Atheist / adevadiṭṭhī ; anissaravādī .

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Milinda

Atheist / adevadiṭṭhī ; anissaravādī .

Post by Milinda »

If you search in Pali dictionary atheist its translated as

adevadiṭṭhī ; anissaravādī .

Adevadithi / A+Deva and Dithi vision.

Could this word in a strictly meaning could be meaning and fixed into the buddhist view?
And
Anissa it means (always according to the dictionary)
Having no power or influence.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Atheist / adevadiṭṭhī ; anissaravādī .

Post by Sam Vara »

Milinda wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:58 pm If you search in Pali dictionary atheist its translated as

Could this word in a strictly meaning could be meaning and fixed into the buddhist view?
And
Could you say which dictionary? Issara means "lord" or "ruler", and by extension can mean a god who rules over one. So the definition makes sense, as does adevadiṭṭhī, but I can't find a reference to these words being used in the suttas or commentaries.
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:08 pm
Milinda wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:58 pm If you search in Pali dictionary atheist its translated as

And
Could you say which dictionary? Issara means "lord" or "ruler", and by extension can mean a god who rules over one. So the definition makes sense, as does adevadiṭṭhī, but I can't find a reference to these words being used in the suttas or commentaries.
Issara would be the pali word for sanskrit Ishvara?

http://dictionary.tamilcube.com/pali-dictionary.aspx

I really enjoy Pali language.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Milinda wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:15 pm

And

Yes, that's right. Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen it before. I suspect that it constructs new Pali words (i.e. words not found in the canon) when given an English term. :anjali:
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:45 pm

Yes, that's right. Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen it before. I suspect that it constructs new Pali words (i.e. words not found in the canon) when given an English term. :anjali:
So only words present in the suttas are "valid"? So to speak.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Milinda wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:10 pm

No, just that you won't find them in the PTS dictionary if you look them up. And if Pali speakers didn't use them, they might give a slightly distorted picture of how the Buddha and the compilers of the canon saw the world.
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:47 am

No, just that you won't find them in the PTS dictionary if you look them up. And if Pali speakers didn't use them, they might give a slightly distorted picture of how the Buddha and the compilers of the canon saw the world.
Yeah but as long pali is a "dead" language that neologism created in what sense should it be used?
Teachings or creating neologism in order to make the Dhamma/Sutta easy to explain?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Milinda wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:32 pm

Yeah but as long pali is a "dead" language that neologism created in what sense should it be used?
Teachings or creating neologism in order to make the Dhamma/Sutta easy to explain?
If it is indeed a neologism I personally wouldn't use it. I'm only interested in how understanding Pali can help with existing texts.

It might be useful to help learn the basics of the language, though. Some Pali courses encourage "conversational" Pali on residential courses, which sounds like fun!
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:08 pm

If it is indeed a neologism I personally wouldn't use it. I'm only interested in how understanding Pali can help with existing texts.

It might be useful to help learn the basics of the language, though. Some Pali courses encourage "conversational" Pali on residential courses, which sounds like fun!
So, anissaravādī would mean.
Ishavara +
Which is the other word?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Milinda wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:25 am
Sam Vara wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:08 pm

So, anissaravādī would mean.
Ishavara +
Which is the other word?
Presumably "holding the theory or view", as in Theravāda and ucchedavāda.