Dry feelings

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
befriend

Dry feelings

Post by befriend »

The last two days I have been doing chores with mindfulness and meditating for 45 minute sittings. Today I feel sooo dry emotionally. it made me want to drink I toughed it out and did some metta sutta chanting out loud. And that made me feel good. But today I am tired and feeling at my wits end. I've heard Buddhists say with mindfulness practice can get dry. Any advice?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Dhammapardon

Re: Dry feelings

Post by Dhammapardon »

The Buddha praises those who can discern a mind with as a mind with. You understand a mind with tiredness feeling. I believe the medicine for tiredness is energy or effort. Possibly the kind which is directed at identifying the causes of the tiredness. What happens if you take the tiredness as an object of attention and look into its source?
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Dhammapardon wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:21 pm The Buddha praises those who can discern a mind with as a mind with. You understand a mind with tiredness feeling. I believe the medicine for tiredness is energy or effort. Possibly the kind which is directed at identifying the causes of the tiredness. What happens if you take the tiredness as an object of attention and look into its source?
:goodpost: Good advice there from Dhammapardon, and I would also recommend metta bhavana.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Sounds like the mind wants to experience something different from what you are giving it, that would be something worthwhile investigating.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
santa100

Post by santa100 »

befriend wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:52 pm I've heard Buddhists say with mindfulness practice can get dry. Any advice?
It's not only training in mindfulness, but with everything else. Whether good or bad, our mind/body is very efficient at adapting/adjusting to new conditions. You could see that with your workout routine at the gym. Lifting heavy weights will make your muscles grow bigger and stronger at the beginning, but then your body adjusts/adapts to the routine and soon start to plateau out. One will need to constantly adjust/adapt his training routine to sort of "shock the muscles" to maintain the same growth rate. Should be no different for mind training.
befriend

Post by befriend »

I was just dehydrated that's why I was feeling so dry just needed some water. Not making a joke. But it is kind of funny I thought it was from doing dry vipassana
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.