Wikipedia says that this book was written in India

But I didn't see Anapānassati Nimitta in another book in India

I read Anapānassati Nimitta in the Theravada book

It is kind of weird

Did I miss anything?
Ceisiwr

Re: Nimitta of Vimuttimagga

Post by Ceisiwr »

colagen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:53 pm Wikipedia says that this book was written in India

But I didn't see Anapānassati Nimitta in another book in India

I read Anapānassati Nimitta in the Theravada book

It is kind of weird

Did I miss anything?
Theravāda also had monasteries on the mainland at one point.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
colagen

Post by colagen »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:06 pm
What I'm curious about is

Because I think those books are related

There's a 4-step 6-step Anapānassati in Indian books

The meditation above resembles 6-steps (Abhidharmakośabhāṣya, except for Nimitta)

The meditation method of the Zen master at the bottom resembles 4-steps (佛說大安般守意經)

I think Nimitta is the difference.

Would other schools have rejected Nimitta? :thinking:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

colagen wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:34 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:06 pm

Because I think those books are related

There's a 4-step 6-step Anapānassati in Indian books

The meditation above resembles 6-steps (Abhidharmakośabhāṣya, except for Nimitta)

The meditation method of the Zen master at the bottom resembles 4-steps (佛說大安般守意經)

I think Nimitta is the difference.

Would other schools have rejected Nimitta? :thinking:
If you look at say the Dhyāna sutras you see something like nimittas occurring

"At first, one uses proper mindfulness to admonish and halt five desires. Although one has not attained the ground [of the first dhyāna], the mind is joyful, delightful, soft, harmonious, and gentle; the body has bright light. When one attains the first dhyāna, its mark is that it continuously changes, increases, and excels [than before]. Because the four elements of the Desire Realm spread fully all over the body, which is soft, harmonious, gentle, and joyful signs, and the mind leaves bad desire and unwholesome deed, then the samādhi of single-minded thought can cause one having joy and happiness.183 Forms created in the Form Realm have the feature of bright light. Hence, the cultivator sees the wonderful and bright light emitting from the body internally and externally..." - Chán fǎ yào jiě (Essential Explanation of The Method of Dhyāna)

Interestingly this is also seen in the Visuddhimagga, but its not called a nimitta there
1. Herein, illumination is illumination due to insight.34 When it arises, the meditator thinks, “Such illumination never arose in me before. I have surely reached the path, reached fruition;” thus he takes what is not the path to be the path and what is not fruition to be fruition. When he takes what is not the path to be the pathand what is not fruition to be fruition, the course of his insight is interrupted. He drops his own basic meditation subject and sits just enjoying the illumination.
108. But this illumination arises in one bhikkhu illuminating only as much as the seat he is sitting on; in another, the interior of his room; in another, the exterior of his room; in another the whole monastery … a quarter league … a half league … a league … two leagues … three leagues; in another bhikkhu it arises making a single light from the earth’s surface up to the Brahmá-world. But in the Blessed One it arose illuminating the ten-thousandfold world-element.
CHAPTER XX Purification by Knowledge & Vision of What Is & Is Not the Path - Visuddhimagga

From the sub-commentary to this passage
34. “‘Illumination due to insight’ is the luminous materiality originated by insight consciousness, and that originated by temperature belonging to his own continuity. Of these, that originated by insight consciousness is bright and is found only in the meditator’s body. The other kind is independent of his body and spreads all round over what is capable of being experienced by knowledge. It becomes manifest to him too, and he sees anything material in the place touched by it”
- Vism-mhṭ 816

You also see in the Sarvāstivādin literature talk of seeing "pure white light" when focusing on the image of bones in the body, when you mentally peel away the flesh and skin similar to what we see in DN 28 or in seeing the whole world as being composed of skeletons, similar to what we see in the Visuddhimagga
55. It seems that as the elder was on his way from Cetiyapabbata to Anurádhapura for alms, a certain daughter-in-law of a clan, who had quarrelled with her husband and had set out early from Anurádhapura all dressed up and tricked out like a celestial nymph to go to her relatives’ home, saw him on the road, and being lowminded, [21] she laughed a loud laugh. [Wondering] “What is that?” the elder looked up and finding in the bones of her teeth the perception of foulness (ugliness), he reached Arahantship.15 Hence it was said:

“He saw the bones that were her teeth,
And kept in mind his first perception;
And standing on that very spot
The elder became an Arahant.”

But her husband, who was going after her, saw the elder and asked, “Venerable sir, did you by any chance see a woman?” The elder told him:

“Whether it was a man or woman
That went by I noticed not,
But only that on this high road
There goes a group of bones.”
CHAPTER I Description of Virtue - Visuddhimagga

The counterpart sign is really just the mind making sense of the refined experience that comes with deep meditation, based on which meditation is being done.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

Brightness in the mind is merely a 'sign' of 'cleansing'... a mind divorced of the five hindrances.

It's nothing to fixate on unless you're in fourth jhana and after super powers.
colagen

Post by colagen »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:10 pm

Thank you. Yes, they have Kasina Meditation

It seems that Nimitta exists

Nimitta in Breath Meditation

As you know, five senses are eliminated from the 1st Jhana or 2nd Jhana of Sarvastivada

Is it possible to concentrate that much without Nimitta?

The Patikulamanasikara of the Abhidharmakośa seems possible

I think Anapanasati of the Abhidharmakośa doesn't have Nimitta, seems a little vague