Prof. Maria Heim – Learning How to Read Buddhist Texts with Buddhaghosa

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Eko Care

Prof. Maria Heim – Learning How to Read Buddhist Texts with Buddhaghosa

Post by Eko Care »

In this episode, Dr. Kate Hartmann speak with Dr. Maria Heim about her beginnings as a scholar of classical South Asia, the role of commentaries in Buddhism, and the importance of emotions to the Buddhist path. We also preview her upcoming online course, BSO 202 | Visuddhimagga: The Path of Purification, which will focus on this important Theravada text written by Buddhaghosa in the 5th century and cherished by Buddhists ever since. We discuss Buddhaghosa's theory of the Buddha's speech as endlessly meaningful, and what that means for how we might read Buddhist texts ourselves.

Learning How to Read Buddhist Texts.jpg
Eko Care

Re: Prof. Maria Heim – Learning How to Read Buddhist Texts with Buddhaghosa

Post by Eko Care »

Dhammavamsa wrote: I am in love with visuddhimagga. Great read indeed.

I bought the book ( BPS version, 2nd edition by Bhikkhu Nanamoli) about more than 10 years ago and I don't really read it at all since I spend most of the time reading B.Bodhi's Majjhima Nikaya and other modern Buddhist books.

I was carried away by some modern day Teacher like Ven. Dhammavuddho to only focus on Suttas (But again my confidence towards him shaken as Ven. Dhammavuddho taught that there is an everchanging Soul in all of us, from that time, I begin to doubt his opinion on commentaries such as Visuddhimagga too). t then I listened to Bhante Vimalaramsi commented on Visuddhimagga and I am quite doubtful on the matter.

Recently I gave a try on reading it and I think most of its points went along good with Suttas.
Modern Protestants are not good sources to learn from.

Learning from a teacher who is wise and faithful, matters.

Sometimes they may also have some opinions that are hard to reconcile with Tipitaka and Commentaries.

If it is so, what will be the fate of students of Protestant Teachers?
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

You was off to such a good start as well. This thread probably needs kicking into the General forum so the Protestants can reply to kammic threats.
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Dearest BrokenBones, don't have time to listen to the video.
Is the artist of this video related to Maria Heim, or do the lyrics describe the OP behavior?
Heim teaches at a college nearby.
In fact their library is a goldmine. I visit that often.
On her college bio Heim lists herself as a Christian.
  • Does the concept of God sit well with the Forum on Classical Buddhism?
Is the OP saying we should listen to the sermons (podcasta)of Maria Heim?
The commentary to the Vinaya says (VA 973)
  • That one should oneself by making the way become,
    come to the path
    and should not be brought
    to it by anyone else.
Commentaries are allowed on this forum, RIGHT?
Here is a case where commentary disputes commentary.
Which commentary should we listen to? Can the OP advice us on this one? Are the translations of I.B. Horner to be rejected?

The comment I brought from Vinaya, is found on p48 of the Book of discipline of Vinaya pitaka. in the section under Mahavagga.
It involves a dialogue between the Lord and Uruvela Kassapa.
I will post the gatha later, for completions's sake.
With love :candle:
Last edited by Pulsar on Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Indeed, Ven. Bhaddantacariya Buddhaghosa Thera is well versed in Dhamma and I think it is always a good start for meditators to spend some time reading Visuddhimagga.

Serious practising Buddhists will pay attention to Visuddhimagga and Commentaries.

Compared to modern so-called 'scholars' or new age 'buddhist' expert... I rather put my bet with Ven. Bhaddantacariya Buddhaghosa Thera.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Ontheway wrote
Compared to modern so-called 'scholars' or new age 'buddhist' expert
are you referring to Dr. Maria Heim? She is the only modern scholar that OP introduced, that is being discussed on this thread. Her opinions specifically.

As for other experts when did the New age begin? Is it with the Decease of the Buddha? or 200 years later approximately when the schisms began? 3500 years from now folks will say New age began right around around 3100? who is to dispute them?
We won't be alive.
Please tell us how to determine the exact beginning of the NEW Age? according to Ontheway? but again my question was not about New age. My question was
Should we reject the commentary to the Vinaya Pitaka? on this forum that thrives on Commentaries?
Please stick to the point.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Pulsar wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:15 pm Ontheway wrote
Compared to modern so-called 'scholars' or new age 'buddhist' expert
are you referring to Dr. Maria Heim? She is the only modern scholar that OP introduced, that is being discussed on this thread. Her opinions specifically.

As for other experts when did the New age begin? Is it with the Decease of the Buddha? or 200 years later approximately when the schisms began? 3500 from now folks will say New age began right around around 3100? who is to dispute them?
We won't be alive.
Please tell us how to determine the exact beginning of the NEW Age? according to Ontheway? but again my question was not about New age. My question was
Should we reject the commentary to the Vinaya Pitaka? on this forum that thrives on Commentaries?
Please stick to the point.
Dr. Maria Heim is referring to the work of Venerable Bhaddantacariya Buddhaghosa Thera. Though a modern scholar, yet she is being honest and learned from the historical perspective of how Theravada preserved.

I am referring to 'scholars' or new age 'buddhist' expert, those with ' ', which pay no attention on historical facts and tradition. The examples would be those Abhidhamma deniers and Secular Buddhists.

(ps with love? Sounds like Japanese Tatemae culture to me. No thanks)
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Ontheway wrote
Dr. Maria Heim is referring to the work of Venerable Bhaddantacariya Buddhaghosa Thera.
Dr Maria Heim is a Christian, are we beginning to trust the opinion of Christians over Buddhists? You continue
Though a modern scholar, yet she is being honest and learned from the historical perspective of how Theravada preserved.
Are you implying other scholars such as Dr. Roderick Bucknell are dishonest?
Latter admittedly was a Buddhist, serious enough to don robes for a few years. Dr Maria Heim, admittedly is a christian.
You continue:
I am referring to 'scholars' or new age 'buddhist' expert, those with ' ', which pay no attention on historical facts and tradition. The examples would be those Abhidhamma deniers and Secular Buddhists.
Is this your answer to my question? Let me repeat...
Should we reject the Vinaya Pitaka commentary?
You are not responding to the question, just eel wriggling?
Your example of
Abhidhamma deniers and Secular Buddhists.
is not what Dr. Maria Heim is referring to in the interview.
What is with you? Can't you keep things straight? One simple question?
Tell me why we should reject the Vinaya commentary put forth by the scholar I B Horner.
Is Horner dishonest, or is the Vinaya commentary dishonest?
You continue:
(ps with love? Sounds like Japanese Tatemae culture to me. No thanks)
I am sorry if my words sound like Japanese Tatemae to you ....
I hate to get personal, but elsewhere you have said you are 33 years old? and still could not find a girl friend, (sounds of frustration). Looks like you envy your Dad?
When I end my comments with "with love" I don't mean to say I want to get romantically
involved with people....
Basically my attitude is spread love to the whole world. That is what I understand by reading Metta sutta, love in all four quarters, unlimited.
To use English the way I choose to, is my prerogative.
PS Please answer the question, stick to the topic
Should we reject Vinaya commentary?
This particular comment (of the Vinaya commentary) which I pointed out, is extremely fitting in the context of the current discussion.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

This nonsense still in the Classical section?... for shame 😉
I thought it had been agreed that this wasn't a playground or a 'safe space' if you will, for bashing us 'Protestants' and the issuing of veiled kammic threats.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Visuddhimagga is good learning material for learning orthodox Buddhism in a holistic way. Definitely a must-read for Theravada Buddhist students.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.