Hello from Miami

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Extinguishpassion

Hello from Miami

Post by Extinguishpassion »

Hi.

I began frequenting this forum regularly recently and upon reading several quality posts the thought arose in me "if ever there was a type of person worth having a friendship with, its precisely this type".

Whats that type? Simply, 1. men 2. who possess good values and 3. practice the dhamma.

Upon this realization, it became apparent to me that I should participate in the hopes of making a friend, for I never had a noble friend.

Im 26, and seriously expect to retire [thats to say, ordain in the orchre robe] before turning 30. This is also a good reason to be here and talk with other people considering going forth into homelesness.

And of course, i pay homage to the bhikkhu's present; of which I've read Bhikkhu Pesala's contributions, always inspiring faith and praise worthy. May he be safe and happy wherever life may lead him.

Forgive me but I do not not specifically know of other Bhikkhus present, but for all here, i pay respect.

Also, homage to the Buddha, for he truly is the most brilliant and compassionate teacher. His teaching is unexceled, unsurpased, good in the beggining, middle, and end. He posseses the divine eye and is the foremost in wisdom. His mindfulness is perfect. Thank God for the suttas, and the internet. The dhamma is a blessing. What good fortune it is to know the Dhamma...to become disenchanted, to be on the path to cuting off craving at the root. We're very fortunate to have found this treassure.

God bless us all.

Hope to meet you! Wish you all much happiness in your lives and wherever it may lead you.
SarathW

Re: Hello from Miami

Post by SarathW »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
May the triple Gems bless you!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Extinguishpassion wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:21 am Thank God for the suttas, and the internet.

God bless us all.
Which god?
Extinguishpassion

Good question. A wholesome one. Either Sakka or a helpful deva.

But its interesting because I dont think there are much other forms of spreading good will and cheer in the english language other than 'god bless you', since 'bless you' is just a diminutive of god bless you.

'Have a good day' is too puthujana. 'Have a blessed day' sounds out of tune with the modern vernacular.

'May you be safe' can inspire fear and dread as in why wouldnt I be safe? Am I in danger? (we are in danger, but this is not a conversation worth establishing in the world when the intent was to spread good will.)

'Take care' is a good one. Non chalant and with a clear and wholesome meaning. But its hard to make in plural. 'Take care y'all' is gramatically correct but sounds too southern for comfort.

But for the moment 'God bless us all' is the most clear and impactful way of spreading good will verbally I've found for now. It doesn't sound off. The moment you hear it all you feel is good will. For someone to say that, they allmost have to have good will. The moment it doesnt have good will it turns into 'bless your heart'. Which is a shame cause bless your heart is poetically correct, but its cultural meaning is otherwise.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What is the meaning of "bless"?
pronounce words in a religious rite in order to confer or invoke divine favour upon; ask God to look favourably on.
"he blessed the dying man and anointed him"
Similar:
ask God's favour for
ask God's protection for
give a benediction for
invoke happiness on
endow
favour
provide
grace
bestow
furnish
entrust
present
grant
vouchsafe
afford
accord
give
donate
confer on
lavish on
endue
Opposite:
curse
trouble
(especially in Christian church services) call (God) holy; praise (God).
Similar:
praise
worship
glorify
honour
exalt
adore
pay tribute to
pay homage to
give thanks to
venerate
reverence
hallow
magnify
laud
(of God or some notional higher power) endow someone with (a particular cherished thing or attribute).
"we have been blessed with a beautiful baby boy"
Similar:
consecrate
sanctify
hallow
dedicate (to God)
make holy
https://www.google.com/search?q=bless+m ... e&ie=UTF-8
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Welcome to the Existence!
Extinguishpassion wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:21 am The dhamma is a blessing. What good fortune it is to know the Dhamma...to become disenchanted, to be on the path to cuting off craving at the root. We're very fortunate to have found this treassure.
:candle:
Extinguishpassion wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:21 am Thank God for the suttas, and the internet.
Why not for the Vinaya and Abhidhamma?
And for the Commentaries?

:namaste:
Extinguishpassion

Eko Care wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:37 pm
Why not for the Vinaya and Abhidhamma?
And for the Commentaries?

Just because it wasn't through any of those that I saw the dhamma. It was through the suttas.

Now, after taking up 8 precepts, I am grateful for the Vinaya.

Abhidamma still is not relevant in my path. But I'm sure in some years that might be different.

What was your introduction to the dhamma?
How is your practice going?
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Extinguishpassion wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:07 am Now, after taking up 8 precepts, I am grateful for the Vinaya.
We all. :anjali:
(A forgotten book on the beginning of the Vinaya.)
Extinguishpassion wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:07 am What was your introduction to the dhamma?
It was not a Tzunami-like conversion.

It was gradual and a complex structure with feed backs somewhat like below.

Dependent Graduality.png
Dependent Graduality.png (3.46 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
Extinguishpassion wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:07 am How is your practice going?
Not very bad.

May the Triple Gems Bless You!
Lesteraction

Post by Lesteraction »

Honour should also be paid to the Buddha, who is unquestionably the greatest wise and kind teacher. His instruction is exceptional, unparalleled, and beneficial from beginning to conclusion. He has the divine eye and is the wisest person. He practises perfect awareness. We are grateful for the internet and the suttas. A blessing is the dhamma. What a blessing it is to understand the Dhamma, to become disillusioned, and to be on the right track for removing craving at its source. It's a great blessing that we came across this treassure.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB