Vessavana Maharaja from Catumaharajika Devaloka

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Ontheway

Re: Vessavana Maharaja from Catumaharajika Devaloka

Post by Ontheway »

at.jpg
Thai Khon mask of Vessavana King.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

104290103_103514284742773_1313261609174601547_o.jpg
Four arms.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Alino

Post by Alino »

Very intresting 🙏😊
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Alino wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:53 am Very intresting 🙏😊
:anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Janavasabhasuttaṃ (Dīghanikāya Mahāvaggapāḷi)
“Then, Ānanda an invisible spirit called out: ‘I am Janavasabha, Blessed One! I am Janavasabha, Holy One!’ Ānanda, do you recall having previously heard such a name as Janavasabha?”

“No, sir. But when I heard the word, I got goosebumps! I thought, ‘This must be no ordinary spirit to bear such an exalted name as Janavasabha.’”

“After making himself heard while invisible, Ānanda, a very beautiful spirit appeared in front of me. And for a second time he called out: ‘I am Bimbisāra, Blessed One! I am Bimbisāra, Holy One! This is the seventh time I have been reborn in the company of the Great King Vessavaṇa. After passing away from there, I am now able to become a king of non-humans.

Seven from here, seven from there—
fourteen transmigrations in all.
That’s how many past lives
I can recollect.

For a long time I’ve known that I won’t be reborn in the underworld, but that I still hope to become a once-returner.’

‘It’s incredible and amazing that you, the venerable spirit Janavasabha, should say:

“For a long time I’ve been aware that I won’t be reborn in the underworld” and also “But I still hope to become a once-returner.” But from what source do you know that you’ve achieved such a high distinction?’

‘None other than the Blessed One’s instruction! None other than the Holy One’s instruction! From the day I had absolute devotion to the Buddha I have known that I won’t be reborn in the underworld, but that I still hope to become a once-returner. Just now, sir, I had been sent out by the great king Vessavaṇa to the great king Virūḷhaka’s presence on some business, and on the way I saw the Buddha giving his attention to the fate of the Magadhan devotees. But it comes as no surprise that I have heard and learned the fate of the Magadhan devotees in the presence of the great king Vessavaṇa as he was speaking to his assembly. It occurred to me, “I shall see the Buddha and inform him of this.” These are the two reasons I’ve come to see the Buddha.

Sir, it was more than a few days ago—on the fifteenth day sabbath on the full moon day at the entry to the rainy season—when all the gods of the Thirty-Three were sitting together in the Hall of Justice. A large assembly of gods was sitting all around, and the Four Great Kings were seated at the four directions.

The Great King Dhataraṭṭha was seated to the east, facing west, in front of his gods. The Great King Virūḷhaka was seated to the south, facing north, in front of his gods. The Great King Virūpakkha was seated to the west, facing east, in front of his gods. The Great King Vessavaṇa was seated to the north, facing south, in front of his gods. When the gods of the Thirty-Three have a gathering like this, that is how they are seated. After that come our seats.

Sir, those gods who had been recently reborn in the company of the Thirty-Three after leading the spiritual life under the Buddha outshone the other gods in beauty and glory. The gods of the Thirty-Three became uplifted and overjoyed at that, full of rapture and happiness, saying, “The heavenly hosts swell, while the Asura hosts dwindle!”

Whoever has experiential confidence in the Buddha, the teaching, and the Saṅgha, and has the ethical conduct loved by the noble ones; and whoever is spontaneously reborn, and is trained in the teaching; in excess of 2,400,000 such Magadhan devotees have passed away having ended three fetters. They’re stream-enterers, not liable to be reborn in the underworld, bound for awakening. And there are once-returners here, too.

And as for other people
who I think have shared in merit—
I couldn’t even number them,
for fear of speaking falsely.”

That is the topic on which Brahmā Sanaṅkumāra spoke. And while he was speaking on that topic, this thought came to the great king Vessavaṇa, It’s incredible, it’s amazing! That there should be such a magnificent Teacher, and such a magnificent exposition of the teaching! And that such achievements of high distinction should be made known!

And then Brahmā Sanaṅkumāra, knowing what the great king Vessavaṇa was thinking, said to him, “What does Great King Vessavaṇa think? In the past, too, there was such a magnificent Teacher, and such a magnificent exposition of the teaching! And such achievements of high distinction were made known! In the future, too, there will be such a magnificent Teacher, and such a magnificent exposition of the teaching! And such achievements of high distinction will be made known!”

That, sir, is the topic on which Brahmā Sanaṅkumāra spoke to the gods of the Thirty-Three. And the great king Vessavaṇa, having heard and learned it in the presence of Brahmā as he was speaking on that topic, informed his own assembly.’”

And the spirit Janavasabha, having heard and learned it in the presence of the great king Vessavaṇa as he was speaking on that topic to his own assembly, informed the Buddha. And the Buddha, having heard and learned it in the presence of the spirit Janavasabha, and also from his own direct knowledge, informed Venerable Ānanda. And Venerable Ānanda, having heard and learned it in the presence of the Buddha, informed the monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen. And that’s how this spiritual life has become successful and prosperous, extensive, popular, widespread, and well proclaimed wherever there are gods and humans.
3161-06.jpg
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Uttaravipattisuttaṃ (Aṅguttaranikāya)
On one occasion the Venerable Uttara was dwelling at Mahisavatthu, in Dhavajālikā on Mount Saṅkheyya. There the Venerable Uttara addressed the bhikkhus….

“Friends, it is good for a bhikkhu from time to time to review his own failings. It is good for a bhikkhu from time to time to review the failings of others. It is good for a bhikkhu from time to time to review his own achievements. It is good for a bhikkhu from time to time to review the achievements of others.”

Now on that occasion the great deva king Vessavaṇa was traveling from north to south on some business. He heard the Venerable Uttara at Mahisavatthu, in Dhavajālikā on Mount Saṅkheyya, teaching the Dhamma to the bhikkhus thus: ‘Friends, it is good for a bhikkhu from time to time to review his own failings … the failings of others … his own achievements … the achievements of others.’ Then, just as a strong man might extend his drawn-in arm or draw in his extended arm, Vessavaṇa disappeared from Mount Saṅkheyya and reappeared among the Tāvatiṁsa devas.

He approached Sakka, ruler of the devas, and said to him: “Respected sir, you should know that the Venerable Uttara, at Mahisavatthu, in Dhavajālikā on Mount Saṅkheyya, has been teaching the Dhamma to the bhikkhus thus: ‘Friends, it is good for a bhikkhu from time to time to review his own failings … the failings of others … his own achievements … the achievements of others.’”

Then, just as a strong man might extend his drawn-in arm or draw in his extended arm, Sakka disappeared from among the Tāvatiṁsa devas and reappeared at Mahisavatthu, in Dhavajālikā on Mount Saṅkheyya, in front of the Venerable Uttara. He approached the Venerable Uttara, paid homage to him, stood to one side, and said to him:

“Is it true, Bhante, as is said, that you have been teaching the Dhamma to the bhikkhus thus: ‘Friends, it is good for a bhikkhu from time to time to review his own failings … the failings of others … his own achievements … the achievements of others’?”

“Yes, ruler of the devas.”

“But, Bhante, was this your own discernment, or was it the word of the Blessed One, the Arahant, the Perfectly Enlightened One?”

“Well then, ruler of the devas, I will give you a simile; even by means of a simile, some intelligent people understand the meaning of what has been said. Suppose not far from a village or town there was a great heap of grain, and a large crowd of people were to take away grain with carrying-poles, baskets, hip-sacks, and their cupped hands. If someone were to approach that large crowd of people and ask them: ‘Where did you get this grain?’ what should they say?”

“Bhante, those people should say: ‘We got it from that great heap of grain.’”

“So too, ruler of the devas, whatever is well spoken is all the word of the Blessed One, the Arahant, the Perfectly Enlightened One. I myself and others derive our good words from him.”

“It’s astounding and amazing, Bhante, how well you stated this: ‘Whatever is well spoken is all the word of the Blessed One, the Arahant, the Perfectly Enlightened One. I myself and others derive our good words from him.’

“On one occasion, Bhante Uttara, the Blessed One was dwelling at Rājagaha, on Mount Vulture Peak, not long after Devadatta had left. There the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus with reference to Devadatta: ‘Bhikkhus, it is good for a bhikkhu from time to time to review his own failings…. Sakka here cites the Buddha’s entire discourse of 8:7, down to: [165–66] … It is in such a way, bhikkhus, that you should train yourselves.’

“Bhante Uttara, this exposition of the Dhamma has not been promulgated anywhere among the four human assemblies: that is, among bhikkhus, bhikkhunīs, male lay followers, and female lay followers. Bhante, learn this exposition of the Dhamma, master this exposition of the Dhamma, and retain this exposition of the Dhamma in mind. This exposition of the Dhamma is beneficial; it pertains to the fundamentals of the spiritual life.”
1-108.jpg
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

7c9819301e992d91f2b8c167d140ec59b1a7de97.jpeg
Artistic representation of Vessavana Maharaja
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

111.jpg
111.jpg (69.92 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
The four divine kings, including Vessavana Maharaja, visit Lord Buddha.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

jl9j86.jpg
Vessavano Maharaja
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

rbc8quoffWYvpDnpn39-o.jpg
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

f117a3943d1b43337adbb257c93cfc8d.jpeg
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

309595532_649879183209971_7484498794683991746_n.jpg
Statue of Kuvero Maharaja
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

DSCN4642.jpg
An alternate image of Vessavana Maharaja, holding divine weaponry Gadhavudha in His right hand symbolises Punishment, a hand with stopping gesture on His chest, warning all not to do evil deeds.

This image was known as "Thao Phaisob" or Thai distorted pronunciation of Vaisravana Sanskrit name. And this image was adopted for Thailand's ministry of Attorney General previously.

It is commonly treated as a symbol of justice and law.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

8amz1l.jpg
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,