Did Buddha want or try to make this world a better place to live?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Did Buddha want or try to make this world a better place to live?

Post by SarathW »

Did Buddha want or try to make this world a better and happy place to live?
Lyrics
(Think about um, the generations
And ah, say we want to make it a better place for our children
And our children's children so that they, they
They, they know it's a better world for them
And think if they can make it a better place)
There's a place in your heart
And I know that it is love
And this place it was brighter than tomorrow
And if you really try
You'll find there's no need to cry
In this place you'll feel there's no hurt or sorrow
There are ways to get there
If you care enough for the living
Make a little space
Make a better place
Heal the world
Make it a better place
For you and for me, and the entire human race
There are people dying
Make a better place for you and for me
If you want to know why
There's love that cannot lie
Love is strong
It only cares of joyful giving
If we try we shall see
In this bliss we cannot feel
Fear of dread, we stop existing and start living
Then it feels that always
Love's enough for us growing
Make a better world
So make a better world
Heal the world
Make it a better place
There are people dying
And the dream we were conceived in will reveal a joyful face
And the world we once believed in will shine again in grace
Then why do we keep strangling life
Wound this earth, crucify its soul?
Though it's plain to see, this world is heavenly
Be god's glow
We could fly so high
Let our spirits never die
In my heart I feel you are all my brothers
Create a world with no fear
Together we cry happy tears
See the nations turn their swords into plowshares
We could really get there
If you cared enough for the living
Make a little space
To make a better place
Heal the world
Make it a better place
There are people dying
Heal the world
Make it a better place
There are people dying
Heal the world (heal the world)
Make it a better place
There are people dying
There are people dying
There are people dying
You and for me (for a better place)
You and for me (make a better place)
You and for me (make a better place)
You and for me (heal the world we live in)
You and for me (save it for our children)
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Michael Joe Jackson
Heal the World lyrics © Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd., Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
https://www.google.com/search?q=make+a+ ... qaeWHCw%3D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
bpallister

Re: Did Buddha want or try to make this world a better place to live?

Post by bpallister »

I think so, by deciding to teach. :anjali:
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Well, a rich interior world should allow one to be less dependent on external conditions.

The problem is that people lack conviction.

Have you noticed that the habits of Buddha and the founding fathers are what makes for a good society and good health?

I'm talking about things like wearing layered clothing, walking barefoot, being vegetarian. Technology is what they went without, for good reason. Even artificial lighting screws with your circadian rhythms.

Try going without electricity for a month. It's waaay better. And don't drive. Granted, you need to have the right location. But it DOES make the world better.

Meditation and yoga create the internal world for this along with the energy for it. With no electricity you sleep when it's time and get up when its time. Walking is natural exercise and without electricity you take cold showers or bathe in a pond. You also go to the town for everything. You can use library computers or telephones, get cooked food to order, go to convenience store for coffee, etc. Everything is better without your own personal everything. You support the economy way more and are way more social too.
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

Adam1234 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:53 am Well, a rich interior world should allow one to be less dependent on external conditions.

Have you noticed that the habits of Buddha and the founding fathers are what makes for a good society and good health?

I'm talking about things like wearing layered clothing, walking barefoot, being vegetarian. Technology is what they went without, for good reason. Even artificial lighting screws with your circadian rhythms.

Try going without electricity for a month. It's waaay better. And don't drive. Granted, you need to have the right location. But it DOES make the world better.

Meditation and yoga create the internal world for this along with the energy for it. With no electricity you sleep when it's time and get up when its time. Walking is natural exercise and without electricity you take cold showers or bathe in a pond. You also go to the town for everything. You can use library computers or telephones, get cooked food to order, go to convenience store for coffee, etc. Everything is better without your own personal everything. You support the economy way more and are way more social too.
Do you have any kids?
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Agnikan wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:58 am
Adam1234 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:53 am Well, a rich interior world should allow one to be less dependent on external conditions.

Do you have any kids?
No.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Adam1234 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:53 am

This is a very good post. Thank you, sir.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:37 am

What if, you do not have those in your town?
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I thought living in the old fashioned way however as mentioned is better than being plugged in to cellphones and laptops. :heart:

More power to living like a True Monk when needed.

I keep wanting to return to a more Peaceful time.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:37 am

Thanks, you're welcome. I was very well known in my community for doing this. People used to get out of their cars just to say hi. I can also say, when you do this you will notice a culture shift. You're just not on the same wavelength as everybody else. It's difficult to describe. You feel kind of like a foreigner. You don't relate to people in the same way anymore. Just, the stuff that occupies their attention in the way it does, it's peculiar to you. I used to walk to the store almost every day and buy my food. I would get made to order chinese food and eat it outside the restaurant, then walk to work which digests it. Seeing people load up shopping carts and put stuff in cars was just strange. At least once a week someone would ask me how much i walk. I think it is the way.
Rambutan

Post by Rambutan »

There are quite a few examples where the Buddha gave instructions on how to live harmoniously with others and to avoid actions which have negative consequences.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

His main focus was soteriological; liberation from samsara and suffering, but he did give worldly advice for how nations could prosper, proper roles, precepts, all of which promote harmony in a better place to live. He also went to a battlefield to stop a war.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DNS wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:24 am His main focus was soteriological; liberation from samsara and suffering, but he did give worldly advice for how nations could prosper, proper roles, precepts, all of which promote harmony in a better place to live. He also went to a battlefield to stop a war.
Agree.
Buddha had the opportunity be a Wheel Turning Monac. But he Chose the Buddhahood instead.
For Buddha, making a world a better place is only a stepping stone for Nibbana.
Unless we have a good place we can't practice.
For instance, may be it is impossible to be a Buddhist in a place like Afghanistan.
Buddhism was wiped out of Afghanistan.

Looking at this example as Buddhist it is our duty to make this world a better place so religions such as Buddhism may be preserved for few more milanom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Afghanistan
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

Probably not quite like that.

If a powerful being intends to make our life easier, I would actually think/vote Hell beings should be cared for as priority.
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

Hell beings, they have rupa body, hence they would need a space to exist.
If the powerful being demolishes Hell, where do we propose to place them?

If the powerful being rebuilds Hell into Heaven/Earth alike, how would you think Hell beings can maintain it so?

As long as there is rupa, space is best & naturally to be segregated into realms.
SecretSage

Post by SecretSage »

SarathW wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:03 am Did Buddha want or try to make this world a better and happy place to live?
I don't think Gautama Buddha had any innate desire to make this world a better place.

He only decided to teach because the Brahma-being Sahampati requested that he should otherwise he would've been a paccekabuddha.

It doesn't seem like anyone requested 3 times that the teacher Gautama make the world a better place I'm sure if someone would've requested he would've for the welfare and happiness of the world.

This means if you encounter an arahant or arahant claimant you should request 3 times that they do something for the welfare and happiness of the world.
"You yourselves must strive; the Buddhas only point the way"