Help with depression

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
karuna4

Help with depression

Post by karuna4 »

Hello all, I have been struggling with depression and anxiety now for many years. I tried anti-depressants when I was younger but did not find them helpful as they had a bad effect on my memory and my behavior. I have also tried therapy and have had a number of very helpful and wise people trying to help me with my problems. However, I am now feeling worse than ever, even though I have been a practicing Buddhist for more than 10 years. I have tried meditating and reflecting on the painful feelings and this did not help to shift anything. Conversely, I have tried the opposite approach of trying to develop wholesome thoughts but have not had much success with this. I have also tried to keep the precepts for the last 10 years, although I have not made much headway with anger, especially towards myself.

I feel like I am coming to a dead-end as nothing seems to be helping and my life situation seems to be getting out of hand as I have made a number of bad decision lately. I am thinking about talking medication again but am worried about the side-effects. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

With Metta
robertk

Re: Help with depression

Post by robertk »

I encourage you to develop the perception of anatta - both through study and seeing how true it is in daily life.
To the extent that this perception is developed, to that extent will sadness vanish.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Hello karuna4

You can try taking medications again, and weigh up the benefits against the side effects. If you have not taken anti-depressants for a long time, there might be new generation /formula of anti-depressants that might suit you better.

I also think that your patience is impressive. You did not give up on Buddhist practice for 10 years despite witnessing little positive results. In case of medication, you do not have to be as patient. Set up a period of time (few months or a year) to evaluate their efficacy and to make a decision if they work for you. Meanwhile, continue to practice, especially the precepts.

Good luck :heart:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Radix

Post by Radix »

One's problems can sometimes stem from trying to use religion/spirituality to solve one's worldly problems.
In order to succeed in the world, one needs to be worldly.
In order to succeed in religion/spirituality, one needs to be religious/spiritual.
It's one or the other, though, one cannot have both, or at least not for long; there comes a time when one needs to choose between the two.

For starters, a suggestion is to stop using religious/spiritual practices in order to make oneself feel better.
It can also help to view religion/spirituality as a luxury. If one wasn't born and raised into it, then maybe it wasn't meant to be for one.
Instead, focus on meaningful worldly activities, like work. (Google "work therapy".)
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Seek help from professionals, not people on an anonymous internet forum.

You will get a lot of advice here and the internet in general, but distinguishing what is good advice from what is bad advice will be very difficult.
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

When did the depression start? Was there an obvious or subtle life change that preceded the depression?
Radix

Post by Radix »

dharmacorps wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:03 pm Seek help from professionals
How will the OP recognize a professional?
Should the OP consider the official success and failure statistics of standardized depression treatments?
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

karuna4 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:59 pm Hello all, I have been struggling with depression and anxiety now for many years. I tried anti-depressants when I was younger but did not find them helpful as they had a bad effect on my memory and my behavior. I have also tried therapy and have had a number of very helpful and wise people trying to help me with my problems. However, I am now feeling worse than ever, even though I have been a practicing Buddhist for more than 10 years. I have tried meditating and reflecting on the painful feelings and this did not help to shift anything. Conversely, I have tried the opposite approach of trying to develop wholesome thoughts but have not had much success with this. I have also tried to keep the precepts for the last 10 years, although I have not made much headway with anger, especially towards myself.

I feel like I am coming to a dead-end as nothing seems to be helping and my life situation seems to be getting out of hand as I have made a number of bad decision lately. I am thinking about talking medication again but am worried about the side-effects. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

With Metta
I think the root cause of depression is anger.
Perhaps try to find the reason for your anger within yourself or with the aid of a friend or a professional.
The great hope is that you are aware of it.
Practice metta, Karuna, Muditha and Upekkha

In addition, eating the right food, doing regular exercise, and walking outside in the bright light also may help.
I know few people who are in a reasonable mental state after suffering from depression.
You are in a hopeful situation and continue to work on it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Radix wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:13 pm
dharmacorps wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:03 pm Seek help from professionals
How will the OP recognize a professional?
It involves something outside of an internet forum (in person, in the flesh). Resources vary from country to country.

I'm sorry you are struggling with depression, Radix. I suspected that. It is very difficult and can be discouraging.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Seek professional help. Ask them if rather than taking a lot of anti depressants, doing regular exercise, meeting more often with friends and family, learning new things like exotic food recipes, a foreign language, etc., helping others with work, or a little money or whatever help you can offer, and being aware of the present moment and what surrounds you, would help improve your health. They might know the answer and know what could work best for you.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

My advice is to seek professional help.
The success rate with the combination of cognitive behavioral therapy CBT and medication is pretty good.
Depression is a common mental disorder. Globally, it is estimated that 5% of adults suffer from the disorder. It is characterized by persistent sadness and a lack of interest or pleasure in previously rewarding or enjoyable activities. It can also disturb sleep and appetite. Tiredness and poor concentration are common. Depression is a leading cause of disability around the world and contributes greatly to the global burden of disease. The effects of depression can be long-lasting or recurrent and can dramatically affect a person’s ability to function and live a rewarding life.

The causes of depression include complex interactions between social, psychological and biological factors. Life events such as childhood adversity, loss and unemployment contribute to and may catalyse the development of depression.

Psychological and pharmacological treatments exist for depression.
Depression is highly treatable, with reports of 80% to 90% of people eventually responding well to treatment. Improvements can be found in medications, psychotherapy, or the combination of both. Up to 80% of those treated for depression show an improvement in their symptoms generally within four to six weeks of beginning medication, psychotherapy, attending support groups or a combination of these treatments.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

First, let me tell you that I'm a Buddhist monk who has been teaching meditation for more than 10 years. I've significant practical knowledge in psychotherapy, and have helped many with my knowledge of meditation and psychotherapy. You could say I'm an unpaid mental health professional.

If you're interested, you can PM me.
robertk

Post by robertk »

dharmacorps wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:55 pm

I'm sorry you are struggling with depression, Radix. I suspected that. It is very difficult and can be discouraging.
I think it was the OP who mentioned having depression, not Radix. :anjali:
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

My five year depression consisted of exhaustion all the time; even after 12 hours of continual rest. It put a tax on my marriage as my wife did her best to cope with my constant sleeping, but felt her life was slipping away while I slept mine away.

The big change for me was a career change. I found a job where I actually had purpose. It invigorated me and gave my life meaning. For once in my life I felt like I was making a difference.

It’s hard to find purpose in this world where most of us are cogs in a wheel, putting our eight hours of gruelling and often mindless labour into something we’re not even invested in.

I’d recommend finding a purpose in life. Much easier said than done. But everyone is good at something and has a dream job. Though we might not know what it is until we’ve started working at it.

What kind of career do you have? Is it something you could change? Do you think that might improve things?
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Pondera wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:05 am My five year depression consisted of exhaustion all the time; even after 12 hours of continual rest. It put a tax on my marriage as my wife did her best to cope with my constant sleeping, but felt her life was slipping away while I slept mine away.

The big change for me was a career change. I found a job where I actually had purpose. It invigorated me and gave my life meaning. For once in my life I felt like I was making a difference.

It’s hard to find purpose in this world where most of us are cogs in a wheel, putting our eight hours of gruelling and often mindless labour into something we’re not even invested in.

I’d recommend finding a purpose in life. Much easier said than done. But everyone is good at something and has a dream job. Though we might not know what it is until we’ve started working at it.

What kind of career do you have? Is it something you could change? Do you think that might improve things?
Agree.
I know another person who suffered from depression and change the job for something sh/e felt worthwhile.
This person is now getting a lower pay but is determined to stay there as it helps the person with depression.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”