(Pa-Auk) Should we concentrate only on breathing through one nostril?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
DeadBuddha

(Pa-Auk) Should we concentrate only on breathing through one nostril?

Post by DeadBuddha »

Hi

We have two air flows: one enters and leaves through the left nostril, the other enters and leaves through the right nostril.

It is possible to concentrate on both flows at the same time, or only on one of the flows (the one from the left nostril or the one from the right nostril).

In Pa Auk Sayadaw's technique, I don't understand if he advises to concentrate on both flows at the same time or on only one of the flows.

Thank you in advance

May all beings become arahant.
auto

Re: (Pa-Auk) Should we concentrate only on breathing through one nostril?

Post by auto »

DeadBuddha wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:47 am Hi

We have two air flows: one enters and leaves through the left nostril, the other enters and leaves through the right nostril.

It is possible to concentrate on both flows at the same time, or only on one of the flows (the one from the left nostril or the one from the right nostril).

In Pa Auk Sayadaw's technique, I don't understand if he advises to concentrate on both flows at the same time or on only one of the flows.

Thank you in advance

The flow corresponds with the internal energy flowing in what channels, it is supposed to change in hourly intervals. If both holes are open then middle channel is open(if i remember). If one side is stuffy, it takes skill, to be able get it flow.

Brain has sides too. Sometimes one side then other. If you can move what is in one brain side to enter the middle, as a result you get a stillness state or blackout state.
--
The way you talk seem you are doing the laser concentration(read braindead one). I doubt it is going to work for you
DeadBuddha

Post by DeadBuddha »

auto wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:32 pm
DeadBuddha wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:47 am Hi

Thank you in advance

The flow corresponds with the internal energy flowing in what channels, it is supposed to change in hourly intervals. If both holes are open then middle channel is open(if i remember). If one side is stuffy, it takes skill, to be able get it flow.

Brain has sides too. Sometimes one side then other. If you can move what is in one brain side to enter the middle, as a result you get a stillness state or blackout state.
--
The way you talk seem you are doing the laser concentration(read braindead one). I doubt it is going to work for you
Thank you but sorry I am not talking about the subtle body (channels, energy, etc.). I am talking about the breath, the breathing breath.
auto

Post by auto »

DeadBuddha wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:00 pm Thank you but sorry I am not talking about the subtle body (channels, energy, etc.). I am talking about the breath, the breathing breath.
I know, i just get to the point why breath flows in one nose side then another.. You might have heard about channels, but you don't consider them viable at all, that same symptom carries over also to how you treat Pa auk system. Ideally, if i were you i would work with the mindset or approach you have. Considering you still trying to get something to work by asking such base questions.
auto

Post by auto »

I have no problem getting the mental breath arise. I don't focus on regular breath. Before i didn't had mental breath, i breath in and then trying to notice the after-effect at the moment when it stops and goes over to out breath, likewise with the outbreath.

general rule is that the regular breath is ceased, stopped, stilled completely, when the subtle breath arises and it doesn't simply arise, it has a reason or function it serves. And in breath subtle breath arises in different place than out breath.

if i want subtle breath to arise, i need know the place where it is. When i get it arise, certainly it has then doing its function perhaps several times and then it is in different place and shape, quality form..

Problem with Pa-auk methods and the likes(visuddhimagga) is that they simply use it as an object as any other object to get mental image, that image has gone transformation already and is not pristine, it is with faults. Visuddhimagga does mention image without faults, but the descriptions of it are weird, can't derive from that what exactly the without faults image is.

and buddhagosas idea is copy pasted to every abhidhamma explanation.
DeadBuddha

Post by DeadBuddha »

auto wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:09 pm
DeadBuddha wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:00 pm Thank you but sorry I am not talking about the subtle body (channels, energy, etc.). I am talking about the breath, the breathing breath.
I know, i just get to the point why breath flows in one nose side then another.. You might have heard about channels, but you don't consider them viable at all, that same symptom carries over also to how you treat Pa auk system. Ideally, if i were you i would work with the mindset or approach you have. Considering you still trying to get something to work by asking such base questions.
I don't quite understand what you're getting at.
auto

Post by auto »

DeadBuddha wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:40 pm I don't quite understand what you're getting at.
you have a thread on similar topic
viewtopic.php?p=701356#p701356

what you lack is experience, the things said(in books or not) doesn't ring any bells..

i find it especially funny that you understand what ceiswir is telling.
DeadBuddha

Post by DeadBuddha »

what you lack is experience, the things said(in books or not) doesn't ring any bells..
Yes, now I am practicing what I read in Pa Auk Sayadaw's book and pdf. I will see where it takes me.
Lol, is it?
auto

Post by auto »

DeadBuddha wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:32 pm
Yes, now I am practicing what I read in Pa Auk Sayadaw's book and pdf. I will see where it takes me.
Lol, is it?
Ceiswir practices kasina in this thread,
viewtopic.php?p=699430#p699430

there is a quote from visuddhimagga, most people follow that Buddhagosa's instructions. Pa auk pdf about anapanasati the second edition is brought in line with the visuddhimagga terminology.
DeadBuddha

Post by DeadBuddha »

auto wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:10 pm
DeadBuddha wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:32 pm
Lol, is it?
Ceiswir practices kasina in this thread,
viewtopic.php?p=699430#p699430

there is a quote from visuddhimagga, most people follow that Buddhagosa's instructions. Pa auk pdf about anapanasati the second edition is brought in line with the visuddhimagga terminology.
Thanks
I wonder if he managed to reach jhana
auto

Post by auto »

DeadBuddha wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:44 pm I wonder if he managed to reach jhana
Yes, i doubt he has.
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

I follow Pa AuK lineage and I focus on a spot or region few inches down...between the upper lip and nose area.So it's in the middle.

So not on each nostril.

Also you are referring to the physical breath which is quite coarse only use that to anchor or at the beginning.

There's another perception of the breath that develops its not quite physical..more like a Knowing...it can be in a different spot from the physical breath.. its more stable.

When that perception arises..

I focus on that.

When you focus on that..breath as a concept..vicara arises ..which makes the other jhana factor arise too.

Only focus on physical breath at the beginning..once the other more refined perception of the breath forms don't force yourself to keep focusing on physical sensation...just naturally let yourself watch the more refined breath...

You can't jump from physical breath straight to jhana its very coarse.Also physical breath is not very stable keeps changing and moving.

When you focus on the physical breath for long periods naturally the refined breath will arise.So just don't force yourself to keep focusing on the physical breath when the refined breath is there.

Physical breath-->Refined Breath--->Nimitta----> First Jhana