Ultimate Truth and the Question

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Pondera

Ultimate Truth and the Question

Post by Pondera »

Should Buddhist children receive gifts on their birthday, or does this cause attachment?
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Ceisiwr

Re: Ultimate Truth and the Question

Post by Ceisiwr »

Of course they should.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Born as a human is a matter to be celebrated.
Don't we celebrate Buddhas birth?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

What's wrong with a little joy in samsara? They are children after all.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
[james]

Post by [james] »

Pondera wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:27 pm Should Buddhist children receive gifts on their birthday, or does this cause attachment?
Buddhist children are only Buddhist in the eyes of their Buddhist parents, I would say. The receiving of gifts doesn’t cause attachment in children as much as enable a tendency (to attachment) that may already be active by prior influence. Children and other people benefit from caring expressions, including gifts, at any time.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Everyone answered as I see it too. Something I noticed about age and toys. As children we enjoy toys. I don’t think video games are the right kind of toys. Things that one can hold precious, a teddy bear, a box of Lego. Children grow out of the toy phase, into the accessory phase as teenagers. They want adornments. As adults we want the requisites for life. And these become the object of attachment m, rather than toys, or basic adornments. When we get them and we feel secure finally, I believe we reach a stage of wisdom where are appreciation for the necessities of life compel us to accessorize our possessions - once again making them toys, returning us to childhood. For example, our vehicles. Every one has seen the man or woman who is so happy with their vehicle that they personalize it with adornments - like something hanging off the rear view mirror, or a sticker on the bumper. I think returning to the basic idea of fetishizing our possessions is an extremely human thing. It happens among birds as well. Perhaps other animals too.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
pops

Post by pops »

Pondera wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:27 pm Should Buddhist children receive gifts on their birthday, or does this cause attachment?
Who is the one to tell one should do or avoid something? To which unconsciously constructed being refers that question?

Think about that, if you like to. I myself just wanted to pop in somewhere - of course the friendly way - just found this possibility :)

Wish you and everyone around well
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

No. Buddhist children should give gifts to others on their birthday.
peppersteak

Post by peppersteak »

pops wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:24 pm
Who is the one to tell one should do or avoid something? To which unconsciously constructed being refers that question?

Think about that, if you like to. I myself just wanted to pop in somewhere - of course the friendly way - just found this possibility :)

Wish you and everyone around well
And even with adults, receiving gifts is fine. It's an act of compassion and love, and generally with gifts people enjoy them for the fact that somebody cares about and loves them. Even if material, spreading thoughtfulness and compassion is a great thing to do.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

If I have children in the future, I will give them things:

(1) a good reading material suitable to their age
(2) A trip to visit old folks home or charity organization to help/distribute gifts to the needy people by his/her own hand, let them learn to give.
(3) A gift they wanted
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
NAD

Post by NAD »

Ontheway wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:21 am If I have children in the future, I will give them things:

(1) a good reading material suitable to their age
(2) A trip to visit old folks home or charity organization to help/distribute gifts to the needy people by his/her own hand, let them learn to give.
(3) A gift they wanted
We all have great ideas on parenthood, then the tantrums start…….