sutta about instant gratification vs delayed gratification?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
confusedlayman

sutta about instant gratification vs delayed gratification?

Post by confusedlayman »

i heard that delayed gratification is important for success in laylife

any sutta on how to practice delayed gratification?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Re: sutta about instant gratification vs delayed gratification?

Post by SarathW »

Try this.
"Any recluses or brahmans who do not understand as they actually are the origin, the disappearance, the gratification, the danger and the escape[6] in the case of these two views are affected by lust, affected by hate, affected by delusion, affected by craving, affected by clinging, without vision, given to favoring and opposing, and they delight in and enjoy proliferation. They are not freed from birth, aging and death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair; they are not freed from suffering, I say.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .ntbb.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Digha Nikaya 31, Sigalovada Sutta

He advised lay people to spend one-fourth of their income on daily expenses, invest half, and keep one-fourth for an emergency. According to the Buddha, one of the greatest forms of happiness is for lay people to be free of debts.

The practice of investing some and keeping some aside for an emergency, is a form of deferred gratification.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DNS wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:10 pm Digha Nikaya 31, Sigalovada Sutta

He advised lay people to spend one-fourth of their income on daily expenses, invest half, and keep one-fourth for an emergency. According to the Buddha, one of the greatest forms of happiness is for lay people to be free of debts.

The practice of investing some and keeping some aside for an emergency, is a form of deferred gratification.
:goodpost:

Based on that I might consider Parabhva sutta too.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nara.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Then the she-deva came down to earth and said to Samiddhi: "You are young, bhikkhu, to have left the world, black-haired, with the bloom of youth. In your youthful prime you do not enjoy the pleasures of the senses. Get your fill, bhikkhu, of human pleasures. Don't reject the present moment to pursue what time will bring."[6]

"I, friend, do not reject the present moment to pursue what time will bring. I reject what time will bring to pursue the present moment. Time's pleasures, friend, as the Blessed One has said, are fraught with pain, fraught with tribulation, leading to greater danger. This Dhamma is here-present, out of time, inviting inspection, leading onward, to be realized by the wise each for himself."
When, after a long absence, a man safely returns from afar, his relatives, friends and well-wishers welcome him home on arrival.
As kinsmen welcome a dear one on arrival, even so his own good deeds will welcome the doer of good who has gone from this world to the next.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.