Laying bags of predator insect eggs

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
AliochaKaramazov

Laying bags of predator insect eggs

Post by AliochaKaramazov »

Greetings to all and my respectful salutations to the members of the Sangha.

I wished to reach out as in my current job my boss asked me (and probably will again) to lay little bags containing eggs of certain insects in a field, they are apparently themselves lay eggs in other species’ eggs to prevent them from propagating and damaging crops.
My question is, am I acting unskilfully by laying these bags ?
I have no intention to kill yet I remain doubtful regarding this action, I would be glad if I could please receive your help regarding this matter.
I wish to all the very best,
With mettā.
santa100

Re: Laying bags of predator insect eggs

Post by santa100 »

AliochaKaramazov wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:56 pm Greetings to all and my respectful salutations to the members of the Sangha.

I wished to reach out as in my current job my boss asked me (and probably will again) to lay little bags containing eggs of certain insects in a field, they are apparently themselves lay eggs in other species’ eggs to prevent them from propagating and damaging crops.
My question is, am I acting unskilfully by laying these bags ?
I have no intention to kill yet I remain doubtful regarding this action, I would be glad if I could please receive your help regarding this matter.
I wish to all the very best,
With mettā.
Probably a mix of both dark and bright kamma for it will bring both benefit and harm, ie. the harm will be on other species, but the benefit will be for the consumers of the crops. So when in doubts, err on the safe side and see if your boss could assign you other tasks that you know will bring mostly benefits. The boss likely wouldn't mind if the alternative wholesome task is something requires more time and hard work than the original egss-laying task. Good luck!
AliochaKaramazov

Post by AliochaKaramazov »

Thank you so much for sharing and helping me.
I’ve indeed sent a message to my boss explaining a bit my preference to abstain from doing that again.
Although since my intention wasn’t to harm or to kill, could it be rather similar to digging up earth (which unintentionally may harms certain beings) ? I understand I cannot foresee the precise workings of karma but it seems to me that the lack of intent to kill is fundamental in the context.
Thank you for your kind words.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

AliochaKaramazov wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:44 pm Thank you so much for sharing and helping me.
I’ve indeed sent a message to my boss explaining a bit my preference to abstain from doing that again.
Although since my intention wasn’t to harm or to kill, could it be rather similar to digging up earth (which unintentionally may harms certain beings) ? I understand I cannot foresee the precise workings of karma but it seems to me that the lack of intent to kill is fundamental in the context.
Thank you for your kind words.
The digging-up earth scenario is a bit different than the eggs-laying task though, for in the former, at least you consciously watch out for the patch of soil where living creatures are visible to your naked eyes (for those invisible, at least you can say you've tried your best), while for the latter, the wholesale application of the predators' eggs lack a discriminatory factor that could potentially save some creatures' lives.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

You were setting out eggs to increase life. This takes the place of applying chemicals to take life and poison the area. The chemicals aren't specific enough to avoid harming pollinators like bees. As for the eggs, predator doesn't seem very specific. We all eat something. Do you know the specific types of eggs so you could refer to them by name instead?
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

The eggs are being put there with the intention to kill other animals. This intention comes from your boss and you are aware of it but also following his orders, your intention is something like being a good employee. You can't plead ignorance or pretend what you're doing won't lead to death of those insects but it is also clearly not your own intention to kill.
So it depends on how you feel about your role in this situation. Talking to your boss about it seems a good idea.