May a bhikkhu wear a wrist-watch?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
nmjojola

May a bhikkhu wear a wrist-watch?

Post by nmjojola »

Like a digital one for use as a timer for meditation and maintaining punctuality throughout their day? Since they generally don't have pockets.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: May a bhikkhu wear a wrist-watch?

Post by DNS »

nmjojola wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 pm Like a digital one for use as a timer for meditation and maintaining punctuality throughout their day? Since they generally don't have pockets.
They didn't exist back in 6th century BCE, so I don't think there's any Vinaya rule against them. If it's used for practical purposes, like those you mentioned, it appears to be fine.

The Dalai Lama is known to have a liking for Rolexes.
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watches/a ... x-day-date
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think it comes under the heading of wearing jewellery; certainly a Rolex would.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:10 pm I think it comes under the heading of wearing jewellery; certainly a Rolex would.
That's interesting. Monks use watches at Chithurst, because if working in the forest they need to know what time to return and meet others, etc. But they don't wear them on their wrists, as far as I can remember; they keep them in their bag. And I don't think they carry them at all if they are inside or near the buildings.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

they can wear as long as they use to see time or notifications. if they develop attachment to it, then they must work on it to abondon the attachment.

buddha infact made one bhikku bowl small when he is fond of food and he also broke one bhikkus bowl in peices when he got from one layman reward him for flying..

it depends on mind state. Buddha and arhants can travel in rolls royce or private jet and still there will be no attachment. But if run of a mill person does that then he will be proud of it even in next life ...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

wrist watches are a bit impractical, I have something like this - https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1200_.jpg

which I can have on a string around my neck, or attached to my bag, or placed on the ground when I do talks/guided meds, and it doesn't stand to risk getting damaged while doing all the various work tasks like working with wood etc.

I've never yet met a monk with a wrist watch, more often then not they had an iphone for time keeping, or something like the one I have above.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

East Asian monks may have wrist watches, but do not wear them in the mediation hall. Watches are considered both distracting and constricting as they put a slight pressure in the wrist. The Dalai Lama takes apart and reassembles watches as a hobby (since childhood). He is often given watches by Western friends (I believe this includes watchmakers).
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Bhikkhu_Jayasara wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:54 pm wrist watches are a bit impractical, I have something like this - https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1200_.jpg

which I can have on a string around my neck, or attached to my bag, or placed on the ground when I do talks/guided meds, and it doesn't stand to risk getting damaged while doing all the various work tasks like working with wood etc.

I've never yet met a monk with a wrist watch, more often then not they had an iphone for time keeping, or something like the one I have above.
can monks use ipad or iphone for basic purpose?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you meditate seriously you will realise that you do not need a watch, an iPhone, or a mobile.

I have an alarm clock, but it stays on my desk when I go out. It is just a reminder that I need to get up. These days I don't even need to go out for alms, otherwise I need to keep a check on the time to catch buses and trains.

A mobile phone is not a monk's requisite. These days, perhaps books and computers are necessary for our Dhamma propagation work. Even they are a hindrance to meditation practice.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Apapurati

Post by Apapurati »

Ajahn Sumedho is wearing a watch in his latest Dhamma talk. Its the first time I've noticed a Theravadin Monastic with anything on their bodies other than robes.

Youtube Amaravati -

Focusing on the breath helps the mind grow quiet more than any other method — and it's not at all tiring. Simply breathe comfortably. If you let the breath come in and out strongly, it helps the breath energy and blood flow throughout the body. Upasika Kee Nanayon
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Apapurati wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:58 am Ajahn Sumedho is wearing a watch in his latest Dhamma talk. Its the first time I've noticed a Theravadin Monastic with anything on their bodies other than robes.
He is also wearing glasses. Nothing wrong with either, as long as they are plain and functional, and not for beautification.
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Apapurati wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:58 am Ajahn Sumedho is wearing a watch in his latest Dhamma talk. Its the first time I've noticed a Theravadin Monastic with anything on their bodies other than robes.

Youtube Amaravati -

Focusing on the breath helps the mind grow quiet more than any other method — and it's not at all tiring. Simply breathe comfortably. If you let the breath come in and out strongly, it helps the breath energy and blood flow throughout the body. Upasika Kee Nanayon
A monk I know wears Fob watches.
I think monks should take some effort to live with their traditional requisites.
Using mobile phones, computers, etc. is a sign of too many worldly activities.
However I understand it is very difficult for a Western monk to live without them.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”