Environmentalism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ceisiwr

Environmentalism

Post by Ceisiwr »

It seems quite clear to me that the Blessed One had a certain fondness for nature, and of course the Dhamma promotes values that are opposed to consumerism and unnecessary destruction of plants and animals. It’s also clear to me that being “out in nature” is a powerful support for developing Samādhi. Would it be safe to say then that the Dhamma promotes a form of environmentalism? Or, to put it another way, as practitioners of Buddhadhamma should we all be environmentalists?
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Goofaholix

Re: Environmentalism

Post by Goofaholix »

Good points on being out there in nature and its importance for meditation practice. Cause and affect and kamma are also important in Buddhist teaching. We should be taking care that our actions don't have a negative impact on our environment if possible, I don't think just doing what we want without regard for the consequences should be an option for us, the affect humans have had on the environment is a good example of what goes wrong.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The Buddha was born in a forest (Lumbini), enlightened in a forest (Bodh Gaya at that time - now it's urban), and passed away in a forest (Kushinagar). He was also very fond of meditating at Vulture Peak.

I don't think the Buddha directly addressed being an environmentalist, but we could perhaps infer it from other teachings. For example, his teachings on savings and being debt free (as a form of conserving wealth and things in the same way we should conserve the environment). The First Precept calls for no killing, which includes animals, who are part of the environment. And the Vinaya rules against monastics doing killing or even harm to plants.

We won't find Buddha saying "don't dump toxic waste into the river" but we can be fairly confident that he would not approve of that, from the other teachings.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Those are wise words, Ceiswr.

:anjali:
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think following the teachings of the Buddha would result in positive side effects for the environment. I do not see any direct emphasis on it though. Modern environmentalism has more to do with Hindu god Vishnu than with the Buddha.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 pm Would it be safe to say then that the Dhamma promotes a form of environmentalism? Or, to put it another way, as practitioners of Buddhadhamma should we all be environmentalists?
Environmentalism of a kind you describe that's based in ahimsa and respect and appreciation for the environment, sure... except that's not what most people would understand "environmentalism" to mean nowadays. I'd call what you describe a mild form of "conservationism".

What is Conservation? Defining Conservationism

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Theres not really any direct link between the Dhamma and environmentalism. Just like why vegetarianism isnt promoted its considered too indirect of a thing to cause any kamma. That said, environmental destruction wasnt a problem in the Buddha's time so we can only speculate about what he would say nowadays now that it is a serious problem, just as we can only speculate about what he would've done during the industrial era where electricity and running water became the norm and it became clear monastaries couldnt pay for these norms without money.

For sure, i think environmentalism is very important. as is the promotion of vegetarianism for animal welfare and also environmental reasons. Humans in general should support environmentalism just for the sake of having a habitable planet for the next few generations.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
TRobinson465 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:34 am For sure, i think environmentalism is very important. as is the promotion of vegetarianism for animal welfare and also environmental reasons. Humans in general should support environmentalism just for the sake of having a habitable planet for the next few generations.
Are these views based on the Dhamma, or other belief systems?

:thanks:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:22 am Greetings,
TRobinson465 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:34 am For sure, i think environmentalism is very important. as is the promotion of vegetarianism for animal welfare and also environmental reasons. Humans in general should support environmentalism just for the sake of having a habitable planet for the next few generations.
Are these views based on the Dhamma, or other belief systems?

:thanks:

Metta,
Based more on general altruism and social benefit and welfare of future beings. Arguably indirectly based on the Dhamma.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

The Buddha taught gratitude, for parents to take good care of their children and for us to cherish all sentient beings. Polluting and destroying the environment that causes extinction of species, extreme weather events and for the planet to become increasingly less habitable is not showing gratitude, not cherishing sentient beings and not taking good care of our children. So logically the Dhamma leads to caring about the environment.

Environmentalism which is a more loaded term, needs to be considered on its merits insofar as it pertains to protecting the environment and the costs thereof.
_/|\_
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

I think if one deeply cares environment, one should aim to loose it up.
if one is very reckless towards environment, one should cultivate some caring attitude.

If one is amped when thinking about environment, imo one is overdoing it, in benefit to dhamma practice. Now one has to exert effort to calm down over one more issue in order to attain to tranquil state.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 pm ... Would it be safe to say then that the Dhamma promotes a form of environmentalism? Or, to put it another way, as practitioners of Buddhadhamma should we all be environmentalists?
I don't think so. I think it's more about non-involvement: Not doing harm and not involving with worldly matters.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

mjaviem wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:18 am I don't think so. I think it's more about non-involvement: Not doing harm and not involving with worldly matters.
True, the Buddha would probably not declare himself as an environmentalist; but if he is not doing harm to the environment, advocates not doing harm to the environment (deliberate killing of trees, plants, etc), then he might be at least a de facto environmentalist.

For example, some (or all) of us might not waste food, not waste water or unnecessarily waste utilities just as part of our normal activities, without designating this as being an environmentalist.