Ledi Sayadaw Quote

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Joe.c

Re: Ledi Sayadaw Quote

Post by Joe.c »

Bhikkhu Ariyananda wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:26 am SN 6.9 Turūbrahmasutta: With the Brahmā Tudu
[NOTE: To understand what is going on in this sutta, it is necessary to catch Kokālika’s misunderstanding of a non-returner. A non-returner is someone who is not reborn again in the human world. However gods who are non-returner can, if they like, make visits to the human world as is the case here.]
I’m aware of SN 6.9. You might want to check also the back story on AN 10.89, where Kokalika has bad thoughts on Two arahants Sariputta and Maha Moggallana. Tudu Brahma comeback to remind kokalika about them as good monks, arahants.

But NEVER a non returner announce a supreme or unsurpassed in future. In true dhamma, future hasn’t been set. Why the mind move to future, when the present experience can be seen/discern here and now.

That mean his mind is still moving and hasn’t let go the desire for future in sensual realm.
MN 131 wrote:
The Buddha said this:
“Don’t run back to the past,
don’t hope for the future.

What’s past is left behind;
the future has not arrived;
and experience in the present
are clearly seen in every case.

Knowing this, foster it—
unfaltering, unshakable.

Today’s the day to keenly work—
who knows, tomorrow may bring death!

For there is no bargain to be struck
with Death and his mighty hordes.

The peaceful sage explained it’s those
who keenly dwell like this,
tireless all night and day,
who truly have that one fine night.
A non returner may comeback to human world to visit, but not to teach because they can’t. A non returner has given up sensual realm here and now. No more future for back to human womb. They may comeback to remind someone about true dhamma etc.

Anyway good luck.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Joe.c wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:35 am
whynotme wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:06 pm Only bodhisattva can claim unsurpassed.

When one read this first sentence and one already know you are blind big time. A bodhisatta can’t claim unsurpassed. Why? See below.

Bodhisatta = bodhi +satta = a being seeking awakening = not yet fully awaken yet.

So only a Buddha (awaken one) can claim unsurpassable knowledges with destruction of asava(s).

Only a non returner or an above has fully developed samma samadhi (+all N8FP factors). Although non returner still needs to break 5 higher bonds.

Others that want to come back hasn’t understood samma samadhi (jhana). Because jhana pleasure is finer than 5 senses pleasures (kama loka). Knowing jhana/samma samadhi will make people don’t want to return to gross pleasure ever. If this hasn’t been understood, he/she doesn’t know even 1st jhana. Let alone all jhana. Then how can a blind one teach other blind one as well. Both will go to the pit eventually.

Anyway good luck.
A bodhisattva can claim unsurpassed in the future like a prince can claim unsurpassed inherit the throne.

And when there's no Buddha in the world then a bodhisattva is unsurpassed. While not ending all samsara, a bodhisattva can master all jhanas and supernatural abilities above all others, even non returners etc. That's unsurpassed.

A bodhisattva even reborn in highest brahma world still have the compassion to return to sensual realm. Because a bodhisattva is trained in helping others, that's normal.

Even the Buddha after parinibbana still come back at the end of his sasana. Are you saying the Buddha is chained by sensual desires? The Buddha doesn't come back not because they can't. Even the arahants, non returners, stream enters.. all of them not come back not because they can't. But because they all know there's always someone for the jobs. The lineage of awaken can not be broken under any condition, by anyone be it mara, brahma or deva or human..

That why they don't come back, not because they don't have the ability but they don't see the need. It's a big difference, claiming they can not returning or teaching is blaming the noble ones.

A brahma like a no returner, if he wish could make the whole human amazing with his coming. Imagine if someone could just leviate 1m above the ground then the whole world will worship him so much let alone other abilities. But that's not his job so he doesn't do it.

You lacking the understanding will do you no good as blaming noble ones will leave a very strong impression in the memory. That memory will be play back a trillion times stronger when meeting it conditions. Unless if you ve made other enough serious kamma so you know your condition is very bad that you accept blaming noble ones then I can understand.
Please stop following me
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

Sorry the above poster is waste of time already. No need to reply. Too many wrong views indeed.

There will be no worry for one who is in the path and dwell all the time in the path. Only one who is blind will be worry all the time.

Good luck.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Joe.c wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:16 am
No, no one can just meditate blindly without hearing true dhamma first from true ariya. This needs to be investigated personally.
Lots of people before the Buddha meditated. Lots of people today, outside of Buddhism, meditate quite successfully.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:24 pm Lots of people before the Buddha meditated. Lots of people today, outside of Buddhism, meditate quite successfully.
Yeah without achieving stream enterer. If they got to brahma world as puthujjana, they will go to lower realms after that. Good luck to that.

That is why Bodhisatta (Buddha to be) rejected all those practices. Hence he became Samma Sambuddha. The First in this period.

Anyway, please let me know the names? I would like to see personally whether it is true or not that they have achieved anything succesfully. Because i checked most of them, unfortunately almost all didn’t know a lot of things.

That is why i always go back to Buddha.

If one want to be like Buddha, well follow all his instructions to the details. Can’t miss any steps. Always remember his teaching.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Joe.c wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:59 pm
Anyway, please let me know the names? I would like to see personally whether it is true or not that they have achieved anything succesfully. Because i checked most of them, unfortunately almost all didn’t know a lot of things.
Sure. Yājñavalkya, Āḷāra Kālāma, Uddaka Rāmaputta, Mahavira, Patañjali. In modern times many Hindus, Christians and Jains. Although I can’t prove it, I have a feeling that Thomas Aquinas experienced jhāna, which is what lead him to abandon his Summa Theologica

“I can write no more. All that I have written seems like straw” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

Many, many people have transcended the kāma-loka and higher. To achieve such a mastery of the mind is to be commended which is why many Christian, Jain and Hindu monastics and others should be respected and praised. I have no doubt that many of the monks here will have experienced jhāna.

“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Joe.c wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:16 pm Sorry the above poster is waste of time already. No need to reply. Too many wrong views indeed.

There will be no worry for one who is in the path and dwell all the time in the path. Only one who is blind will be worry all the time.

Good luck.
That's called blind faith 😂

Yes the one who has blind faith will not have worry. Christian can have blind faith, but nowhere near the truth.

One of the strategy to fool everyone is grasping to old text. Then ignore every reason.
Please stop following me
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:20 pm Sure. Yājñavalkya, Āḷāra Kālāma, Uddaka Rāmaputta, Mahavira, Patañjali. In modern times many Hindus, Christians and Jains. Although I can’t prove it, I have a feeling that Thomas Aquinas experienced jhāna, which is what lead him to abandon his Summa Theologica

“I can write no more. All that I have written seems like straw” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

Many, many people have transcended the kāma-loka and higher. To achieve such a mastery of the mind is to be commended which is why many Christian, Jain and Hindu monastics and others should be respected and praised. I have no doubt that many of the monks here will have experienced jhāna.

Transcended kama loka doesn't mean holy yet. It is just free from 5 senses (very rare achievement nowadays), they will comeback due to wrong view. See DN 29, where Buddha rejected udaka ramaputta.

Actually even in Buddhism, you will see outsider advertise as Buddha teaching, but when you analyze it properly well not so much true dhamma in it. No mention of 4NT, N8FP. There is only sitting and meditate first.

Unfortunately, all that you mentioned are all death. Well can't analyze death people. This will lead to speculation and waste of time eventually.

I look and study almost all religions before, even Krishnamurti and others. Some still have a remaining of Buddha teaching in them. However they keep changing it and it is becoming lower teaching left only.

But Buddha dhamma is still going strong or weak depends on how you see it. There are still very very very very little people practicing in the right way in N8FP. Majority practice blindly. Speculate and speculate about many different things.