A new discovery. Walking is good for you!

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:tongue:
Well, Buddha walked all his life, and maybe for a good reason.
By the way, can you give any other benefit of walking?

Last edited by SarathW on Sun May 21, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: A new discovery. Walking is good for you!

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:11 am
By the way can you any other benefit of walking?
:thumbsup:

Solvitur Ambulando!

For the sick or habitually sedentary and depressed, it shows people that they can actually do something which makes a difference.

It gets you out of the house and usually increases the chance of serendipitous encounters and experiences.

It exercises the dog and burns off her energy! (Very important in my case...)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Solvitur Ambulando!
“It is solved by walking,”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:11 am By the way, can you give any other benefit of walking?
Interesting that he didn't give one of the most obvious benefits of walking:

13. Transportation. It will get you to where you want to go.

It shows he's definitely a First World guy, drives everywhere that he didn't mention that. But he probably just wanted to focus on the health benefits. For most of history people walked to get from point A to point B and back again. Now there are some urban villages popping up where you can do your shopping, restaurants and other places, all within walking distance.
SarathW wrote:Well, Buddha walked all his life, and maybe for a good reason.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It shows he's definitely a First World guy, drives everywhere that he didn't mention that. But he probably just wanted to focus on the health benefits. For most of history people walked to get from point A to point B and back again. Now there are some urban villages popping up where you can do your shopping, restaurants, and other places, all within walking distance.
I have to admit I am one of the culprits too.
I chose the car just to go half a kilometer instead of walking. Then come home and do two kilo meters in the thread mill.
:rolleye:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Benefits of Walking Meditation.

There were no cars or trains in the time of the Buddha. If monks wanted to live in peaceful places such as in forests or mountain caves, they had to walk into the nearest village to get alms.

To propagate the teachings, the Buddha spent the period between the end of one Rains Retreat and the beginning of the next, walking from place to place around the Middle Country of India. Only occasionally, as expedient means, he used his psychic powers to travel quickly to a distant place.

There were caravans of merchants travelling longer distances, or ox-carts taking goods to market, but they were not much faster than walking. Monks could use them if they needed to.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:21 pm The Benefits of Walking Meditation.

There were no cars or trains in the time of the Buddha. If monks wanted to live in peaceful places such as in forests or mountain caves, they had to walk into the nearest village to get alms.

To propagate the teachings, the Buddha spent the period between the end of one Rains Retreat and the beginning of the next, walking from place to place around the Middle Country of India. Only occasionally, as expedient means, he used his psychic powers to travel quickly to a distant place.

There were caravans of merchants travelling longer distances, or ox-carts taking goods to market, but they were not much faster than walking. Monks could use them if they needed to.
In Sri Lanka some monks refuse to come to alms giving unless you provide them transport like a car or something.
I hardly see a monk walking to alms collection or alms giving.
:D
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

SarathW wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:31 amIn Sri Lanka some monks refuse to come to alms giving unless you provide them transport like a car or something.
I hardly see a monk walking to alms collection or alms giving.
:D
Rarely seen here in the UK either; whether Burmese, Thai, or Sri Lankan traditions. The English Forest Saṅgha monks and nuns walk for alms, but as far as I know, not the entire community every day. Dāyakas bring almsfood to the monasteries daily; and resident lay devotees cook some basic foods.

I go out for my meals five days a week, while dāyakas bring alms food on the other two days. As I am over sixty, I have a free bus-pass which is valid after 9:00 am and at weekends. When I need to go earlier during the week, I can use an Oyster card, which dāyakas top up for me as needed. £7 a month is sufficient for four journeys. I return after 9:00 am.

Very rarely, someone will see me walking, or sitting on the bus, and offer some food. I would not survive for long unless invited to the homes of local Buddhists for almsfood.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Very rarely, someone will see me walking, or sitting on the bus, and offer some food. I would not survive for long unless invited to the homes of local Buddhists for almsfood.
It is not easy to be a monk in a foreign country and strictly follow rules I believe.
Mainly due to uninformed people.
Even as a Buddhist, I knew about monks only after joining this forum. Before that, I would not have offered food to monks if I see them on the road.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

SarathW wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:10 pm
It shows he's definitely a First World guy, drives everywhere that he didn't mention that. But he probably just wanted to focus on the health benefits. For most of history people walked to get from point A to point B and back again. Now there are some urban villages popping up where you can do your shopping, restaurants, and other places, all within walking distance.
I have to admit I am one of the culprits too.
I chose the car just to go half a kilometer instead of walking. Then come home and do two kilo meters in the thread mill.
:rolleye:

i like to drive to the gym and then walk on the treadmill. :hello:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

bpallister wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:01 amI like to drive to the gym and then walk on the treadmill. :hello:
The popularity of gym membership has always puzzled me. Why pay for petrol to drive to the gym, (pay for parking), pay for membership, then walk inside the gym, when you could walk to the gym and walk back again for free? If the gym is too far, just walk to your local park or supermarket.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:32 am
bpallister wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:01 amI like to drive to the gym and then walk on the treadmill. :hello:
The popularity of gym membership has always puzzled me. Why pay for petrol to drive to the gym, (pay for parking), pay for membership, then walk inside the gym, when you could walk to the gym and walk back again for free? If the gym is too far, just walk to your local park or supermarket.
I think going to a gym is a lifestyle choice. I never go to the gym.
Perhaps you can see beautiful bodies.
Meet a girl or a boy.
:shrug:
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:32 am
Well, i mostly lift weights and do very little cardio. and i don't really have the room for all the equipment here at home, tho i do have a few things.