Fasting for uposatha...

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Joe.c

Re: Fasting for uposatha...

Post by Joe.c »

asahi wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:26 am No i dont think so , how does food is given up !
When one has perfected restraint and able to maintain samadhi. One will give up food (doesn't mean totally not eating), then the food is used merely for supporting the holy body only (very little food is needed).

Because the physical body is always still (balance). Breathing is little/no. No need extra metabolism, less work. Mind will not move ever anymore. Even without eating, one can stay at 2nd jhana to feed with piti the body/mind like abhassara world being.

This mean the physical body will not grow anymore. This is why look at the Bhikkhu's body who teach samadhi (before and after) and confirm his daily life. You will understand or NOT. 😁

If not, well good luck.

No samma samadhi = no give up human food yet.

As usual, anything can be tested in this teaching, it is not merely talking or commentary. 😁
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.
noumena

Post by noumena »

I sometimes drink sweet drinks in the evening when I fast, because absolute caloric restriction gives me dangerously low blood sugars. I treat it as medicine.

I have mixed feelings about my personal consumption of tea, zero-calorie caffeinated soda, or energy drinks on my fast days. The way I interpret the rules, they are permissible. But why I drink them instead of simply water or sugar-water (which are "medicinal" in my opinion) is for the pleasant feelings I have when tasting and enjoying them. I could argue that flavored drinks, caffeine, and nicotine serve medicinal purposes. There's no reason why something can't be medicinal and pleasant.

So I consider these indulgences "permissible" while not "ideal." I'm practicing religion, after all... :juggling:

In a similar vein on diet, I think it can be argued that Buddhism permits lay followers to buy and consume meat, but certainly doesn't promote it. I'm able to healthily abstain from eating meat on at least Uposatha days without consequence, so I do that.

It seems there's some consensus that flavored drinks are permitted on Uposatha days. A few people are big on just-water. For those who drink tea, coffee, juice, etc -- what are your reflections on your practice? Very few people at my vihara observe Uposatha and your perspectives would be valued. Overall this has been a fun thread to read and I enjoyed reading everyone's responses.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

noumena wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:19 pm
It seems there's some consensus that flavored drinks are permitted on Uposatha days. A few people are big on just-water. For those who drink tea, coffee, juice, etc -- what are your reflections on your practice? Very few people at my vihara observe Uposatha and your perspectives would be valued. Overall this has been a fun thread to read and I enjoyed reading everyone's responses.
I have been fasting since noon here, and drinking water and coffee sweetened with honey. The coffee is needed because I was working, and I didn't get much sleep last night (different, less comfortable bed!) and it's hot, so I wanted to stay alert. I'll switch to herbal tea this evening.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:35 pm
Radix wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:30 pm
Why are the allowable items called "allowable"? Simply "because the Buddha said so"? If he said so, why aren't they called "mandatory"?
Because they are allowed, if people want them.
This sounds as if the Buddha would say, "Before midday, choose items from Menu A, and after midday, choose items from Menu B, as you please".
Mumfie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:58 amIf, however, one understands vikālabhojanā veramaṇī correctly, as the distinctive concept that it actually is, then one will see a fault only in those cases where:

(1) something defined by the Buddha as a 'food' is consumed during the vikāla;
(2) something defined by the Buddha as a 'tonic' is consumed during the vikāla when the person is not actually depleted in strength or energy or afflicted with hunger;
(3) something defined by the Buddha as a 'medicine' is consumed during the vikāla when the person is not actually sick.
The standard, the baseline is to refrain from consumption of food during the vikala. This is the standard, the criterion implied when certain items are called "allowed". The allowables are only for the cases when the above requirements are met (ie. when the item isn't classified as "food", when the person is actually depleted in strength or energy or afflicted with hunger, or when the person is actually sick). The allowables aren't a matter of choosing items from a menu as one pleases.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Radix wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:10 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:35 pm
Radix wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:30 pm
Why are the allowable items called "allowable"? Simply "because the Buddha said so"? If he said so, why aren't they called "mandatory"?
Because they are allowed, if people want them.
This sounds as if the Buddha would say, "Before midday, choose items from Menu A, and after midday, choose items from Menu B, as you please".
It doesn't sound like that to me, so if you find your view to be disagreeable then this is a reminder that other viewpoints are available.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:43 pm It doesn't sound like that to me, so if you find your view to be disagreeable then this is a reminder that other viewpoints are available.
*sigh*
Well, it's a relief to know that after forty years of doing what you've been doing, you're still not sure whether Buddhism is true or not. There's still hope for the Dhamma!
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis