Doing homework for college students

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Sha Bac

Doing homework for college students

Post by Sha Bac »

There is a company called SIMPLETENSE. simpletense works with Chinese students by having English speakers do drafts of their assignments. It may be suspected that the Chinese students are using the work directly which could be plagiarism. But the English writers have no way of knowing WHAT the student is doing with the work.

Is this wrong?
SarathW

Re: Doing homework for college students

Post by SarathW »

Whatever the bad or good Kamma you have done will come back to you one day.
That is how I live now days.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

So how well does this pay?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Get Chat GTP to do the home work and you can charge for your time.
So now anybody can be a tutor.
:tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

There's a part in the monk's vinaya where if they suspect something has been done, it is unallowable for them.
So you don't need absolute proof of those students cheating, just a strong suspicion is enough.
For your own kamma.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

SarathW wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:59 am Get Chat GTP to do the home work and you can charge for your time.
ChatGPT is unreliable.
_/|\_
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Inedible wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:57 am So how well does this pay?
I don't actually do it anymore and haven't for a long time. I actually just thought it was fun and you're getting paid to learn and write.

Top writers made 35k a year.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

If I were serious about considering it, I'd probably Google it. I was just trying to be funny by asking. 35K does sound like good money, though.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I stopped doing it because I didn't need to. It was fun. Like having deadlines and having assignments generated by someone else. The way I justified it was, it's none of my business knowing what the student does with it. They said it was so the student could study an example. Nobody really knows for sure what the student was doing with it...

But the assignments I did were like 10 to 40 dollars. It was just extra money. I worked part time for ups and just didn't need to do it.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Dan74 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:47 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:59 am Get Chat GTP to do the home work and you can charge for your time.
ChatGPT is unreliable.
I heard that the newest version is quite reliable.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/26/tech ... index.html

https://www.abajournal.com/web/article/ ... percentile
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Bundokji wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:20 pm
ChatGPT is unreliable.

It's probably been trained on this sort of material specifically.

In many other matters it is completely hopeless. It is unable to extract a square root:
chatgpterror1.png
It comes up with a "great" example for a sum rule in Combinatorics:
chatGPTerror2.png
When I asked it for a list of words in Russian and German that have a common origin, it gave (among others) Das Buch and Kniga. Not related.

And when I asked for references that compare Swiss Rail (SBB) and German Rail (Deutsche Bahn), it made up a bunch of fake references that don't exist.

This is all in the last few weeks.
_/|\_
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

Bundokji wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:20 pm
ChatGPT is unreliable.

ChatGPT appears to have been dulled down since the March 14th update. It is no longer providing the same level of analysis nor communication. The sweet-spot has been Feb 9 - Mar 14 based on my daily conversations with it for the last two months.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dan74 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:00 pm ChatGPT is unreliable.
It seems to be moving quite fast...
The free version that I've used doesn't work very well, but one of my colleagues ran his recent (third year) and my (first year) test through the subscription version and it scored about 80% on both. During Covid times when we did tests and exams online I used randomization of data to make it more difficult for students to collaborate. They could still discuss how to do the calculation, but they would at least need to put the numbers in themselves. However, that would have no impact if they were using ChatGPT, so it's good that we are back to in-person tests! Using diagrams does slow the process, as then you need to type in a description of the situation...

Of course, students who manage to get through first-year courses by cheating are going to run into all kinds of issues as they progress, but I think we need to take these developments seriously.

:heart:
Mike
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:27 pm
Of course, students who manage to get through first-year courses by cheating are going to run into all kinds of issues as they progress
Like the issue of how to get ChatGPT to do their second year work? :)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:35 pm
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:27 pm
Of course, students who manage to get through first-year courses by cheating are going to run into all kinds of issues as they progress
Like the issue of how to get ChatGPT to do their second year work? :)
:jumping:

Luckily with invigilated examinations, it's not possible to invoke AI. And at higher levels students need to be able to present and defend their work.

Potentially, tasks and assessments will change in response to the ability of technology to do some of the more boring tasks, just as we don't spend time adding up columns of figures by hand... A computer science professor on the radio this morning was suggesting that AI is likely to relieve much of the tedium involved in writing and debugging code, allowing us to focus more on the key issues, rather than being bogged down in programming syntax. That would certainly be a relief to some of us...

:heart:
Mike