Home I concentrate worse than in the Goenka 10-day course

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
AsianInTheWest

Re: Home I concentrate worse than in the Goenka 10-day course

Post by AsianInTheWest »

Update: day 18 of Vipassana@home

With the help of mind calming techniques in the Yoga Sutra of Panjali, I have advanced a bit in my Goenka-based journey: that I could "feel the insect sometimes on the lower lips, the chin and under the jaw".

For the rest, I cannot feel that "subtle experience" on other parts of the body.

Attempts to "penetrate under the skin" render no success.
AsianInTheWest

Post by AsianInTheWest »

Update on day 18, again

Found this excellent article on meditation techniques https://www.meditationiseasy.com/medita ... echniques/ which is the translation and explanation of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vij%C3% ... ava_Tantra

My knowledge on the mind, the body, the "centering techniques" is broadened
AsianInTheWest

Post by AsianInTheWest »

Day 19 (or 20?)

Feel like observing my body from 20-50 meters above, while doing the "quick scan" ("quickly feel if the parts of the body are there"). Happening at around minute 35 into the meditation session. What I did: (1) Intention declaration, (2) so-ham with throat constraining, (3) alternate-nostril, (4) feeling the mild and pleasant non-stressful brain for about 5-10 min, (5) get lost in thoughts and fighting against it, (6) Suddenly decide to do Goenka technique in a quick flow way, I cannot do the full sensation so I use my own "scanning-and-feeling-that-body-parts-are-there").
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hi:

I dont practice the goenka method, but my advice would be to stick to a practice at least one year before starting to change methods. Also, if your teachers dont like you reading suttas, you should not read them for the moment. A sutta can be interpreted 100 different ways.

Besides that, because you mention depression and suicidal thoughts, you need the opinion of a doctor regarding your practice.

PD: what does it mean "spine" here? I got lost there.

Regards
Last edited by 2600htz on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AsianInTheWest

Post by AsianInTheWest »

Hi there,
Thanks for your feedback.
I get help from doctors, but since they are so slow I need to save myself through meditation.

Spine: try to visit and find sensation there I understood that way
pudai

Post by pudai »

I'd say it would be the peace of your mind not being filled with the Host country language... Of course emptiness emptiness still applies to the reality of either existing as the view of reality... Of which there is a thicket and yet for those that know? No argument.

So you look at anything and there is the home reflection of it or an instant samadhi mirror of YOU since the host country would say: TV, floor, carpet etc. in discursiveness or their talk/thinking.

When "home" I am sure there is a sort of "zen" madness where everything is either speaking the home language with a mixture of foreign in various contacts... as contact reveals "mind" and yet only the attached mind can grasp it or let it go as if it were one's own same as speaking or not speaking host language when home to those that do not speak it there.

So here's Zen... "What s the sound of" and the bowl hits the sink and sounds just like the rest of the koan being repeated... One step back and pow the mind was empty... So who was the repeater of the Buddhas name?.

In the host country I wouldn't say easier and I suggest not practicing there... wait til you get back home because if Nirodha happens? It's likely you'll get stuck and not be on "ancestral grounds". Homage and the triple refuge is and was a way to get back to them... But to be honest a grave yard is a grave yard is a grave yard even if the living don't know it to be anything more than a church a shrine a temple etc. but people want slaves have thickets of views and ignorance reigns so what can be said when someone wanders outside of their range?

:buddha2:
The six senses accommodate; All the factors of existence... The All.
Apart from; The All... Nothing exists.
The senses are empty of a self & what belongs to a self.
AsianInTheWest

Post by AsianInTheWest »

@pudai:
I am not sure I understand your post fully, but it seems legit to mention "peace", "home" and "foreign".

I am 45 y.o., have worked 12 different jobs the last 19 years, have moved between 20 houses in my life, through 3 countries.

I hate most of the things in my "home" Asian country (where I used to live until the age of 26) and also I hate many things in the host European country I am living.

Maybe it would be hard for me to find peace ?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

AsianInTheWest wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:50 amI hate most of the things in my "home" Asian country (where I used to live until the age of 26) and also I hate many things in the host European country I am living.
Anyone with a hateful temperament should practise loving-kindness meditation. Some degree of tranquillity is necessary to practice insight meditation effectively.

Lacking that, trying to contemplate negative mental states like ill-will, discontent, and restlessness will not be very fruitful. The mind will just jump around like a monkey leaping from tree to tree to escape a predator. To understand the factors leading to the arising of mental states, and the way to abandon them, one needs to face them and contemplate them to understand their true nature — impermanent, suffering, and not-self or not subject to my will and control.

When one can establish concentration on the primary meditation object — whether that is the breath, the sitting posture, the abdominal movements, or sensations of touch — one will enjoy peace and joy. Meditation will cease to be difficult; sitting still for one hour, or walking back and forth for one hour, will be easy. When concentration is good, the meditator does not keep anticipating the end of the session. He or she may wish to continue in the same posture for two hours or even longer.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
AsianInTheWest

Post by AsianInTheWest »

I will think about this. Thanks