I encourage you to practice 8 precepts

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
mario92

I encourage you to practice 8 precepts

Post by mario92 »

Hello all i encourage you to practice 8 precepts, it doesnt matter if you can not practice completely but give it a try, even if practised half a day or half of them is really good, is merit.

As a beginner i had wrong views about 8 precepts, i tought i had to meditate to practice them, or that i should be celibate days before, or that i couldnt because of hunger. But with practice i could adjust the practice. If i were to have a correct opinion about them i could have practised years before, but i had incorrect ideas about it. It is even useful to fight xxx adiction. So i encourage you to do it. Just find a day you rest from work, it is more easy because you wont be over bussy.

I hope i could do it before, but i was incorrect, 8 precepts is really useful.

The trick is to practice 5 precepts during the week (which is difficult) and then on the rest day practice 8 precepts. To deal with hunger, eat the night before, and in the morning eat protein as much as you can, vegetal and animal. Then if you get really hungry after 12 pm drink fruit juice, and later if again with hunger eat butter with natural honey. Which are the tonics. Of course you can do it on Uposatha days but for me is more easy on rest day. You can even attain jhana if done correctly. :namaste:
SarathW

Re: I encourage you to practice 8 precepts

Post by SarathW »

:goodpost:
However, I suggest at least try one whole day not half a day.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Suddh

Post by Suddh »

SarathW wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am :goodpost:
Indeed. Otherwise you could be abstaining from eating at the wrong time exclusively at the right time, and abstaining from sexual intercourse except when you're in bed with your wife.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Suddh wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:48 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am :goodpost:
Indeed. Otherwise you could be abstaining from eating at the wrong time exclusively at the right time, and abstaining from sexual intercourse except when you're in bed with your wife.
Thanks.
You got the point.
:twothumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Yes i referred to the extra precepts :namaste: