NYC is Building Anti-Homeless Streets…

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps this may cause an anti NYC sentiments too. Once I went to Singapore and they used smelly gas to discourage people from sitting on the building corners. This happened about 20 years ago but that bad experience still resonates with me and I hate to go there.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mahabrahma

Re: NYC is Building Anti-Homeless Streets…

Post by Mahabrahma »

Upsetting. Unkind. Mean. Even evil.
འ་ཨ་ཤ་ས་མ་ཧ།།

AH AAH SHA SA MA HA
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

And yet the idea of "seeing less homeless people" is probably a pleasant and delightful notion to most people, at least implictly. They may not agree with the methods, but they probably don't enjoy seeing homeless people.

Why? Because most people do not like to be confronted with that which is unpleasant. It is the same reason even people familiar to some lesser degree with the Dhamma will distract themselves in their free time rather than spend the whole time in contemplation. I'm not saying I'm any better, either. This anti-homeless street is just an exemplar of a more fundamental problem with existence. The default nature of experience is unsatisfactory, and we spend all our time trying to cover it up because sense pleasures are the only respite we think there is.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

This is called "hostile architecture".

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

BlackBird wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:23 am And yet the idea of "seeing less homeless people" is probably a pleasant and delightful notion to most people, at least implictly. They may not agree with the methods, but they probably don't enjoy seeing homeless people.

Why? Because most people do not like to be confronted with that which is unpleasant. It is the same reason even people familiar to some lesser degree with the Dhamma will distract themselves in their free time rather than spend the whole time in contemplation. I'm not saying I'm any better, either. This anti-homeless street is just an exemplar of a more fundamental problem with existence. The default nature of experience is unsatisfactory, and we spend all our time trying to cover it up because sense pleasures are the only respite we think there is.
:goodpost:
Good to know you are still here blackbird. :D
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

SarathW wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:54 am
BlackBird wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:23 am And yet the idea of "seeing less homeless people" is probably a pleasant and delightful notion to most people, at least implictly. They may not agree with the methods, but they probably don't enjoy seeing homeless people.

:goodpost:
Good to know you are still here blackbird. :D
I'm just dipping my toes in. Good to see you too.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think we are living an artificial fake life.
For instance, we hate weeds. We like manicured gardens.
After a while, we get used to the artificial way. (trees cut like boxes and balloons etc.)
I get council notices for not keeping my garden according to their standards!
This society can collapse in a very bad way one day.