my post with video link to dalai lama was deleted. why?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
frank k

my post with video link to dalai lama was deleted. why?

Post by frank k »

It would be good to offer some explanation, so we get a better understanding of what we should and should not post.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
SDC

Re: my post with video link to dalai lama was deleted. why?

Post by SDC »

Because there is already a thread about it in the Lounge
Last edited by SDC on Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SDC

Post by SDC »

Do you want me to hold your hand and walk you down there?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

As SDC says. :anjali:
frank k

Post by frank k »

SDC wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:17 pm Do you want me to hold your hand and walk you down there?
Thanks for the explanation.
I don't know if you've noticed, but it isn't all that easy to see the newest and most high traffic threads.
They get pigeon holed too quickly into very specific subs.

when you peruse:
Theravada Buddhism Community
Buddhism Discussion Forum

for example, it only shows the most recent single thread of each sub.

So I usually just stay in 'General Theravāda discussion'
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
SDC

Post by SDC »

frank k wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:20 pm
SDC wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:17 pm Do you want me to hold your hand and walk you down there?
I don't know if you've noticed, but it isn't all that easy to see the newest and most high traffic threads.

when you peruse:

The interface is not perfect by any means, but it will definitely remain a mystery to you if you just “dump and dash” in only one section (ensuring hits to your blog). :guns:

I’m pretty sure if you take ten minutes from your busy schedule as savior of modern Dhamma practitioners, that you’ll figure it out just fine. :D
Radix

Post by Radix »

frank k wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:20 pmI don't know if you've noticed, but it isn't all that easy to see the newest and most high traffic threads.
Dhamma Wheel
A Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of Theravāda Buddhism

Quick links

In the drop down menu, go to New posts or Active topics to get the most recent posts, regardless of subforums.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Radix wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:25 pm
frank k wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:20 pmI don't know if you've noticed, but it isn't all that easy to see the newest and most high traffic threads.
In the drop down menu, go to New posts or Active topics to get the most recent posts, regardless of subforums.
Correct, I have found the Active topics link the best way to see where the most recent topics and posts are, regardless of which sub-forum they are in. It is the same with the discourse software, for example at SC under their 'Latest' link.

Currently, there are about 150 to 170 active topics, so you may have to scroll through some pages to see all of the most recent topics and posts. This is because we are currently busy plus there is one particular poster who has been necro-posting a lot of old threads. :D

In general though, the activity fluctuates between about 50 to 150 active topics; it's just a little busier than usual lately.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

when you peruse:

I do not want to extend the workload of moderators, but it could be good if they communicate the reason for the deleted posts. at least for an opening post. Just a suggestion :shrug:
So I usually just stay in the 'General Theravāda discussion
Hi Frank.
Yes, I see your problem.
When I login to DW I click "Quick links" and click "active posts" Perhaps you can click "new post" as well.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
frank k

Post by frank k »

SDC wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:36 pm

when you peruse:

The interface is not perfect by any means, but it will definitely remain a mystery to you if you just “dump and dash” in only one section (ensuring hits to your blog). :guns:

I’m pretty sure if you take ten minutes from your busy schedule as savior of modern Dhamma practitioners, that you’ll figure it out just fine. :D
You're a mod right?
I expect most people will project their own defilements and assume anyone posting links to their blog does so to increase traffic.
But since you're a mod, or at least a very active user, I expect a little more from you.
The topics in Buddhism I'm interested are very niche.
The type of posts I do require pali and english lined up.
I only care about getting my posts out there efficiently and effectively, not about self promotion.
I have no sponsors, I get no money.
I'd just as soon cut and paste everything (especially HTML links) from my blog and drop it directly into reddit and DW, but this is what happens when I do:
8.8.3 - J3🌖 THIRD JHĀNA
🚫😁 pītiyā ca virāgā
With [mental] rapture fading,
👁 upekkhako ca viharati
he lives equanimously observing [☸Dharmas with subverbal mental processing].
(S&S🐘💭) sato ca sam-pajāno,
remembering [and applying relevant ☸Dharma], he lucidly discerns.
🙂🚶 sukhañca kāyena paṭi-saṃ-vedeti,
He experiences pleasure with the [physical] body.
yaṃ taṃ ariyā ācikkhanti —
The Noble Ones praise this [stage of jhāna in particular because they expect this to be the normal state of the average monk in all postures at all times]:
‘upekkhako satimā sukha-vihārī’ti
"He lives happily with pleasure, Equanimously observing and remembering [to engage in relevant ☸Dharma]."
🌖 tatiyaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharati.
he attains and lives in third jhāna.

TOC for details on third Jhāna in book Goldcraft
        Goldcraft 4.3.3 j3🌖 Third Jhāna
            Goldcraft 4.3.3.1 pītiyā ca virāgā = With [mental] rapture fading
            Goldcraft 4.3.3.2 👁upekkhako ca viharati = he lives equanimously observing
            Goldcraft 4.3.3.3 sato ca sam-pajāno = he is a rememberer and lucid discerner
            Goldcraft 4.3.3.4 sukhañca kāyena paṭi-saṃ-vedeti = senses pleasure with body
            Goldcraft 4.3.3.5 yaṃ taṃ ariyā ācikkhanti = the noble ones praise this
            Goldcraft 4.3.3.6 ‘upekkhako satimā sukha-vihārī’ = "He lives happily.…"
            Goldcraft 4.3.3.7 tatiyaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharati = he attains and lives in third jhāna.
            Goldcraft 4.3.3.22 3rd jhāna misc.
HTML side by side formatting for pali and english lost, hyperlinks to direct sutta jumps lost.

So that's the main reason I post a link to the blog instead of just cutting and paste.
It only takes two seconds to cut and paste HTML from blogger.
You don't think I'd love spend that extra two seconds and get people like you ascribing ulterior motives to shut the hell up?
The Dhamma topics I'm interested in are super niche.
I share the research I do in the way I do for efficiency, not for fame or monetary gain.
Who gets rich or famous doing this kind of thing?
What we get is mostly negativity and lack of appreciation.
Mods and superusers being leaders of that negativity just makes it that much more likely people with good things to offer the forums disappear forever.
frank k

Post by frank k »

DNS wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:04 pm
Correct, I have found the Active topics link the best way to see where the most recent topics and posts are, regardless of which sub-forum they are in. It is the same with the discourse software, for example at SC under their 'Latest' link.

Currently, there are about 150 to 170 active topics, so you may have to scroll through some pages to see all of the most recent topics and posts. This is because we are currently busy plus there is one particular poster who has been necro-posting a lot of old threads. :D

In general though, the activity fluctuates between about 50 to 150 active topics; it's just a little busier than usual lately.
Thanks, that helps.
Is there something that alerts you or takes you to posts from people you've flagged as your friends?
SDC

Post by SDC »

frank k wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:04 pm
You're a mod right?
I expect most people will project their own defilements and assume anyone posting links to their blog does so to increase traffic.
But since you're a mod, or at least a very active user, I expect a little more from you.
The topics in Buddhism I'm interested are very niche.
The type of posts I do require pali and english lined up.
I only care about getting my posts out there efficiently and effectively, not about self promotion.
I expect more from you, Frank. You consistently impress on upon the reader to focus their energy in a place that has nothing to do with the lifestyle change required for Dhamma understanding. Do you expect others to be excited about that? That’s why I’m busting your chops right now.

And, no, I’m not a moderator. And if I were, I’d petition to have all your blog-linked posts remain in a single thread rather than dumped in “General Theravada Discussion” as if it were your twitter feed.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

frank k wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:20 pm Thanks, that helps.
Is there something that alerts you or takes you to posts from people you've flagged as your friends?
Under the notifications in the top right, you should get notifications if someone quotes you that will take you directly to that post. Also under quick links, you can click "Your posts" but so far there is nothing about getting posts from your friends. phpbb updates occasionally and it might be some feature in a future edition.
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

Dhamma Wheel
A Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of Theravāda Buddhism

Quick links

Thank you!!
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

frank k wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:04 pm HTML side by side formatting for pali and english lost, hyperlinks to direct sutta jumps lost.
Hey Frank, I know almost nothing about this stuff but I asked ChatGPT and they gave a possible fix for your copy-paste formatting issue. Not sure if it is helpful bot thought I'd pass it along.
HTML to Markdown Converter.png
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)