A day in the life of a novice Buddhist monk

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
polaris

Re: A day in the life of a novice Buddhist monk

Post by polaris »

alan wrote: Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm I can get up on my own and have real coffee, then go to a beach for walking meditation.
No one tells me to engage in menial labor, but if the gutter needs to be cleaned I'll do it.
I'll have lots of time to study or meditate,and will also take care of the body by doing Yoga and the appropriate amount of exercise.
When it comes time to eat, I'll prepare healthy meals that nourish the body. No pretense of asceticism, so I'll eat again later--and won't feel the need to indulge in sweets later on.
In the evening I might go take another walk in nature, or sit, or read. One thing I will absolutely not do is go hear people read off a rule book to me, because that would be boring and depressing as hell.

So then, if I can live like this, why become a monk?
Glad to read your daily routine. As long as you are healthy in body and mind and of course an absence of unhappiness it would be what many people long for.
At one time I wish to ordain as a monk but after some deep searching of my mind I realized that I don't have a strong belief in Buddhism and also lacking in commitment. I am always searching for book on Buddhist Science(Abhidhamma), about how Buddhist Abhidhamma can help in mental health issue. I don't care much about spiritual side of the teaching of Buddhism. I cannot possibly be a good monk without humility. My ego is always there somewhere without me being aware of it. I feel sad.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

polaris wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:12 am I realized that I don't have a strong belief in Buddhism and also lacking in commitment.
Just wait. When you experience a great suffering again you will much probably take refuge in Lord Buddha's teachings, this time strongly. But that suffering is somehow necessary, it is life-changing. Suffering sometimes brings long-term happiness. It is nice to see how much we are fragile, prone to aging, illness, loss, death (four remembrances, remember them everyday).

With metta. :namaste:
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

"Suffering sometimes brings long-term happiness."

This well-known parable illustrates this.
"There is a story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically. "May be," the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. "How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed. "May be," replied the old man.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. "May be," answered the farmer.

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. "May be," said the farmer."

So, embrace suffering. It will make you even more committed to Buddhism. :smile:
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

alan wrote: Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm I can get up on my own and have real coffee, then go to a beach for walking meditation.
No one tells me to engage in menial labor, but if the gutter needs to be cleaned I'll do it.
I'll have lots of time to study or meditate,and will also take care of the body by doing Yoga and the appropriate amount of exercise.
When it comes time to eat, I'll prepare healthy meals that nourish the body. No pretense of asceticism, so I'll eat again later--and won't feel the need to indulge in sweets later on.
In the evening I might go take another walk in nature, or sit, or read. One thing I will absolutely not do is go hear people read off a rule book to me, because that would be boring and depressing as hell.

So then, if I can live like this, why become a monk?
1) It seems like OP did 2.5 hours of work. That is better than doing 8.5 hour shifts (plus travel there and back) at work.

2) Sense restraint and Sila can be easier and better done as a monastic. IMHO. Or so it seems to me.
daxe789

Post by daxe789 »

I have been a part of a sangha of the thai forest tradition of Ajahn Chah for a while now, and actually just got back from spending a couple weeks there, so I relate fully to the schedule.

I am actually looking to become an anagarika there, and will be returning in 2 weeks for an undetermined amount of time.

Would you be willing to talk if I have some questions to ask, or more questions specifically of your experience there?

I looked to see if there was a private way to message you but couldn't find one, i just signed up here today. (just saw that because im new i cant use the private message feature yet)

thanks

-d
Last edited by daxe789 on Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

daxe789 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:32 pm I looked to see if there was a private way to message you but couldn't find one, i just signed up here today. (just saw that because im new i cant use the private message feature yet)

thanks

-d
Happy to answer questions. I'll message you. I think that will work.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

daxe789 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:32 pm
I looked to see if there was a private way to message you but couldn't find one, i just signed up here today. (just saw that because im new i cant use the private message feature yet)
If you still can't message, ask the questions here publicly, and if the mods get tired of it they'll give you messaging permission.