induce sleep paralysis

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
confusedlayman

induce sleep paralysis

Post by confusedlayman »

How to induce sleep paralysis on will?

No useless comments, please comment straight to the point.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Bundokji

Re: induce sleep paralysis

Post by Bundokji »

What would be the connection with the Buddhist path if i may ask?

That would help receiving more straight to the point answers, i believe.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It is most likely to happen if you sleep on your back. Being propped up at an angle can help. But the biggest thing is that you aren't sleeping well. Frequent interruptions. That's why your body falls back to sleep before your mind and you experience waking sleep paralysis. Nicholas Newport (Lucidology) has videos on YouTube. At least, he used to. He talked about using a kitchen cooking timer set for a few minutes and learning the controls to restart it with minimal hand movements. He created MP3 files with beeps. The idea was to let himself fall asleep and trust the beeps to wake him. In hypnosis, this is called fractioning when you go into a state, break the state, and cycle back into it. Every repetition takes you in deeper. It is why using the snooze button repeatedly can leave you feeling worse rather than better.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Bundokji wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:56 pm What would be the connection with the Buddhist path if i may ask?

That would help receiving more straight to the point answers, i believe.
to enter jhana
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:17 pm
to enter jhana
!

My guess is you either don't understand what sleep paralysis is, or what jhana is, or both.

Sleep paralysis is quite unpleasant for the person experiencing it and observers (often associated with night terrors). It is a form of disordered sleep, typically associated with stress. I am very curious how you are connecting this to jhana! :alien:
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Sleep paralysis is useful for wake-induced lucid dreams and out-of-body experiences. It is not necessary, however.
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

My first and most memorable sleep paralysis experience was induced by reading the book 'into thin air' right before going to sleep. You could try that!

I do think there are more sure-fire and pleasant ways to enter jhana.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

dharmacorps wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:19 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:17 pm
to enter jhana
!

My guess is you either don't understand what sleep paralysis is, or what jhana is, or both.

Sleep paralysis is quite unpleasant for the person experiencing it and observers (often associated with night terrors). It is a form of disordered sleep, typically associated with stress. I am very curious how you are connecting this to jhana! :alien:
u dont feel body, u feel only feelings.. so if u radiate metta u could feel metta or converts in to jhana feeling instead of fear feeling. Point of jhana is mind awake body asleep.. mind aware but body awareness not there...
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Inedible wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:27 am Sleep paralysis is useful for wake-induced lucid dreams and out-of-body experiences. It is not necessary, however.
for me i like sleep paralysis... easy way to enter jhana. but sleep paralysis is not easy..
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:32 am My first and most memorable sleep paralysis experience was induced by reading the book 'into thin air' right before going to sleep. You could try that!

I do think there are more sure-fire and pleasant ways to enter jhana.
I do not know any other way. This way is good for me as of now.