This process matures at its own rate

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
suspence772

This process matures at its own rate

Post by suspence772 »

In The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah, Chapter 38 Unshakeable Peace, page 445, Ajahn Chah states the following:
The Buddha taught that this process matures at its own rate. Having reached this level of practice, we allow it to develop according to our innate capabilities, spiritual aptitude and the merit we've accumulated in the past. But we never stop putting eort into the practice. Whether the progress is swift or slow is out of our control.
Where did the Buddha state this? I've tried to find this to no avail. I'm wondering if this has to do with the "seeds" of kamma that Thanissaro Bhikku mentioned in various talks and in The Karma of Mindfulness on pages 56 and 76.
Ceisiwr

Re: This process matures at its own rate

Post by Ceisiwr »

suspence772 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:53 pm In The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah, Chapter 38 Unshakeable Peace, page 445, Ajahn Chah states the following:
The Buddha taught that this process matures at its own rate. Having reached this level of practice, we allow it to develop according to our innate capabilities, spiritual aptitude and the merit we've accumulated in the past. But we never stop putting eort into the practice. Whether the progress is swift or slow is out of our control.
Where did the Buddha state this? I've tried to find this to no avail. I'm wondering if this has to do with the "seeds" of kamma that Thanissaro Bhikku mentioned in various talks and in The Karma of Mindfulness on pages 56 and 76.
If I were to guess, I imagine Ajahn Chah had this in mind
(1) “Just as, bhikkhus, the great ocean slants, slopes, and inclines gradually, not dropping off abruptly, so too, in this Dhamma and discipline penetration to final knowledge occurs by gradual training, gradual activity, and gradual practice, not abruptly. This is the first astounding and amazing quality that the bhikkhus see in this Dhamma and discipline because of which they take delight in it…."
https://suttacentral.net/an8.20/en/bodh ... ight=false
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
cappuccino

Re: This process matures at its own rate

Post by cappuccino »

Basically no

You decide if you want to progress
Sam Vara
Site Admin