Fragrance of the virtuous

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Kusala

Fragrance of the virtuous

Post by Kusala »

"Not the sweet smell of flowers, not even the fragrance of sandal, tagara, or jasmine blows against the wind. But the fragrance of the virtuous blows against the wind. Truly the virtuous man pervades all directions with the fragrance of his virtue." - Dhammapada https://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/dp04.htm

"One local Christian blogger also read the articles about the two pastors and Ajahn Brahmavamso, noticed the contrast they highlighted and commented that 'maybe God is speaking to us through a Buddhist monk'. That’s an interesting way of looking at it. It doesn't matter who says it, does it, thinks it, suggests it or writes it, God always gets the credit - even when it actually originated from the Buddha or one of his disciples. But anyway, surely Christians don’t need to listen to a Buddhist monk to know what Jesus taught about wealth and worldly success. Its already in the Bible."

https://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2008/10/ ... -news.html
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Fragrance of the virtuous

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This is a related event that I know of, from a reliable person. This person called a stranger, who was a Bhikshu, and noticed a definite cool breeze wafting from ear piece. (This was years ago when telephones had listening and speaking sections in one hand-held piece.) This cool breeze continued for the entire phone call of ten minutes or so.
Buddha taught cultivators to hear Dharma & to contemplate it, to contemplate Dharma & to cultivate it, to cultivate Dharma & then to realize it. Master Hua.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:41 pm This is a related event that I know of, from a reliable person. This person called a stranger, who was a Bhikshu, and noticed a definite cool breeze wafting from ear piece. (This was years ago when telephones had listening and speaking sections in one hand-held piece.) This cool breeze continued for the entire phone call of ten minutes or so.
Cool breezes in churches are also quite common indicators that a portal to heaven has opened (not even kidding here). Divine sounds are also common occurrences through these portals during especially faithful services. In all honesty; sometimes it’s just a breeze through the window 😂

I do not miss my church going experiences as a child or adolescent. However as a young man I went on an especially spiritual journey where (during that time) my Mom dragged me to a few Pentecostal service (my mom is a devout Christian).

At the first, I brought my energy to the service. I was astonished by the fever of the faithful. There was nothing particularly spiritual about the service, but the level of devotion (especially among the youth) was a sight to see.

During the bands performance (which the congregation was deeply involved in) a heavenly portal opened up at he stage (I’m not making this up - these things happen when the faithful congregate). A divine sound came forth. The stereotypical “divine sound from heaven” is not a mere cliche. And if you think Christians don’t know a thing or two about angels (ie. devas), you’re wrong. When a Christian says the angels sing to god all day long, they’re not kidding. They don’t sing hymns or pop songs. They emit the divine sound. I have no doubt the Buddha was capable of hearing these same heavenly chords with his divine ear.

People tend to look at the Christian faith with mockery. And, with all due respect, traditional baptist/mainline Protestant churches are very boring and dogmatic. Especially the large ones.

It’s these small chapels where the crazy Pentecost’s truly evoke the love and favour of God. And cool breezes and divine noises are all a part of these quite secretive get togethers.

We think of monestaries as quiet and reserved places of peace. But I believe that when we read about the original sangha there would have been a religious ecstasy in the air. The Buddha was known for his fondness of silence, but he was also known to “rouse and fire up” his devotees. And the presence of devas (angels) was a common occurrence in the presence of the sangha.

Imagine that devas would come to participate in the discourses of the Buddha? Imagine all of that spiritual energy in the air; the cool breezes; the divine sounds; and smells. Religious fervour is definitely lacking in the world when it comes to Buddhism. There is no lack of it among the Pentecostals however. I sometimes regret not having a spiritual congregation to attend. One where the sheer joy of heaven overflowed into the setting. But, what kind of person would I be to attend such ceremonies on a regular basis without truly believing in the redemption of Christ?

I highly recommend people here audit a Pentecostal church service. You might be surprised by how spiritually evolved some of the people there are. You might be surprised at the power of worship … giving all of your strength and faith to God … giving it to heaven … and then those rare magical things happen.

In fact, wherever people gather there is magic. I’ve worked at many restaurants where you can feel the energy in the air. And I’ve worked at many dismal places where the job robs you of your very soul.

Now a days, I’m a lone wolf. I enjoy my own peace of mind. My days of ecstatic religious fervour have passed and I am happy to have had them. To all the young folks - audit a Christian service. Don’t worry about getting sucked in by the dogma or any belief that you’re not being a true Buddhist. Just go. Go and see how the spiritually full people of the world worship God. It’s quite an experience. Ultimately impermanent, but wonderous to say the very least.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Pondera wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:57 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:41 pm This is a related event that I know of, from a reliable person. This person called a stranger, who was a Bhikshu, and noticed a definite cool breeze wafting from ear piece. (This was years ago when telephones had listening and speaking sections in one hand-held piece.) This cool breeze continued for the entire phone call of ten minutes or so.
Cool breezes in churches are also quite common indicators that a portal to heaven has opened (not even kidding here). Divine sounds are also common occurrences through these portals during especially faithful services. In all honesty; sometimes it’s just a breeze through the window 😂

I do not miss my church going experiences as a child or adolescent. However as a young man I went on an especially spiritual journey where (during that time) my Mom dragged me to a few Pentecostal service (my mom is a devout Christian).

At the first, I brought my energy to the service. I was astonished by the fever of the faithful. There was nothing particularly spiritual about the service, but the level of devotion (especially among the youth) was a sight to see.

During the bands performance (which the congregation was deeply involved in) a heavenly portal opened up at he stage (I’m not making this up - these things happen when the faithful congregate). A divine sound came forth. The stereotypical “divine sound from heaven” is not a mere cliche. And if you think Christians don’t know a thing or two about angels (ie. devas), you’re wrong. When a Christian says the angels sing to god all day long, they’re not kidding. They don’t sing hymns or pop songs. They emit the divine sound. I have no doubt the Buddha was capable of hearing these same heavenly chords with his divine ear.

People tend to look at the Christian faith with mockery. And, with all due respect, traditional baptist/mainline Protestant churches are very boring and dogmatic. Especially the large ones.

It’s these small chapels where the crazy Pentecost’s truly evoke the love and favour of God. And cool breezes and divine noises are all a part of these quite secretive get togethers.

We think of monestaries as quiet and reserved places of peace. But I believe that when we read about the original sangha there would have been a religious ecstasy in the air. The Buddha was known for his fondness of silence, but he was also known to “rouse and fire up” his devotees. And the presence of devas (angels) was a common occurrence in the presence of the sangha.

Imagine that devas would come to participate in the discourses of the Buddha? Imagine all of that spiritual energy in the air; the cool breezes; the divine sounds; and smells. Religious fervour is definitely lacking in the world when it comes to Buddhism. There is no lack of it among the Pentecostals however. I sometimes regret not having a spiritual congregation to attend. One where the sheer joy of heaven overflowed into the setting. But, what kind of person would I be to attend such ceremonies on a regular basis without truly believing in the redemption of Christ?

I highly recommend people here audit a Pentecostal church service. You might be surprised by how spiritually evolved some of the people there are. You might be surprised at the power of worship … giving all of your strength and faith to God … giving it to heaven … and then those rare magical things happen.

In fact, wherever people gather there is magic. I’ve worked at many restaurants where you can feel the energy in the air. And I’ve worked at many dismal places where the job robs you of your very soul.

Now a days, I’m a lone wolf. I enjoy my own peace of mind. My days of ecstatic religious fervour have passed and I am happy to have had them. To all the young folks - audit a Christian service. Don’t worry about getting sucked in by the dogma or any belief that you’re not being a true Buddhist. Just go. Go and see how the spiritually full people of the world worship God. It’s quite an experience. Ultimately impermanent, but wonderous to say the very least.
chatgpt?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:11 am

chatgpt?
You’re comparing me to the most advanced AI system in the world?

1) thank you. My writing is coherent and intelligent enough to pass as advanced AI (in your opinion).
2) I don’t appreciate that. I wouldn’t sink so low. And the fact that you’re suggesting I would is insulting.
[james]

Post by [james] »

Pondera wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:48 pm
I always (well almost always ) appreciate your posts, both the reverence and the humour.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Another example, as the story came to me. This chap was working on a survey crew in the scrub brush high desert of Wyoming many years ago. Of a sudden the powerful scent of roses came upon him. No flowers around, especially roses. The fragrance lasted long enough for him to call to other crew members "anyone smell those roses"? No one said yes.
No explanation save that a deva was passing near us?
Buddha taught cultivators to hear Dharma & to contemplate it, to contemplate Dharma & to cultivate it, to cultivate Dharma & then to realize it. Master Hua.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

[james] wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:43 pm
I always (well almost always ) appreciate your posts, both the reverence and the humour.
Namaste. I do what I can. Often misunderstood. But not always. :anjali:
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:55 pm Another example, as the story came to me. This chap was working on a survey crew in the scrub brush high desert of Wyoming many years ago. Of a sudden the powerful scent of roses came upon him. No flowers around, especially roses. The fragrance lasted long enough for him to call to other crew members "anyone smell those roses"? No one said yes.
No explanation save that a deva was passing near us?
A tell tale sign of Jesus himself. The woody, rosey, ephemeral and (most significantly) ancient tones of the “rose” smell are an attribute of that, now, two thousand year old teacher. I liken it to an old mossy piece of wool. Somewhat damp. It gives off that musty, comforting odour. As do the ancient teachers who have cultivated such attitudes as loving kindness. Jesus smells good
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

chatgpt?

1) thank you. My writing is coherent and intelligent enough to pass as advanced AI (in your opinion).
2) I don’t appreciate that. I wouldn’t sink so low. And the fact that you’re suggesting I would is insulting.
I was just playing with you..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:03 am

chatgpt?

I was just playing with you..
You should stop playing with chatGPT. Cause whatever your game is, it doesn’t make much sense.