Who is your favorite sutta teacher?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Alex123

Who is your favorite sutta teacher?

Post by Alex123 »

Hello all.

1) Who is your favourite English speaking Theravada (or EBT) teacher/monastic focusing deeply on the suttas?
2) Or meditation teacher.

Thanks.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Who is your favorite sutta teacher?

Post by DNS »

Bhante Punnaji (1929-2018)

He passed away on the Full Moon Day of July 2018; wasn't sure if you meant living master or if it didn't matter if they recently passed away.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

DNS wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:18 pm Bhante Punnaji (1929-2018)

He passed away on the Full Moon Day of July 2018; wasn't sure if you meant living master or if it didn't matter if they recently passed away.
Doesn't have to be living.

Thank you for your post.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ajahn Jayasaro, whose "Yellow Page Teachings" are kindly posted here by sequeller.

And, of course, Venerables Pesala and Dhammanando, when they post here, not least because we can ask them questions.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhante punnadhammo
He got tons of videos on youtube.
He is the only English-speaking teacher so far I could not disagree with any particular point.
For instance, I have some disagreements with Bhante Punnaji and venerable Katukurunde Nananada even though they are great teachers and I respect them.
Last edited by SarathW on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Even though it wasn't his first language, I believe Ven. Kaṭukurunde Ñāṇananda Mahathera spoke English. He certainly has books that are in English.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Alex123 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:13 pm Hello all.

1) Who is your favourite English speaking Theravada (or EBT) teacher/monastic focusing deeply on the suttas?

Thanks.
Analayo Bhikkhu.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Alex123 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:13 pm Hello all.

Thanks.
What !? Theravada is not EBT, that's a deliberate lie and desperate move.

Theravada means Doctrine of Elders. By Elders here meant Arahants of the Councils. Ain't nothing about present age western monks.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:54 pm Bhante punnadhammo
He got tons of videos on youtube.
He is the only English-speaking teacher so far I could not disagree with any particular point.
For instance, I have some disagreements with Bhante Punnaji and venerable Katukurunde Nananada even though they are great teachers and I respect them.
👍🏻

Bhante Punnadhammo's videos are always beneficial and much aligned with Theravada commentarial tradition.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

I owe a great deal of gratitude to Goenkaji and his assistant teacher Dr Kay Wain for kickstarting my fascination with Buddhism. Since then there have been a number of teachers who’s discourses have helped. Ledi Sayadaw, Mahasi Sayadaw, U Ba Khin and a number of his students (including Goenkaji), Ajahn Chah and a number of his students like Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Jayasaro. There are others but a point being there is not just one except for The Blessed One who taught all who have since preserved The Dhamma through the ages.
SarathW

Re:

Post by SarathW »

sunnat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:01 am I owe a great deal of gratitude to Goenkaji and his assistant teacher Dr Kay Wain for kickstarting my fascination with Buddhism. Since then there have been a number of teachers who’s discourses have helped. Ledi Sayadaw, Mahasi Sayadaw, U Ba Khin and a number of his students (including Goenkaji), Ajahn Chah and a number of his students like Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Jayasaro. There are others but a point being there is not just one except for The Blessed One who taught all who have since preserved The Dhamma through the ages.
Yes, Goenkaji is also one of my favorite teachers.
I have not read much of Mahasi Sayadaw. :embarassed:
I think your favorite teacher is determined by your progress in development too.
For instance, I like Ahahn Braham but his rejection of Abhidhamma and his certain jokes I do not like.
He entertains the crowd certainly. :D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

As a young Buddhist I started out as a meditator. Then I read this article from a 1997 Dhamma talk "Importance of the Buddha's Discourses" by Malaysian monk Dhammavuddho Mahathera or Bhante Hye (1947-2019). In gratitude I sent him three copies of Bhikkhu Bodhi's brand-new Anguttara Nikaya translation "Numerical Discourses of the Buddha" by air courier in 2012.

I studied suttas on Access to Insight and noticed that the vast majority of them were translated by Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu (later published on dhammatalks.org). Since then I've mostly been studying and posting on Facebook extracts from his own Dhamma talks, just adding sutta links in the comments as references.

Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu's unique English translations of important Pāli terms: mettā=goodwill, dukkha=stress, anicca=inconstancy, saṅkhāra=fabrications, anattā=not-self, Nibbāna=Unbinding, viriya=persistence, saddhā=conviction, muditā=empathetic joy, kusala=skillful, akusala=unskillful, paññā=discernment, appamāda=heedfulness, yoniso-manasikāra=appropriate attention, dosā=aversion, dhātu=properties, kalyāṇamittatā=admirable friendship, Satipaṭṭhāna=Frames of Reference, vitakka=directed thought, vicāra=evaluation, āsavas=fermentations
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Ajhan Brahmali - beautiful deep voice with nice cadence. I like his mannerisms of speech. I like his explanations of the dhamma. Not too too elaborate. He tells personal stories. And I don’t know what his accent is, but it’s also nice to listen to.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Pondera wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:24 am Ajhan Brahmali - beautiful deep voice with nice cadence. I like his mannerisms of speech. I like his explanations of the dhamma. Not too too elaborate. He tells personal stories. And I don’t know what his accent is, but it’s also nice to listen to.
One of the Nordic countries I think.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:49 pm
Pondera wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:24 am Ajhan Brahmali - beautiful deep voice with nice cadence. I like his mannerisms of speech. I like his explanations of the dhamma. Not too too elaborate. He tells personal stories. And I don’t know what his accent is, but it’s also nice to listen to.
One of the Nordic countries I think.
😎 he’s a great speaker. Has the ability not to “…umm…” - which can really detract from a talk.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded