Can you work off anantarika karma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sha Bac

Re: Breaking refuge vows

Post by Sha Bac »

So what about vajra hell? I guess that's probably not theravada.
dharmacorps

Re: Breaking refuge vows

Post by dharmacorps »

Adam1234 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:25 am
Sorry if you think I'm a nuisance. You don't have to answer my questions.
I never said that.

My questions to you about your line of inquiry were actual questions I was hoping you would answer. You seem to ask many questions in response to your questions but answer few if any.
Sha Bac

Re: Malevolent acts of mind

Post by Sha Bac »

Is it possible to experience karma for something I didn't realize I was doing?
SDC

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:30 pm Is it possible to experience karma for something I didn't realize I was doing?
Do you mean an accident?

Some food for thought, it is possible to experience sorrow and grief for believing you are responsible for something you didn’t do and something you did do accidentally. Generally speaking, both are the result of a view, which is indeed very blameworthy, but does not imply you would also bear the weight of an act you didn’t actually commit.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

SDC wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:08 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:30 pm Is it possible to experience karma for something I didn't realize I was doing?
Do you mean an accident?

Some food for thought, it is possible to experience sorrow and grief for believing you are responsible for something you didn’t do and something you did do accidentally. Generally speaking, both are the result of a view, which is indeed very blameworthy, but does not imply you would also bear the weight of an act you didn’t actually commit.
Well it's hard for me to classify it. You mentioned that no one is qualified to explain what happened. I mean if there was volition, how could it be an accident, but if I thought I was just having thoughts, how could it be construed as an intentional act?
Sha Bac

Re: Menendez brothers anantarika karma

Post by Sha Bac »

Erik menendez leads an insight meditation group in prison. How is that possible if he is guilty of anantarika karma?
samsarayoga

Re: Can you work off anantarika karma?

Post by samsarayoga »

Once the Buddha told us about the 8 cold hell. The time spent in the upper most of the cold hell, is the time it takes for a barrel of sesame seeds to get emptied given someone takes out one seed every century.

The lifespan of a cold hell inhabitant directly beneath of the previous one is 20x longer. That is the simile to describe how long one is being tortured in hell.

There are also 8 hot hells, neighbouring hells surrounding main hells. And also short term hells, a place of torture for someone who doesn't have a lot of bad kamma. But even petaloka and animal loka is better than any form of hell.
reality is not shaped by your mind, if this was the case there won't exist right view and wrong view to begin with (doh)
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

samsarayoga wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:11 pm Once the Buddha told us about the 8 cold hell. The time spent in the upper most of the cold hell, is the time it takes for a barrel of sesame seeds to get emptied given someone takes out one seed every century.

The lifespan of a cold hell inhabitant directly beneath of the previous one is 20x longer. That is the simile to describe how long one is being tortured in hell.

There are also 8 hot hells, neighbouring hells surrounding main hells. And also short term hells, a place of torture for someone who doesn't have a lot of bad kamma. But even petaloka and animal loka is better than any form of hell.
Yeh your really helping to cheer this bloke up. Good Job! (Not).
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

KeepCalm wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:37 pm
All I'm saying is that OP should not be a spineless coward. Take responsibility of your own deeds. Do not cut corners or try to bribe your way out. Do not cheat, do not try to circumvent your own kamma. Do not be afraid to take responsibility for this is all a test of character.

But what is a coward and what is a brave person? The mafia is brave you might say. But they only do so for their own gains. For power and money. So are they truly brave or are they only cowards hiding behind their guns and money they use to bribe the police, judge and politicians?

What is a greater dana than to give your own life for charity? Thus do not lie, do not be dumb, do not be ignorant, do not be a coward. What the right hand is giving, the left hand shall not know.
Last edited by wenjaforever on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

wenjaforever wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:25 am
KeepCalm wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:37 pm
All I'm saying is that OP should not be a spineless coward. Take responsibility of your own deeds. Do not cut corners or try to bribe your way out. Do not cheat, do not try to circumvent your own kamma. Do not be afraid to take responsibility for this is all a test of character.

But what is a coward and what is a brave person? The mafia is brave you might say. But they only do so for their own gains. For power and money. So are they truly brave or are they only cowards hiding behind their guns and money they use to bribe the police, judge and politicians?

What is a greater dana than to give your own life for charity? Thus do not lie, do not be dumb, do not be ignorant, do not be a coward. What the right hand is giving, the left hand shall not know.
I'd be careful with this approach (and anyone else reading this thinking of chiming in on this thread). I've seen this sort of thing go badly wrong before. You may think you are being helpful and dishing out some 'tough love' etc. But unless you are pretty enlightened or something and know what you are doing.. I've seen a guy.. he was told.. 'stop crying stop being a wimp etc. Babies cry you a grown man etc.' similar situation actually.. about 10 days later he cut his own throat.

So like I say unless you know what you are doing.. back off please.

This guy needs kindness in my opinion and kaliana mitta *badly*

(If he's still alive...)
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

He asked how to work off anantarika kamma, and I gave him a solution.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

Regardless of intent, the recklessness still count. Regardless of repetition and regret the initial sin still counts. Ignorance is not and excuse. Stupidity is not an excuse.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

wenjaforever wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:12 am Regardless of intent, the recklessness still count. Regardless of repetition and regret the initial sin still counts. Ignorance is not and excuse. Stupidity is not an excuse.
It's bizarre. Ignorance and stupidity aren't an excuse? I didn't even know I HAD those powers...
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

If you didn’t know you had them, then you didn’t have them, and furthermore you’ve never had them.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

Adam1234 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:08 am
It's bizarre. Ignorance and stupidity aren't an excuse? I didn't even know I HAD those powers...
Assuming you're not being delusional, what is your powers and what did you do?