Strong Suttas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dxm10

Strong Suttas

Post by Dxm10 »

Lately, I've started listening to suttas in Audio format from Candana Bhikkhu

So far I have identified 3 strong suttas. Strong suttas usually end with "after these words were spoken, the minds of 10 bhikkus were liberated through non-clinging"

MN 22 - Simile of the Snake
MN 106 - The Imperturbable

UD 3.3 - Bahia

Do you know other strong suttas? Suttas that were carefully created in such a way as to lead the mind towards detachment, towards liberation. Suttas that have a strong effect while being listened to.
SarathW

Re: Strong Suttas

Post by SarathW »

It is like playing a university lecture to a kindergarten child and expect him to be graduated.
It is not possible for us to listen to Bahiya Sutta and become an Arahant as we have not completed the basic Sila , Samadhi and Panna.
However your effort may be rewarded.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Got one sutta

http://www.suttas.com/mn-147-cularahulo ... ahula.html

Not only ten, hundred, but many thousands.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

From what I read, there are six Suttas described to be causing many Deva beings attained stages of sainthood:

(1) Mangala sutta
(2) Parabhava sutta
(3) Mahasamaya Sutta
(4) Cularahulovada Sutta
(5) Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
(6) Samacitta sutta

I think these are strong Suttas.

And Sakkapanha Sutta is a strong sutta, imo, as it turned 80,000 deities and Sakka King of Gods himself to Sotapanna.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Dxm10

Post by Dxm10 »

Ontheway wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:53 am From what I read, there are six Suttas described to be causing many Deva beings attained stages of sainthood:

(1) Mangala sutta
(2) Parabhava sutta
(3) Mahasamaya Sutta
(4) Cularahulovada Sutta
(6) Samacitta sutta

And Sakkapanha Sutta is a strong sutta, imo, as it turned 80,000 deities and Sakka King of Gods himself to Sotapanna.
Nope. These are not strong suttas. You need to train yourself better for spotting strong suttas. Some don't come even close.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Buddha's Teachings are all strong. He is not stingy or compromising in His Teachings.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think what we need is a strong practice.
Suttas reflect the guidance given to people with various development.
So you have to choose a Sutta which reflect your temperaments.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Leigh Brasington mentions some on his website:
Anattalakkhaṇa Sutta (SN 22.59) wrote: And while this discourse was being spoken, the minds of the bhikkhus of the group of five were liberated from the taints by nonclinging.
Āditta Sutta (SN 35.28) wrote: And while this discourse was being spoken, the minds of the thousand bhikkhus were liberated from the taints by nonclinging.
Dīghanakha Sutta (MN 74) wrote: As Ven. Sāriputta was reflecting thus, his mind was released from effluents through not-clinging.
Mahāpuṇṇama Sutta (MN 109) wrote: And while this explanation was being given, the minds of sixty monks, through lack of clinging/sustenance, were released from effluents.
Cūḷarāhulovāda Sutta (MN 147) wrote: Now while this discourse was being spoken, through not clinging the venerable Rāhula’s mind was liberated from the taints.
Chachakka Sutta (MN 148) wrote: Now while this discourse was being spoken, through not clinging the minds of sixty bhikkhus were liberated from the taints.
Tiṁsamatta Sutta (SN 15.13) wrote: And while this discourse was being spoken, the minds of the thirty mendicants from Pāvā were freed from defilements by not grasping.
Yamaka Sutta (SN 22.85) wrote: And now that I have heard this Dhamma teaching of the Venerable Sāriputta, my mind is liberated from the taints by nonclinging.
Khemaka Sutta (SN 22.89) wrote: And while this discourse was being spoken, the minds of sixty elder bhikkhus and of the Venerable Khemaka were liberated from the taints by nonclinging.
Dutiyagilāna Sutta (SN 35.75) wrote: And while this discourse was being spoken, that bhikkhu’s mind was liberated from the taints by nonclinging.
Paṭhamalakuṇḍakabhaddiya Sutta (Ud 7.1) wrote: Then after being taught like this Bhaddiya’s mind was freed from defilements by not grasping.
Dvayatānupassanā Sutta (Snp 3.12) wrote: And while this discourse was being spoken, the minds of sixty mendicants were freed from defilements by not grasping.
Aggikkhandhopama Sutta (AN 7.72) wrote: And sixty monks were freed from defilements by not grasping.
Dxm10

Post by Dxm10 »

Now these are some strong suttas! And that's how to spot them, they must have that kind of ending.

A strong sutta has to hit you like a hammer to the head. They're much more powerfull of listened to than if being read. That's how they were supposed to be consumed to begin with. Unfortunatelly, Candana Bhikkhu has not finished doing SN on youtube, but he did all the other nikayas.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:47 am I think what we need is a strong practice.
Suttas reflect the guidance given to people with various development.
So you have to choose a Sutta which reflect your temperaments.
What matters is not the strength of suttas . But ones own strength of understanding and what suits one may not suit another . When lord budda explained matters of explanaton he considered multiple factors .
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Dxm10 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:57 pm
Ontheway wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:53 am From what I read, there are six Suttas described to be causing many Deva beings attained stages of sainthood:

(1) Mangala sutta
(2) Parabhava sutta
(3) Mahasamaya Sutta
(4) Cularahulovada Sutta
(6) Samacitta sutta

Nope. These are not strong suttas. You need to train yourself better for spotting strong suttas. Some don't come even close.
In that case, that's just your personal opinion. Your own version of choice.

And personal opinion doesn't even make any significance in this Sasana.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Dxm10

Post by Dxm10 »

Those were light suttas. At a best case they were medium intensity suttas. We're searching for STRONG suttas over here! The kind of suttas that make your head POP like a bubble.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Dxm10 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:58 am

A strong sutta has to hit you like a hammer to the head.

I would imagine they would be like a Typhoon of Mildly Cool Rain instead of a violent hammer on the head. After all the head is a Sacred Space..
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

This is how SN 12.63 ends
“It is in such a way, bhikkhus,
that I say the nutriment consciousness should be seen.
When the nutriment consciousness is fully understood,
name-and-form is fully understood.

When name-and-form is fully understood,
I say, there is nothing further
that a noble disciple needs to do.”
Dear OP: does SN 12.63 make you head POP like a bubble.
You wrote
The kind of suttas that make your head POP like a bubble.
is a strong sutta.
Does SN 12.63 qualify?
With love :candle: