In and out breathing

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
befriend

In and out breathing

Post by befriend »

Does anyone know of someone who teaches mindfulness of breathing as being mindful of the whole breath? It seems like most teachers say to locate where the breath is felt most predominantly in the tip of the nose, at the chest or rising and falling of the abdomen.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
pegembara

Re: In and out breathing

Post by pegembara »

"[1] Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.' [2] Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.' [3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the entire body.'[2] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the entire [breath]body.' [4] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.'[3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Wherever you feel the breath in its entirety is fine.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

pegembara wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:02 am "[1] Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.' [2] Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.' [3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the entire body.'[2] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the entire [breath]body.' [4] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.'[3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

:goodpost:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

befriend wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:20 am Does anyone know of someone who teaches mindfulness of breathing as being mindful of the whole breath? It seems like most teachers say to locate where the breath is felt most predominantly in the tip of the nose, at the chest or rising and falling of the abdomen.
Ajahn Buddhadasa said to follow it from the tip of the nose "to the navel" and back. . Check from the mark 24:00

8610 (2) Ānāpānasati : Tetrad I (Steps 1 & 2)
https://on.soundcloud.com/Btg3a

Ad he said to chase it and not letting it escape (or similar phrasing) somewhere, perhaps in another audio
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

pegembara wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:02 am "[1] Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.' [2] Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.' [3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the entire body.'[2] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the entire [breath]body.' [4] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.'[3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

Ajahn Buddhadasa said "the whole body" is a mistranslation. He said it should be "all the bodies".
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

"These three fabrications, friend Visakha: bodily fabrications, verbal fabrications, & mental fabrications."

"But what are bodily fabrications? What are verbal fabrications? What are mental fabrications?"

"In-&-out breaths are bodily fabrications. Directed thought & evaluation are verbal fabrications. Perceptions & feelings are mental fabrications."

To be more precise, in and out breathing are predominantly wind property.
"'A "person" has six properties.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? These are the six properties: the earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, the wind property, the space property, the consciousness property. 'A person has six properties.' Thus was it said, and in reference to this was it said..

"And what is the wind property? The wind property may be either internal or external. What is the internal wind property? Anything internal, belonging to oneself, that's wind, windy, & sustained: up-going winds, down-going winds, winds in the stomach, winds in the intestines, winds that course through the body, in-and-out breathing, or anything else internal, within oneself, that's wind, windy, & sustained: This is called the internal wind property. Now both the internal wind property & the external wind property are simply wind property..' And that should be seen as it actually is present with right discernment: 'This is not mine, this is not me, this is not my self. When one sees it thus as it actually is present with right discernment, one becomes disenchanted with the wind property and makes the wind property fade from the mind.

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
allium

Post by allium »

befriend wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:20 am Does anyone know of someone who teaches mindfulness of breathing as being mindful of the whole breath? It seems like most teachers say to locate where the breath is felt most predominantly in the tip of the nose, at the chest or rising and falling of the abdomen.
In his book "Introducing Mindfulness: Buddhist Background and Practical Exercises" Ven. Anālayo wrote:
it would be best to be mindful of inhalations and exhalations without turning this into an exercise in exclusive focus. This can be achieved by allowing the breath to be part of whole-body awareness, a modality of mindfulness already introduced in the last chapter. Although the breath can at times stand out quite prominently and distinctly, nevertheless, this should not lead to forgetting about the rest of the body completely.
In terms of the actual physical location where we observe the breath, different meditators find diverse approaches useful. Some like the nose tip or the upper lip, others inside the throat, the chest, or the abdomen. Others, including myself, prefer not to rely on any particular physical location. Whatever appears to work best for us can be adopted for establishing mindfulness on the process of breathing.
Many aspects and details of his meditation instructions correspond to his personal preferences and facilitate this way of meditating.

Meditation instructions:
http://agamaresearch.dila.edu.tw/bhikkh ... structions

Mindfulness of Breathing: A Practice Guide and Translations, Cambridge: Windhorse, 2019. (PDF):
https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg ... eguide.pdf
befriend

Post by befriend »

Awesome, Thanks for looking into to this everyone
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.