New member from Montreal, Canada

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Rod

New member from Montreal, Canada

Post by Rod »

Hi,
I'm not great at introductions but... to give some background about myself - My name is Rodney Tavares. I was born to Portuguese Immigrants in 1983. I have always been very spiritual (and not religious) and Buddhism has always fascinated me.

My interest in Buddhism and spiritual growth started 20 years ago after I suffered a serious bout of depersonalization and depression. I woke up one day and felt like I was living in a dream! My thoughts, emotions, even my inner voice all seemed distant, vague, and there was a sense of non of those things being really 'me'. The dream-state eventually passed, but my sense of self never really came back. This slowly led to a desire to 'start on the path to enlightenment'.
bodom

Re: New member from Montreal, Canada

Post by bodom »

Welcome Rod!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
asahi

Post by asahi »

Spiritual and religious are not that different .
No bashing No gossiping
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

OP wrote
I have always been very spiritual (and not religious) and Buddhism has always fascinated me.
I kinda get what you mean.
You wrote
My interest in Buddhism and spiritual growth started 20 years ago after I suffered a serious bout of depersonalization and depression. I woke up one day and felt like I was living in a dream! My thoughts, emotions, even my inner voice all seemed distant, vague, and there was a sense of non of those things being really 'me'. The dream-state eventually passed, but my sense of self never really came back.
You describe your experience in a poignant fashion. Thank you.
But your last sentence? is that really true? that your sense of self never came back??
How so? Do you not even think in terms of "this car is mine" or the objects that belong to you, are not yours?
or these "parents are not mine", sort of like that...I hope you get my drift.
I do not mean to pry, but I find the statement curious. Thank you for being so open with us, and your
trust in us.
I hope being here, helps you to sort out things. May the Buddha's teaching navigate you, on a
helpful spiritual path!
With love :candle: