But if one is assuming mandala as an AI tool then it is wrong . Mandala is a set of symbols representing the universe to improve concentration for sati and used by buddhists , hindus . It is said to be a presentation of the universe carved even on rocks , paintings on walls etc . It has nothing to do with artuficial intelligence but has to do much with real intelligence of spiritually bent yogas and bikkus . It is been widely used in tibet with vajrayana practise .
Let us not mix up ancient ways of meditation with artificial intelligence

I don’t see it as replacing anything it will just be a easily available tool, which I’m sure will have mixed results but it will become a prominent feature of the modern persons day to day life

Go back a hundred years or so and tell a Buddhist that people will learn about Dhamma through a computerised phone screen and forums and what would the reaction be
justindesilva

Re: AI chat apps

Post by justindesilva »

Microdose wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:06 am
justindesilva wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:24 am
Microdose wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:10 am

The subject is about if ai can be useful for sutta study and learning dhamma

Please stay on track

Thanks
I tried chat gp ailya on google without any effect instead aliya is available
But if one is assuming mandala as an AI tool then it is wrong . Mandala is a set of symbols representing the universe to improve concentration for sati and used by buddhists , hindus . It is said to be a presentation of the universe carved even on rocks , paintings on walls etc . It has nothing to do with artuficial intelligence but has to do much with real intelligence of spiritually bent yogas and bikkus . It is been widely used in tibet with vajrayana practise .
Let us not mix up ancient ways of meditation with artificial intelligence

I don’t see it as replacing anything it will just be a easily available tool, which I’m sure will have mixed results but it will become a prominent feature of the modern persons day to day life

Go back a hundred years or so and tell a Buddhist that people will learn about Dhamma through a computerised phone screen and forums and what would the reaction be
I see the point in the above argument that computer intelligence can replace meditation if at all is what is meant with new technology
Yet meditation is quite different as it is a method of surfacing the subconscious over
the existing consciousness covered with delusion of lobha dosa and moha .
Lord budda and other such bikkhus on the path of enlightenment could see the future or the past by allowing the subconscious to surface which the new digital technology still investigate .
User13866

Re: AI chat apps

Post by User13866 »

Microdose wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:07 pm I’m pretty sure these things will becomes very popular and can serve “some “ purpose in a limited way

Like forums
I think it will for the most part make forums absolete.

There are bots scraping these forums for the purpose of doing this.

Just have AI learn the pali dictionaries, EBTs, BSE, DW, SC and you have yourself a bot that will give very good answers to most questions.

This forum is public so everything we post is for the AI to learn.

The only thing it can not do is to structure an argument, evaluate it's merits and then structure a counter argument as to arrive at a judgement based on merit of the positions.

Most people can't really do this anyway.

Another thing is that AI is now saying demonstrably wrong things in regards to the very controversial things. I assume that it's because of it's code not being allowed to pursue certain lines of reasoning as not to arrive at a problematic conclusion. It will say things like 'this text isn't part of the pali canon, it's not an important text, this text isn't used for teaching' when it is a text from the pali canon.

I don't think that it will ever be able to use analogical reasoning & unconventional logic in structuring arguments and it will never be able to discern what is rightly spoken based on the merit of the argument.

As it is now it can tell you the controversies and the positions but it can neither make the arguments nor pass judgement.

Otherwise it is already better than most forum users at teaching the basic stuff and it's not even close. It will generally give superior answers to most questions.