Chanting in fearful times

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ontheway

Re: Chanting in fearful times

Post by Ontheway »

Buddhaguna or a simple "Buddham saraṇaṁ gacchami" will do.

I don't think you can remember or chant a long paragraph of ancient language in times of fear.

Instead of long chanting (which you might not even know the exact meaning and might confused), you should have certain phrase or short paragraph that you have 100% confidence and faith for its meaning and significance, together with understanding.

Should the plane really crashing and heading to unavoidable death, by recalling the virtues of the Buddha (Dhamma or Sangha), one will certainly heading towards good rebirth destination.

Or you can simply recalling the good deeds or your virtues.

Considering this incident, how these 701 people at their final minutes, taken up five precepts before they perish in the sea, then reborn into Tavatimsa Heaven and known as Satullapakāyika devata.

https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/satullapakayika
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

3ball wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:49 pm I had an especially terrifying flight the other day. Is there a good short chant I can do in times of peril? Especially something from the suttas? Thanks!
Sacca-kiriya is extremely powerful...

"Sacca-kiriyā (Pāli; Sanskrit: satya-kriya, but more often: satyādhiṣṭhāna)[2][3][note 1] is a solemn declaration of truth, expressed in ritual speech. Most often found in Buddhism, it can be an utterance with regard to one's own virtue, or with regard to a certain fact, followed by a command or resolution. Such a statement is believed to effect a wonder-working power that can benefit oneself and others, depending on the truthfulness of the person making the statement..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacca-kiriya

Listen to this monk...a demon(asura) took over his body and nearly killed him...the Sacca-kiriya was his last resort...

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Kusala wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:54 am ....
Interesting story. :thanks: :anjali:

I wonder whether someone who wasn't a monk - maybe a curious tourist, for example - would have had the same experience.