New Book of Bhikku Bodhi: Noble Truth, Noble Path

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
nirodh27

New Book of Bhikku Bodhi: Noble Truth, Noble Path

Post by nirodh27 »

I'm sure to make good service by announcing that it is possible to order the new book of Bhikku Bodhi with translations of relevant suttas from the Samyutta Nikaya.

https://wisdomexperience.org/product/no ... oble-path/

It is possible to get a discount with the code "Noble15" at checkout (taken from the wisdom pub newsletter, I suggest everyone to subscribe to that).

May all Beings be Happy and Free of dukkha :smile:
Red Belly

Re: New Book of Bhikku Bodhi: Noble Truth, Noble Path

Post by Red Belly »

I'm not sure how thankful I should be to hear this, as I need another Dhamma book about as much as I need another hole in my head, but this does look hugely intriguing. So...thank you? :tongue:
nirodh27

Post by nirodh27 »

Red Belly wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:28 pm I'm not sure how thankful I should be to hear this, as I need another Dhamma book about as much as I need another hole in my head, but this does look hugely intriguing. So...thank you? :tongue:
The cycle of endless buying Dhamma has no discoverable beginning and the end of it is deep, hard to see, to be experienced only by the wise :tongue:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Red Belly wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:28 pm I'm not sure how thankful I should be to hear this, as I need another Dhamma book about as much as I need another hole in my head, but this does look hugely intriguing. So...thank you? :tongue:
Me too. It looks like a great book, but my library is so big with buddhist books and all other religions, I don't think I need anymore. When I first became buddhist, I bought every Dhamma/Dharma book I could find. Then I bought the complete PTS edition of the Pali Canon and then later the Wisdom series of all the Suttas. After that, when you have all the teachings from the Samma-Sam-Buddha-Gotama, it's like you don't need anymore.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I think this will be aimed more at beginners. I get the feeling it’s not going to state anything new or which deviates from traditional Theravada (not a bad thing).
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
DNS wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:29 pm When I first became buddhist, I bought every Dhamma/Dharma book I could find. Then I bought the complete PTS edition of the Pali Canon and then later the Wisdom series of all the Suttas. After that, when you have all the teachings from the Samma-Sam-Buddha-Gotama, it's like you don't need anymore.
I hear you. I have a shelf on my special bookshelf / quasi shrine dedicated to texts. It has the four major nikayas, the early books of KN, the books of Nanananda and the post-stream entry writings of Nanavira.

There's a lot that's not on that shelf!

I won't be buying Bhikkhu Bodhi's latest, but I welcome hearing about any parts which interest DW members once they start perusing it.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

retrofuturist wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:31 pmThere's a lot that's not on that shelf!
That's okay, you are not the Shelf! :tongue:
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
nirodh27

Post by nirodh27 »

I too have a shrine with my 15-20 essential books and I've almost forgot all the others, but maybe there will come a day to add one more :jumping:

Btw this is mainly a sutta translation book. I think it can be useful to have a subset of the SN that cointains a lot of repetitions so to reflect better on the 4nt and the path. It can help to avoid to be overwhelmed from the big nikaya, by the guidance and ordering of an expert monk. It is like the other book: "The Buddha's Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon". Yes, you can find everything in the 4 main books, but I found valuable to have a coherent anthology on a topic.
nirodh27

Post by nirodh27 »

I'll also add that the introduction that explain the aim of the book is available for everyone to read.
Before I sketch the underlying plan of this book, I should state as a precaution against misunderstanding that the texts included in this anthology are not intended to span the full range of the Buddha’s teaching. They do not deal with such fundamental matters as the multiple planes of existence, the operation of kamma and its fruits, the prospects for temporal happiness, and the corresponding practices of generosity, ethical conduct, and related virtues that contribute to gradual progress toward the final goal. Rather, in relation to the three aims of the Dhamma mentioned above—well-being and happiness visible in this present life, well-being and happiness in future lives, and the ultimate good—these texts all pertain to the ultimate good, the attainment of nibbāna or liberation. They illuminate the Buddha’s radical diagnosis of the human condition—and more broadly, the condition of all sentient existence—in the light of the four noble truths