Alien Buddhas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lucas Oliveira

Re: Alien Buddhas

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

ok, there may be other Buddhas in the Universe..

but..
Chiggala Sutta: The Hole

"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, arises in the world. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world. Now, this human state has been obtained. A Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, has arisen in the world. A doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:45 am ok, there may be other Buddhas in the Universe..

but..
Chiggala Sutta: The Hole

"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, arises in the world. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world. Now, this human state has been obtained. A Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, has arisen in the world. A doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
:anjali:
If the chance of birth on the earth is so scarce
then it the liberation from suffering is many more times limited for liberation from suffering and hence we must make the best of this life for liberation at least by qualifying for state of sotapannna . Or the minimum by following the 5 precepts .
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:49 pm I happen to believe that other civilisations exist in this vast universe. If, hypothetically we contact them and we find that they too have a religion identical with Buddhadhamma, that in their history there was one who preached the 4NT, would that be a vindication of our faith, that Buddhadhamma is true? If this discovery also happened how would Theravāda respond, given that it teaches there can be no multiple Buddhas?
Classically speaking. Buddhists are supposed to believe in aliens. Since the Buddha literally says there are other world systems out there with their own 31 planes of existence etc. and that there are 3 other "human" continents in our very world system. And the requirement is only that its one Buddha per world system. There is even a Burmese story i think (not sure if its canonical in the Pali) of Moggallana travelling the cosmos and then accidentally stumbling upon a Buddha from a different galaxy thinking it was Lord Gautama Buddha. The only issue perhaps is if the Buddhas of the other galaxies taught something at odds with the Pali Canon, in which case Theravada would have to either ignore the other Buddha or admit thier texts are not a completely perfect and flawless record.
“Ānanda, a galaxy extends a thousand times as far as the moon and sun revolve and the shining ones light up the quarters. In that galaxy there are a thousand moons, a thousand suns, a thousand Sinerus king of mountains, a thousand Indias, a thousand Western Continents, a thousand Northern Continents, a thousand Eastern Continents, four thousand oceans, four thousand Great Kings, a thousand realms of the Gods of the Four Great Kings, a thousand realms of the Gods of the Thirty-Three, of the Gods of Yama, of the Joyful Gods, of the Gods who Love to Create, of the Gods who Control the Creations of Others, and a thousand Brahmā realms. This is called a thousandfold lesser world system, a ‘galaxy’.

A world system that extends for a thousand galaxies is called a millionfold middling world system, a ‘galactic cluster’.

A world system that extends for a thousand galactic clusters is called a billionfold great world system, a ‘galactic supercluster’.

If he wished, Ānanda, a Realized One could make his voice heard throughout a galactic supercluster, or as far as he wants.”

“But how would the Buddha make his voice heard so far?”

“First, Ānanda, a Realized One would fill the galactic supercluster with light. When sentient beings saw the light, the Realized One would project his call so that they’d hear the sound. That’s how a Realized One could make his voice heard throughout a galactic supercluster, or as far as he wants.”
https://suttacentral.net/an3.80/en/suja ... ript=latin
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
form

Post by form »

This is. Star wars dhamma thread? So our Buddha is only for a single solar system? With many solar systems meaning multiple infinite Buddha exist at th same time? Isn't other planes of existence more like alien lives or more like existence in other forms or formless? And all these if under our Buddha is restricted to our solar system only.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

form wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:51 am This is. Star wars dhamma thread? So our Buddha is only for a single solar system? With many solar systems meaning multiple infinite Buddha exist at th same time? Isn't other planes of existence more like alien lives or more like existence in other forms or formless? And all these if under our Buddha is restricted to our solar system only.
I think it's more like Galaxy or something between Galaxy and solar system. Since the other 3 "human" planets don't seem to be in our solar system. I think the other planets in our solar system are just empty planets. The brahma and deva realms are invisible to telescopes.
Last edited by TRobinson465 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
santa100

Post by santa100 »

form wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:51 am This is. Star wars dhamma thread? So our Buddha is only for a single solar system? With many solar systems meaning multiple infinite Buddha exist at th same time? Isn't other planes of existence more like alien lives or more like existence in other forms or formless? And all these if under our Buddha is restricted to our solar system only.
Notice the constraint in MN 115 does not restrict the concurrent existence of multiple infinite Buddhas at the same time. It only restricts their concurrent existence in the same "world-system". And it's yet to be known for certain whether that'd mean a solar-system, a galaxy, or some other cosmological structures/classifications yet to be known by our current scientific understanding.
form

Post by form »

santa100 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:05 pm
Notice the constraint in MN 115 does not restrict the concurrent existence of multiple infinite Buddhas at the same time. It only restricts their concurrent existence in the same "world-system". And it's yet to be known for certain whether that'd mean a solar-system, a galaxy, or some other cosmological structures/classifications yet to be known by our current scientific understanding.
TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:57 pm
I think it's more like Galaxy or something between Galaxy and solar system. Since the other 3 "human" planets don't seem to be in our solar system. I think the other planets in our solar system are just empty planets. The brahma and deva realms are invisible to telescopes.
What is perceived could be broken down into finer and finer perceptions. Quantum physics, Rupa. Internal and external universe. I will check out MN 115 later. But I think most people consider the current Buddha as the only one at any one time. When his teachings are still around, not even pratyekabuddhas can exist concurrently.
form

Post by form »

I consider devas, other forms of life existences as aliens.
form

Post by form »

MN115 only said one world system. It didn't said it is the solar system
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

form wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:11 am MN115 only said one world system. It didn't said it is the solar system
yes and there are many world systems. so what we consider "alien" Buddhas is perfectly possible in theravada. and they can even exist simultaneously, just not in the same world system.

form

Post by form »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:08 am
form wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:11 am MN115 only said one world system. It didn't said it is the solar system
yes and there are many world systems. so what we consider "alien" Buddhas is perfectly possible in theravada. and they can even exist simultaneously, just not in the same world system.
Someone mentioned in a previous post a disciple of Buddha using psychic power and meet another Buddha. Is this documented in the sutta?
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

form wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:32 am
Someone mentioned in a previous post a disciple of Buddha using psychic power and meet another Buddha. Is this documented in the sutta?
A self claimed arhant and acadamically qualified microbiologist with controversial ideas namely Pitiduwe Siridamma thera, recently explained that there are alien buddas visiting this planet to educate spiritually aligned humans . He expressed the idea that understanding by such means is not by developing the brain but is by gaining knowledge from such buddas.
However at another discussion another bikkhu explained that though there can be buddas on other universes only one samma sambudda can arise in the universes during a kalpa.
form

Post by form »

justindesilva wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:12 am

A self claimed arhant and acadamically qualified microbiologist with controversial ideas namely Pitiduwe Siridamma thera, recently explained that there are alien buddas visiting this planet to educate spiritually aligned humans . He expressed the idea that understanding by such means is not by developing the brain but is by gaining knowledge from such buddas.
However at another discussion another bikkhu explained that though there can be buddas on other universes only one samma sambudda can arise in the universes during a kalpa.
I personally won't take it seriously unless there is a clear documentation in the sutta. I would be very critical on content spoken by a self declared arahat.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

form wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:59 am

I personally won't take it seriously unless there is a clear documentation in the sutta. I would be very critical on content spoken by a self declared arahat.
I request to be excused for writing this as neither me nor most buddhists in sri lanka do not take Siri damma thera as an arhat , to be fare by sri lankan buddhist society . However his presentations at times on evolution etc . fits the academic thinker based on his presentation . I wrote this to show the different ideology of some on alien buddas .
Siri damma thera has gained popularity by developing a 60 acre land in to a fertile agricultural village and getting recognised by various internationally recognised institutes.
form

Post by form »

justindesilva wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:41 am
form wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:59 am

I request to be excused for writing this as neither me nor most buddhists in sri lanka do not take Siri damma thera as an arhat , to be fare by sri lankan buddhist society . However his presentations at times on evolution etc . fits the academic thinker based on his presentation . I wrote this to show the different ideology of some on alien buddas .
Siri damma thera has gained popularity by developing a 60 acre land in to a fertile agricultural village and getting recognised by various internationally recognised institutes.
No issue for me. You are free to write what you want. :smile: