looking for a good image of a broken gong

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
salayatananirodha

looking for a good image of a broken gong

Post by salayatananirodha »

i am thinking about getting a tattoo, on the inside of my wrist, so i can look at it and be reminded of the simile of the gong from the dhammapada:
https://obo.genaud.net/dhamma-vinaya/ati/kd/dhp/dhp.10.than.ati.htm wrote:Speak harshly to no one,
or the words will be thrown
right back at you.
Contentious talk is painful,
for you get struck by rods in return.
If, like a flattened metal pot
you don't resound,
you've attained an Unbinding;
in you there's found
no contention.
altho actually it looks like the word means a flattened metal pot, https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book ... 84359.html
i originally remember this being translated as a broken gong. that simile sticks with me more than a flattened metal pot.

i want it to be clear what the tattoo is and not have to explain what it is, but i'd be okay with explaining why i got it/what it represents.
if i see it then i'll be able to remember this simile when i need it
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: looking for a good image of a broken gong

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

🙊

Do you really need a tattoo? Will it do anything to shut the chattering mind, and guard your speech?

Just meditate more, and seek out good friends who enjoy silence.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Years ago I came across a photo of a very large cracked Burmese temple bell ( the type shaped like a front silhouette of a seated Buddha ) leaning up against a wall in a room.

Can’t find it now.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Image Instead of tattoo you can place a printed image in your room, because tattoo is forever, or you can make a temporary tattoo home made.
Attachments
_87050454-0018-4733-8d28-98451d9845ab.jpeg
_ce7d3983-ceac-4a7c-8aed-b2a340ee23e6.jpeg