Life of a Meditator: An Interview with Bhikkhu Anālayo

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Life of a Meditator: An Interview with Bhikkhu Anālayo

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

from Barre Center for Buddhist Studies

what I mainly hope to do with however much time remains for me is just to live the quiet life of a meditator
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭..
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. N. MN.22

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Cause_and_Effect

Re: Life of a Meditator: An Interview with Bhikkhu Anālayo

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

:goodpost:

A man who lives the Dhamma.
An inspiration for us all.

"The one who recites many teachings but acts not accordingly, like a heedless cowherd counting the cows of others — he does not attain the benefits of the holy life."

"The one recites only few teachings, but puts those teachings into practice - abandoning greed, aversion, and delusion;
with insight and liberated mind, clinging to nothing of this or any other world — he gains the benefits of the holy life."

Dhammapada

Of course Bhante is also a renowned scholar, but his priorities are always with a life dedicated to meditation.

It's also interesting that he attributes much of his early self discipline to training in Japanese and Chinese martial arts, which have a well known relation to meditative practices.
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

An interesting read (read it long ago).
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Apapurati

Post by Apapurati »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:57 pm from Barre Center for Buddhist Studies

what I mainly hope to do with however much time remains for me is just to live the quiet life of a meditator
Thank you :anjali:
The less greed, aversion, and delusion you have in your mind, the less you inflict them on other people.