Boring Bhikkhus

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Bundokji

Re: Boring Bhikkhus

Post by Bundokji »

I think boredom is not only linked to entertainment as other discussants indicated, but to what gives us a sense of purpose. Enduring repetition that can easily turn into boredom can only be done when there a conviction of a future benefit. I experienced the opposite in my lay life, where before quitting my job, i could no longer take the drama associated with something that is made up and has no end in sight. The Buddhist practice is equally made up, but without the drama and with a hope of an end in sight, hence preferable to me.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Boring Bhikkhus

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Advice on Teaching
Finally we come to the subject of teaching. It is for you to give suggestions on the most beneficial points in regard to the teaching of the Dhamma. I would just like to give some outlines for you to discuss.
  1. Teaching by you as meditation masters should mainly be confined to the subject of mindfulness meditation, precisely in accordance with the original texts of the Pāḷi Tipiṭaka.
  2. Avoid the melodious recitation of Pāḷi stanzas.
  3. Do not use comical, imaginary, or frivolous tales and stories just to attract the lay audience.
  4. As you are under the patronage of the Mahāsi Meditation Centre, give teachings and instruc­tions according to the Mahāsi meditation method.
  5. Take care to avoid statements, expressions or criticisms that are detrimental to others.
In conclusion, I wish that all of you may be able to practise morality, concentration and wisdom to the fullest extent, and urge and assist your devotees and disciples to do the same. May all of you, by striving for the promotion and propagation of the dispensation, attain the noble bliss of nibbāna and final deliverance from suffering in the shortest and easiest way.
Source
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)